new tarantula climbing walls problem

19killer44

Arachnopeon
so a couple of weeks ago i was told to fill up my t's tank so she wont hurt her self from falling if she chooses to climb on the walls. so i filled up my tank and was wondering if this was a safe amount of dirt.
also i ran into another problem i had to cover her den ( the top of it) but i managed to keep the entrance unblocked so she could still get out.

Attachments

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
covering their entrance a little should be no problem. What kind of tarantula and how big is it?

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Going by the rows of vent holes and the tarantula being about 3 rows wide. Height looks to be about 4 times the DLS of this tarantula. This is a guess. I personally try not to go over 2 1/2 times their DLS leg span. But this just my practice for my terrestrials.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Looks ok to me. And the substrate looks loose enough to soften a possible fall.

19killer44

Arachnopeon
ok thanks :) i made sure it was loose and now i just hope i havent stressed the poor girl to much

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At first I thought the first picture was after and I was like o_O The new height looks acceptable, but the enclosure in general is huge for a T that size, if you have a smaller enclosure I would recommend using that instead. Your T will be fine in there however, just may have trouble searching for food, but dropping food close to the T will solve that. I also notice the substrate is not very dry, roseas like very dry substrate so dont pour any water into it, let it dry out and provide a water bowl

19killer44

Arachnopeon
nah shes good on finding food she usually finds it while im asleep half the time she catches it before i even notice while gaming haha

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
this is her, i haven't been able to have her identified yet
Get a nice clear picture of your T and post it on AB, I am sure some of the pros will help you out to I.D your T.

On a side note, I like to put lots of substrate and then compress/push it down, then I will add a top layer that is loose. This way I can ensure my T has nice compact sub to build burrows but still some soft stuff to fall on if it ever does take a fall.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
That is not a G.Rosea it's an Australian species and it's either from the Genus Selenocosmia or Selenotypus. The wetness of the dirt he actually has is literally perfect, not to dry and not to wet just the way our arids like it, the height however isn't.

19killer44

Arachnopeon
she has been acting weird now im not sure if its pre molt but she has abandoned her cave and has now taken residence in a corner of her tank she has webbed all around the walls and dug slightly into the dirt but still on top of the dirt, is this anything to worry about?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is not a G.Rosea it's an Australian species and it's either from the Genus Selenocosmia or Selenotypus. The wetness of the dirt he actually has is literally perfect, not to dry and not to wet just the way our arids like it, the height however isn't.
Yes you're right, I stand corrected, I just assume roseas these days o_O Should look more carefully lol

cold blood

Staff member
ok thanks :) i made sure it was loose and now i just hope i havent stressed the poor girl to much
Always pack the substrate down tightly. If your height is proper there is no reason to create a cushion with loose sub.

19killer44

Arachnopeon
so she has moved from her cave and is now digging in the coner of her enclosure is this a bad sign? she has webbed all around the corner and the floor around it

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has this tarantula molted lately? I don't know what species this is so unsure of their habitats but possibly getting ready to molt. Just a thought. Any way a tarantula that is digging is usually a good sign.