Cave Terrarium needs Inhabitant

Zeus515

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, I'm new to the hobby and I really wanted to try my hand at making a custom vivarium that had a sweet cave area. Past that, I haven't figured out what to house in it. I was leaning toward a tailess whip scorpion (Tanzanian) because I think they're cool, or a GBB because I thought that a ton of webs mixed in with the stalactites and stalagmites would be awesome! However I wanted to ask before I put anything in it what people suggestions would be.

It's an ExoTerra 12"Lx12"Wx18"H. I realize that I've created a situation that will make it difficult to maintain humidity in the enclosure, but the top will have soil and some plants to help combat that problem and the bottom of the cave features a pool of water. There is also a passage between cave and the area on top where the plants will be (any suggestions on plants?).

In addition, I would like to ask what people would recommend using to "seal" the tile grout that I used while making this to ensure the Tarantula or critter would be exposed to any harmful chemicals.

I've posted pictures of what it looks like so far and hopefully will get some progress on it tomorrow. Gimme some feedback on what you think! Criticism is taken best if it is constructive cave 8.jpg cave 7.jpg 5.jpg cave6.jpg CAve3.jpg

Zeus515

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I'm hoping to get more grout on there. maybe 2 coats to make sure it stays on there and hit any areas I may have missed. Do you have any constructive criticism for me?

Thanks again!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
thats really cool bro i cant wait to see it finished.. i saw an episode of nat geo that featured assassin bugs feeding on sleeping bats in a cave...a group of assassin bugs would look pretty cool in there..

RomanBuck

Arachnopeon
Seal it with polyurethane. Thats how people seal it for reptiles and it is safe but I would let it cure for a week or so.

Zeus515

Arachnopeon
Ill have to look into assassin bugs for sure. And as for the polyurethane I'll definitely do that. It'll give it a nice glossy shine to make it look more cave-y too, so that's an added bonus! Thanks!! I got to add more grout to it this evening, so it should be getting its first coat of poly soon! More pictures will follow in the near future.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
My assassin bugs will love it there. They will only eat ants though sad lol.. how bout some cave geckos or bent-toed geckos :D

Zeus515

Arachnopeon
Here is a bit of an update, I grouted more of the cave. still gotta do the pillar and some touch-ups as well as a little paint on the top where the soil will be. Thanks for keepin' tabs on this build! Again, any advice would be awesome!
2014-11-21 07.45.15.jpg 2014-11-21 21.48.09.jpg 2014-11-21 21.48.24.jpg 2014-11-21 07.44.57.jpg

RomanBuck

Arachnopeon
I wish I would have thought of this! What about Giant Cave Roaches? (Blaberus giganteus) are really cool and I bet they would look great in the terrarium!

David VB

Arachnosquire
Wauw, that looks awesome!!! Nice idea, hope something neat comes in it ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It looks very interesting, how'd you form the mites and tites? Is the purple stuff just foam board of sorts?

Zeus515

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone! I used a cheapo foam cutter to cut the purple stuff (you nailed it, insulation foam from hardware store). then I made the grout a little more tacky than you would if you were using grout for its intended purpose.

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
That looks Awesome
Like zoo display quality awesome

Like every one else
Can't wait to see the finished produce

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I wouldn't put a GBB in there since a fall would kill it. Maybe a whip scorpion? It might be hard for it to catch its prey though.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
If you're interested in roaches you could put giant cave roaches in there! The simandoa cave roach would be great too! If you're interested in arachnids then I would suggest the giant vinegaroon. I can get you a sight URL where you can obtain these inverts if PM me. Again, Mastigoproctus giganteus, Simandoa conserfariam, and Blaberus giganteus would all look awesome!

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
I am dieing to see how this ended up. I bet it's all webbed up and has a creature lurking ! Hehe

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
Too bad Hemmirrhagus redelli isn't available, it would be perfect for this enclosure.