Eclosure of Hercules moth from New Guinea

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the world's largest insect, Coscinocera hercules from New Guinea. Very difficult to get a hold of these cocoons but I was helped by an importer who said that he could get me a Bengal Tiger if I ever wanted one!

Coscinocera hercules, male (The females are considerably larger but don't have the cool tails.)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Amazing, another reason I Still love moths. :biggrin: Looks like a Atlas / cecropia , luna moth so epic.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Amazing, another reason I Still love moths. :biggrin: Looks like a Atlas / cecropia , luna moth so epic.
Quite an exotic creature isn't it?! I'd had a prized pinned female Hercules in my collection when I was younger, but to be privileged enough to experience one in real life, fresh and glorious just out of the cocoon, was a great thrill for me! :D

Amazing! That is one beautiful moth. How are you keeping it? What are you feeding it?
These images were actually taken about six years ago. Saturniids are spectacular creatures to be sure, but sadly they rarely live for more than about a week as adults, just long enough to mate ... all of the eating is done in the larval stage, functional mouthparts in adults are entirely lacking .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Quite an exotic creature isn't it?! I'd had a prized pinned female Hercules in my collection when I was younger, but to be privileged enough to experience one in real life, fresh and glorious just out of the cocoon, was a great thrill for me! :D

These images were actually taken about six years ago. Saturniids are spectacular creatures to be sure, but sadly they rarely live for more than about a week as adults, just long enough to mate ... all of the eating is done in the larval stage, functional mouthparts in adults are entirely lacking .
Yeah Shame they dont live long, I raised moth caterpillars a long time ago, so cool to see in real life. I raised luna & promethious moths & let them free.,

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt anyone in the states are selling the larvae... it'd be nice however.
I use to raise polyphemus, luna moths, pipevine, tiger, spicebush, and giant swallowtails, then the classic monarchs. It was a blast. I don't know why I got out of that..

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah Shame they dont live long, I raised moth caterpillars a long time ago, so cool to see in real life. I raised luna & promethious moths & let them free.,
A shame it is indeed, though I enjoyed the caterpillars every bit as much as the adults so it was for me never a matter of only finding satisfaction during the relatively shorter lifetime of the adults.

You can take that as a certainty!

I use to raise polyphemus, luna moths, pipevine, tiger, spicebush, and giant swallowtails, then the classic monarchs. It was a blast. I don't know why I got out of that..

Raising Lepidoptera was my first and greatest passion as well ... in my case it had to come to an end when I moved off of my childhood farm.

Still, I haven't lost the deep desire to keep and raise "bugs" (in the widest sense), which is doubtless what brought me into the hobby of raising Ts, and now very recently mantids as well. Not as pets exactly, but it just doesn't feel right not having living, growing things around me.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
yeah I now keep Ts & miss caterpillars they are so cool. T's just live way longer in your care :). Moths are much quicker to raise though IMO.

Last edited: