Will my tarantula survive?

CobaltRose

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I'm new to the tarantula hobby, and am due to receive a Brachypelma Albopilosum in the post from Virginia Cheeseman (I live in the UK). It'll be shipped next Monday and is due to arrive Tuesday. I am VERY excited, but have one concern. Unfortunately, I am at work on that day and won't arrive home until 6:30 in the evening. The package is due to be delivered before 1PM. My brother is at home all of that day to sign for the package, but will not open it. My question is, will the tarantula survive 5+ hours in it's shipping packaging in my house until I can get home and put it in it's new enclosure? It's not a teeny tiny sling, but it's fairly small (approximately 3cm in body length). This is my first ever tarantula, so of course I am a little concerned. Will my tarantula be okay? According to reviews online, Virginia Cheeseman has an excellent reputation and every review I've seen has been positive in regards to how well packaged her deliveries are, which gives me some hope. I'm most likely being overly concerned over nothing, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Thanks guys! :biggrin:

Hannah

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most likely it will be just fine. Especially if it's being shipped overnight, a few more hours won't hurt. However, check your terms of service. Some distributors specify that the animal must be unpacked within a certain time period of receipt to honor the Live Arrival Guarantee.

Congratulations on your new spider!

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I'm guessing your house isn't freezing cold so they should be fine. They may even be sent with a heat pad in like the ones I received today.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I had 4 slings shipped from UK to Ireland, 3 days in transit, all arrived well and healthy. A lot depends on the care with packing and shipping them. If like you say the supplier has a good reputation for packing, then there should be no issue if the T is healthy.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A lot depends on the care with packing and shipping them.

And the weather. Even big dealers with years in the business can make mistakes in packing, as I have found out. That's why live arrival guarantees are important.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No problem, it will be fine as long as it is taken inside by your brother, if its left outside in the cold that could be bad, but if it is inside it should be fine an extra 5 hours

CobaltRose

Arachnopeon
Hey, just thought I'd update everyone! My Brachypelma Albopilosum arrived safe and well today! I managed to get off work early, but still didn't get home until 5:30. I needn't have worried though. He/she is very healthy and is settling into their new home wonderfully. They've even started to make a web! Very pleased! :D

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great news! This makes me miss the feeling of getting a new T, it's been a while for me haha