Feeding slings

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I refuse to deal with crickets, far too many have escaped. Could a half inch sling or inch sling kill a live mealworm? I have been feedi ng prekilled mealworms for 3 months but they look like they could overpower a mealworm safetly now.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some won't eat them. Sorry but you'll probably have to deal with the crickets.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Well im asking if they will be able to overpower them or if they have a risk of being killed themselves.

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
They risk injury and death. Mealworms take awhile to succumb to a small sling. A one inch sling would probably be fine, half inch is really small for a mealworm. I'd stick with pre killed if they are taking them.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Now is there any good way to tell if they are eating the mealworms? I have seen a couple over top of the beheaded mealworm which I would assume they were eating hut what about the other two that I havnt seen eating? They would be dead after three months if they werent eating them correct?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well im asking if they will be able to overpower them or if they have a risk of being killed themselves.
crickets or, adult cricket legs are much a easier meal for a sling. Adult cricket legs are your best bet for baby Ts, they feed a bigger and smaller T. :biggrin:

---------- Post added 11-20-2014 at 11:08 PM ----------

I refuse to deal with crickets, far too many have escaped. Could a half inch sling or inch sling kill a live mealworm? I have been feedi ng prekilled mealworms for 3 months but they look like they could overpower a mealworm safetly now.
I only feed slings over 1.5"+ mealworms. Not worth the risk for the spider.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I refuse to deal with crickets.
Reality is they're the dominant feeder in the hobby and for good reason. A number of spiders won't eat mealworms, superworms, or roaches. ALL of mine will readily take crickets.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Reality is they're the dominant feeder in the hobby and for good reason. A number of spiders won't eat mealworms, superworms, or roaches. ALL of mine will readily take crickets.
yeah your right , get a big collection and stick to bulk crickets/ roaches everyone is happy :) ., Some Ts love roaches others don't , a lot of my Ts prefer superworms to roaches. I fed superworms for years, on occasion they all like them , sadly cultivating them is too hard :( can u buy 1000's in bulk?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
you can feed 5 1/4 to1/2 inch slings with one adult cricket. it doesnt get much easier or affordable than that.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I've tried live baby mealworms with my very small slings and they won't touch them. Plus you have the added hassle should a live mealworm burrow into the substrate and your sling should start to molt the mealworm mouth parts could do serious damage. I don't think it's worth the risk when the slings will still happily feed on pre-killed.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been feeding my spider babies (under an inch DLS) cowpea weevils (Callosobruchus maculatus) and they go CRAZY about them. The beetles are juuuust the right size, they're harmless and their colony is self-sustaining for months. Slings don't register them as threat and run away, as it often happened to me with small crickets. I can watch the slings hunt, rather than having to serve them cricket parts like before. And when a spider baby is in premoult, I don't have to worry about the weevil munching on it when it's vulnerable.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
B. lateralis, or red runner, roaches are perfect for slings. They have small babies that all my slings eat. None of my spiders have ever seen a cricket lol

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where do you get those beetles? Is there an online retailer?
Well, I get them at the monthly expos in my country, a box of them usually lasts me about three months or so. They actually breed in the box so I get two or three generations. TBH I have no clue whether they are available in the USA. Might be just a local Czech or European thing.

My country is pretty much ass-backwards when it comes to tarantula care (old names, obsolete methods of care..) but this might actually be pretty progressive.

A roach colony is for people with bigger collection than me. This suits me just fine.

Sana

Arachnoprince
None of my T kids will eat roaches so I gave up and started a cricket colony. I'm one of those people that enjoys the chirping though.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
None of my T kids will eat roaches so I gave up and started a cricket colony. I'm one of those people that enjoys the chirping though.
Crickets are great for baby spiders. I wouldn't give them anything else.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
I don't understand why T's wouldn't take a baby B. lateralis but would take a baby cricket. Can they even tell a difference between them lol?

How do you offer them Sana?

I'm not knocking anyone's choices, feed whatever works for you. I just think that's weird.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't understand why T's wouldn't take a baby B. lateralis but would take a baby cricket. Can they even tell a difference between them.?
They've eaten certain prey species in the native habitat for thousands of years, which we can't really offer to them, and crickets are probably pretty close to that for many of them. The big NW tropical terrestrials chow down on roaches, but some other species won't touch them, especially a number of arboreals. Just because it's an insect doesn't mean a tarantula is going to eat it. Tarantulas aren't 'weird.' It's our lack of understanding and ignorance that makes them seem that way. They have very good, fine-tuned reasons for doing what they do.

Think of it this way: you go to restaurants, do you always find everything on the menus equally appealing?

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
They've eaten certain prey species in the native habitat for thousands of years, which we can't really offer to them, and crickets are probably pretty close to that for many of them. The big NW tropical terrestrials chow down on roaches, but some other species won't touch them, especially a number of arboreals. Just because it's an insect doesn't mean a tarantula is going to eat it. Tarantulas aren't 'weird.' It's our lack of understanding and ignorance that makes them seem that way. They have very good, fine-tuned reasons for doing what they do.

Think of it this way: you go to restaurants, do you always find everything on the menus equally appealing?
Idk, I suppose you're right. I'd still be curious to know how they can tell the difference though lol.

Of course I do not find everything appealing at different restaurants,in fact, generally I get the same sort of stuff. I like hamburgers and Reubens haha. But I can read a menu and differentiate. Didn't think T's had that mental ability to be picky like me haha

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Idk, I suppose you're right. I'd still be curious to know how they can tell the difference though
They can recognize prey in various ways. It may be the vibrations, footstep rhythm, probing antenna, or air from their wings, maybe even the scent. Sometimes they grab an insect and let go.