New L. sp Borneo Black ans K. brunnipes

Enn49

Arachnosquire
They arrived safe and well this morning. Packaging was 1st class, they even had a heat pad in the box.

First the 2 K.brunnipes

Elf - the smallest.

Pixie

Last but not least is Sable, my new L. sp Borneo Black. It didn't take this one long to find a hidey hole.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Awesome, Enn. Glad to see they all arrived safe & sound. Neat names too. :)

Thank you. I knew that this shop always packs well. The picture shows the amount if insulation they had, obviously the Ts and heat pad, still warm, were buried in the middle.

I can't believe how tiny Elf, one of the brunnipes is. I'd bought meal worms for them thinking I'd cut them in half but looking at them it will be more like a quarter each or smaller.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
They arrived safe and well this morning. Packaging was 1st class, they even had a heat pad in the box.

First the 2 K.brunnipes

Elf - the smallest.

Pixie

Last but not least is Sable, my new L. sp Borneo Black. It didn't take this one long to find a hidey hole.

holy crap elf is sooo tiny!! its adorable!:)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Borneo Blacks youngsters are always hungry and always molting, the never get a chance to get plump. A water bowl is mandatory, and I'd keep the substrate somewhat moist. My Lampros and Cyrios don't like to be dry.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Borneo Blacks youngsters are always hungry and always molting, the never get a chance to get plump. A water bowl is mandatory, and I'd keep the substrate somewhat moist. My Lampros and Cyrios don't like to be dry.
I've put a water bowl in now, the pic was taken just after their arrival, and I had read that they like it more moist so the substrate is damp.

I just hope the 2 K.brunnipes will manage the tiny crickets I have. I did buy mealworms for them intending to cut them up but the shop said they should take micro crickets.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
A water bowl is mandatory
No it's not. If this were true, the mother of the slings I sent you last year would of died a long time ago. She has never had a waterbowl. I would just use a different word than mandatory. :)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No it's not. If this were true, the mother of the slings I sent you last year would of died a long time ago. She has never had a waterbowl. I would just use a different word than mandatory. :)
Yeah Ts drink from substrate water , if they have no water bowl & get water from food source. How else would G rosea survive the Atacama desert. I almost always use a water dish , Ts without one get a good chunk of wet sub. :biggrin:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Let me clarify. For people who don't have the experience that you do, misting and moist substrate aren't a realistic option for water sources. For the average person, especially someone that doesn't have a feel for spiders yet, it's not a good idea, and those are the ones I was directing the word 'mandatory' to. Keeping spiders without water bowls is an art; you've mastered it, but we have people here starting threads who have trouble with the basics.

Last edited:

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I'm finding these arguments on water bowls or not are getting rather tedious on my threads. I think I have got the point now. Having read all the different comments I have decided to give the bigger slings bowls but the tiny ones will continue to have plants, webs or sides of tubs sprayed every couple of days. The little ones that I've had a while seem to do alright with that.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm finding these arguments on water bowls or not are getting rather tedious on my threads. I think I have got the point now. Having read all the different comments I have decided to give the bigger slings bowls but the tiny ones will continue to have plants, webs or sides of tubs sprayed every couple of days. The little ones that I've had a while seem to do alright with that.

Your Borneo is big enough for a water bowl, that's why I asked. Being an international forum, you will get a variety comments on 'your' thread, and some by people who have a lot more experience than you. Choose from the options suggested.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Your Borneo is big enough for a water bowl, that's why I asked. Being an international forum, you will get a variety comments on 'your' thread, and some by people who have a lot more experience than you. Choose from the options suggested.

Which is why, as already stated I gave it a bowl and as already stated I have chosen the options I prefer which seem to work for many people. My point was in fact that you seem to have a need to bring the subject up on every one of the threads I start as though you consider me unable to retain information that I have already read and digested.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Which is why, as already stated I gave it a bowl and as already stated I have chosen the options I prefer which seem to work for many people. My point was in fact that you seem to have a need to bring the subject up on every one of the threads I start as though you consider me unable to retain information that I have already read and digested.
I help a lot of people and give a lot of advice here. I don't keep track. My life, and the boards, do not revolve around you.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I help a lot of people and give a lot of advice here. I don't keep track. My life, and the boards, do not revolve around you.
I know you do and I do appreciate it, your postings have been a great help to me as a beginner. I just felt it seemed to be every time I posted my slings. If it was oversight then I apologise.

I didn't get them fed tonight but I look forward to watching the Black eat.

Here's a better photo

Enn49

Arachnosquire
They're a dwarf specie, so yup.

When buying dwarfs as slings I wouldn't expect anything over .5cm DLS unless they've had a few molts.
I think I was expecting them to be a little more substantial even though I knew their size before I bought them. My 3 H.incei only grow to 2 inches but they seemed less frail when they came. I shall enjoy the challenge of caring for them though.

The tiniest one has already disappeared from view but the other has burrowed down the side so it's still visible.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Well all 3 have eaten tonight, at least the crickets all seem to have disappeared. I gave the 2 K. brunnipes the tiniest crickets I could find in the box and I guess they've managed them.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Let me clarify. For people who don't have the experience that you do, misting and moist substrate aren't a realistic option for water sources. For the average person, especially someone that doesn't have a feel for spiders yet, it's not a good idea, and those are the ones I was directing the word 'mandatory' to. Keeping spiders without water bowls is an art; you've mastered it, but we have people here starting threads who have trouble with the basics.
I just wanted to clarify, typing mandatory in bold gives off the impression that to raise this species successfully you have to have a waterbowl or it will die. I have not mastered anything on theraphosids, still experimenting and trying to improve on husbandry and what works best for me. :)

Although you created this thread, it is for everyone. So when Rick, I or anyone else lends advise, it is not just for you but the hundreds that are viewing it, hundreds more that will view it and all the people that find this(or any) thread using the search function. :)

Congrats on the new spiders. What I have found works for me when feeding Cyriocosmus eggsacs, is buy bulk pinheads and freeze them, thaw and serve. This is much easier than pre-killing as cricket guts are very sticky. I was spending 1-2 minutes per vial trying to flick the things off my fingers and in the vials. One to two minutes per vial doesn't cut it when you have a few hundred sitting in front of you. The f/t way cut down each vial to 10-15 seconds per. Hope this helps! :D -Chad