Huffing a tarantula - my T smells... AMAZING!!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At the risk of seeming even more eccentric than I already do on this forum, I have to post about this. My Carlsbad green smells... AMAZING. Can't put my finger on it but it's an earthy incense like scent that only she has. I have 14 different tarantulas in my collection and she is the only one with this lovely aroma. All 14 of my babies eat the same thing use the same substrate have the same heat eat the same food and the same time and are all within at least 6 feet of each other in my house so I'm guessing environmental factors are all the same. But with her, I can smell her delightful scent even through the top screen of her cage and when I handle her the sent is relatively strong and remains on my hands for a good 10 minutes after. Many people agree that she has a quite unique and Pleasant scent, some say it's similar to pachouli oil but I feel it's similar, but a less pungent odor. I have tried bottling the scent by touching her with a paper towel and sticking that paper towel in a jar - I'll see if it saves. I have given all my cages a good with and none of them seem to have this unique and gorgeous smell.
My arizona blonde has a similar scent but it's very weak as u can only detect it if u smell him directly while handling and it's so light that it doesn't linger. So... Now I ask you all, do your Ts have a particularly good - or bad - smell? Does anyone have this same experience w a Carlsbad green? Or arizona blonde?

--J.Haas

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I don't own either spider Carlsbad green I don't often see for sale. My smell isn't good enough , nose always clogged.
What substrate you use could this effect the scent ???

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All fourteen have the same substrate, same heat, same food, same everything... So I doubt it's the substrate. Besides the smell itself is nothing like substrate... I've smell-checked all my cages several times before and it's just her for some reason? I know someone who said that their mm rosea smelled like vinegar no matter how many times she changed the cage. But this is a wonderful smell, I don't want it to go away by any means. Just curious if anyone else has had similar olfactory mysteries.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My adult female A. chalcodes also had a vey distinctive scent before she passed. I thought it was a product of old age, as she was quite old when I first got her. You're not alone in this. It was an interesting and pleasant scent in my opinion.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh wow! Cool! I'm not crazy after all lol! But my carlsbad green has always had this and she's 15 now... I've had her for years and years. But got her as a MF.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Oh wow! Cool! I'm not crazy after all lol! But my carlsbad green has always had this and she's 15 now... I've had her for years and years. But got her as a MF.
Maybe someday ill buy these species, my A anax is tiny 4.5-5" not very bulky. Easy to house due to small size.
I would like a very good smelling T :)

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
do you ever spray your house with scents after or during cleaning your house? or do you ever light incense in your house?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not really, no. Besides it's not the same scent as an incense and it only affect my carlsbad green and Arizona blonde, so I highly doubt it is due to home fragrances

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
Ah yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. Be careful, that smell is addictive!

Latest research shows that tarantulas have developed a special kind of pheromone which, when inhaled by a human, affects the human central nervous system, giving the keeper a compulsion to buy more tarantulas and eventually breed them, thus providing a special survival mechanism. This groundbreaking discovery explains our desire to acquire more and more tarantulas. Eventually humans develop resistance to the pheromone, but while some manage to resist it fairly early and only end up buying two or three new tarantulas, those of us with weaker immune systems find it almost impossible to stop.

This theory explains everything. EVERYTHING!

(okay, I am bulls**tting you)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You're right aBout one thing, all that huffing did get me hooked... Lol

cold blood

Staff member
Y'all are sick and really need to attend AA (Arachnids Anonymous), pronto.

Meetings are at 7pm tonight, my place...bring a dessert and an exoskeleton to share.:)

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Y'all are sick and really need to attend AA (Arachnids Anonymous), pronto.

Meetings are at 7pm tonight, my place...bring a dessert and an exoskeleton to share.:)
lol sounds good, ill be there:)

---------- Post added 11-14-2014 at 06:19 PM ----------

Not really, no. Besides it's not the same scent as an incense and it only affect my carlsbad green and Arizona blonde, so I highly doubt it is due to home fragrances
i think i may buy one then, just to see if they really do have a certain smell to em

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Try it and lemme know if it's is as fragrant as mine!!!

--J.Haas

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got mine years ago at a fair, never seen em for sale anywhere but one time on arachnoboards. You can search Carlsbad green and it may pop up?

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 11-14-2014 at 06:30 PM ----------

The strangest thing I have ever read in this hobby in my life.
Hahaha!! I aim to please

--J.Haas