Pyscho LP. Will it calm down?

Experiment397

Arachnopeon
I was on the phone with my local store about some vagans slings and they mentioned that I should take the 3" L. parahybana they have too. I've seen it in person- it's absolutely beautiful and eats nonstop, only problem is that it is completely pyscho. Like threat posture and striking if the lid is open pyscho. They have never seen it kick hairs however. I am thinking this is partly from being kept in a large clear display tank on the counter at the store where it can never really hide and have some privacy away from prying eyes and people wanting to see it. Will it calm down if I put it in a dark tank with multiple hides? I would love to have it, but I don't want to end up with an 8" T with giant fangs that is on full attack mode at all times

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well mine is nice as long as I don't disturb it , keep your hands away use feeding tongs.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I raised male and female sac mates. Both turned monster T when they hit about 3 inches. I traded the male last year and just recently traded the 7+ inch bad attitude female. Same behavior you described: no hair kicking, just full frontal attacks with fangs bared and dripping venom. Some Ts are just cranky.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I raised male and female sac mates. Both turned monster T when they hit about 3 inches. I traded the male last year and just recently traded the 7+ inch bad attitude female. Same behavior you described: no hair kicking, just full frontal attacks with fangs bared and dripping venom. Some Ts are just cranky.
Yeah I love angry Ts , I adopted a chilobrachys from someone who couldnt care for it due to its aggression & speed. It is a lot nicer in my care :) I am giving her wetter sub from now on though.
I will never put my hand near my A genic , or my LP .... 1 inch fangs don't sound good lol.

Last edited:

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
If you get a sweetheart of a deal on the LP with the vagans slings, I'd say go for it. If it's as cranky as the store says, they may just be happy to be rid of it.

Naga

Arachnopeon
Besides, that may not be a "forever attitude anyway. My gf's went from postal to pansy. It runs into its hide at any sign of lid movement

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Besides, that may not be a "forever attitude anyway. My gf's went from postal to pansy. It runs into its hide at any sign of lid movement
Lp's are moody I fed one today it refused food , and showed a threat display. Lp are anything but docile, and they got big fangs. Mine isn't to chunky but some female Lp are very bulky.

Last edited:

nemesisT

Arachnopeon
My LP don't like to be bothered but its always hungry thats for sure

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Individual specimens will have individual personalities. Sometimes these personalities change with a molt, sometimes not. I have a 7.5" female that is very gentle. I can reach right in bare handed and pick her up. After her last molt she has gotten more skittish, but still shows no signs of defensiveness.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Individual specimens will have individual personalities. Sometimes these personalities change with a molt, sometimes not. I have a 7.5" female that is very gentle. I can reach right in bare handed and pick her up. After her last molt she has gotten more skittish, but still shows no signs of defensiveness.
How often do they molt mine is about 6.5" ? once a year or so Til she is full grown? She seems to have a endless appetite.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
only problem is that it is completely pyscho. Like threat posture and striking if the lid is open pyscho. They have never seen it kick hairs however. I am thinking this is partly from being kept in a large clear display tank on the counter at the store where it can never really hide and have some privacy away from prying eyes and people wanting to see it. Will it calm down if I put it in a dark tank with multiple hides? I would love to have it, but I don't want to end up with an 8" T with giant fangs that is on full attack mode at all times
Tarantulas are born with different personalities, that may be shaped to some degree by the conditions they live in. Within the same species, some are clam, others are high strung, and that's subject to change as they grow. As far it's concerned, it's not 'psycho'. It doesn't like intruders, as in the wild, they often kill and eat tarantulas. It has a problem with the giant hands that periodically intrude on it's home (when was the last time those hands where washed?). Perfectly understandable. Lasiodora tend to stay out in the open, so it's defensiveness probably has little to with it being in a display tank. Like any of the big South Americans, they have tremendous appetites. Keep your hands away from them. Don't expect a Brachypelma type of personality from a spider that eats a good share of small vertebrates in the wild.

If defensive spiders are an issue with you, you're best advised to pass on this and many of the species available in the hobby today. There is no reason to think that this LP will calm down. Size isn't necessarily the factor you think it is, as a 5" OBT can be much more challenging than an 8" LP, in speed, aggression, and potency. Believe it or not, there are those of us that prefer fast, defensive spiders.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mine molts once every 2 years. She is constantly very plump and i only need to feed her once a month or so. Even after she molts she still looks like she is about to pop.
How often do they molt mine is about 6.5" ? once a year or so Til she is full grown? She seems to have a endless appetite.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Tarantulas are born with different personalities, that may be shaped to some degree by the conditions they live in. Within the same species, some are clam, others are high strung, and that's subject to change as they grow. As far it's concerned, it's not 'psycho'. It doesn't like intruders, as in the wild, they often kill and eat tarantulas. It has a problem with the giant hands that periodically intrude on it's home (when was the last time those hands where washed?). Perfectly understandable. Lasiodora tend to stay out in the open, so it's defensiveness probably has little to with it being in a display tank. Like any of the big South Americans, they have tremendous appetites. Keep your hands away from them. Don't expect a Brachypelma type of personality from a spider that eats a good share of small vertebrates in the wild.

If defensive spiders are an issue with you, you're best advised to pass on this and many of the species available in the hobby today. There is no reason to think that this LP will calm down. Size isn't necessarily the factor you think it is, as a 5" OBT can be much more challenging than an 8" LP, in speed, aggression, and potency. Believe it or not, there are those of us that prefer fast, defensive spiders.
+1 Yeah fast, defensive spiders are often a lot more active than some of the pet rock species. Make cool webbs, burrows etc... and have cool threat displays. Big South Americans definitely can be defensive like OW T'S more so than any of my Pokies. Pokies do have very bad venom , and do get angry sometimes I just have less threats from them.

Last edited: