Your Funniest T Stories...

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm a person who greatly enjoys a little humor to break up my overly stressful and chaotic life. To that end I decided to start a thread especially for funny stories about T's. Pranks played with molts, crazy behaviors, and slapstick moments during care, come one, come all.

Last edited:

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I often terrify people with molts but the funniest thing was when I got bit by my P. metallica Monday morning before school. I checked on everyone in my small collection and it looked rather dead. I poked the poeci and the little 1" sling darted onto my leg where it bit me. I had a nice n' terrible leg cramp and some nausea. A little disoriented, I hobbled to school. I know I looked ridiculous and that's the only reason I find it funny. Not too painful IMO but not nice.

cold blood

Staff member
My B smithi does a stand up routine at the local comedy club...its pretty funny.:biggrin:

Never poke a t btw, especially not a particularly fast one.;)

Sana

Arachnoprince
I have a completely horrifying story that is only funny when I think of how ridiculous I must have looked through the whole thing. I would like to preface this story with the statement that at the time I was very intimidated by poecs. I went to my very first expo as a birthday present from my spouse. I was super excited about finding a new friend or two to join my household. I have to say that I was disappointed to see when I arrived however that the expo turned out to fairly small and only two vendors were carrying any T's and of those I only felt like one of them had a lot of knowledge about the creatures in their possession. At that point in time I had been doing very well with my "beginner" T's, g. pulchripes and a. metallica and was looking for a pamphobeteus or several. My significant other who was the person that taught me about my first tarantula and that day he was looking a p. metallica. At the expo he changed his mind and purchased a 1.5-2" p. vitatta. All was going perfectly well as we arrived back as at the house where we were staying for the weekend, right up until we parked and something about the cute little poec caught his eye. Without thinking first he cracked open the top of the deli cup to get a better look. Yup, you know what happened next. The pretty little spider that hadn't moved that entire day was surprised when the cup opened and I learned the definition of a fast arboreal as she jumped out of the cup scrambled across my arm and down the side of the driver seat to a nice hide in the dark unknown of underneath. This is the point where my preface statement comes into play. As I did not know the location of the poor little thing and really the only thing that I knew about them at the time was that they can be pretty aggressive and they have much more damaging venom than many T's I was terrified to move and simultaneously wanted nothing more than to jump out of the car and run. The look of horror on my face must have been pretty impressive. For the next two hours, we removed everything from my car systematically starting at the last known location of the poec. When I say everything, I mean everything. First my purse one item therein searched cautiously and thoroughly at a time, followed by empty cups, various coats and clothing items, seat covers, floor mats, ending with the patient removal of one seat after another, and finally the carpet. Each item was carefully laid out on the driveway after removal in case the spider had somehow been missed in the search. Neighbors passing by stood and stared up until they were told in response to the question "what are you looking for" that we had "misplaced a tarantula". That cleared most out pretty quick. At the two and a half hour mark in desperation I finally started the engine in an attempt to bring our girl from hiding with the vibration. Low are behold, this was the method that finally worked though I sat and shook the entire time for fear that the "aggressive spider" was going to get me. The poor stressed out baby finally shot out from a seat rail that had not been removed in the search and was thrilled to be guided cautiously with a straw into her new tall home which we had purchased complete from the same vendor as the spider. Seemed like as good a time as any to rehouse her as the deli cut was not especially appropriate for an arboreal at that size.

I want to assure everyone that the poec, who we call Freya, made it through the whole incident and has done wonderfully since. She settled into her home without trouble and I have spent every spare moment learning all I can about poecs in general and p. vitatta specifically. I no longer approach her with fear but we do take extreme care not to open her enclosure if she is too near as niether of us would not like to ever repeat this experience. I will also forever remember to think before I open an enclosure of any kind so as never to be the careless cause of a situation like this one.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
back in 2012 i was vending at a reptile show with my boss and his son, a really cool 12 yr old that was afraid of almost every animal in the shop lol. so anyway it was a reptile expo in taylor michigan. we brought a ton of animals with us this weekend all kinds of snakes,frogs,turtles,lizards and a few tarantulas..a.avic,g.porteri and 1 h.lividum that was taken in on trade. when setting up a table at a show i go left to right starting with snakes then lizards,geckos,turtles frogs and then inverts.i had the h. lividum(labeled cobalt blue) next to some dart frogs. the display lights we use cuase condensation on the lids of the deli containers we use to sell our stock..i was helping a potential customer and out of the corner of my eye i saw my bosses son talking to another potential buyer..this is normal hes allowed to complete a transaction, if a customer has a question he usually asks me or his dad for help. so a few seconds goes buy and i see him grab the now nontransparent deli labeled cobalt blue..i thought to myself ok hes not a cowboy he wont open it.... the customer must just want a closer look. i was wrong very wrong he popped the top off and immediately the t reared up...he instantly turned white and put the top back on..i said bro what are you doing man those guys are pretty nasty!!!he said in the most shakey panicked squeaky voice i have ever heard in my life.. dude we thought it was a dart frog i didnt know there was a tarantula called a cobalt blue...i didnt know tarantulas could be blue!!!!that thing almost bit me!!!!!! i said na he was just waivin at ya...but seriously you almost died bro!!!lol. i had to pick on him a little!!!!

Tangle

Arachnopeon
I was cleaning under my bed and my box of molts jumped out at me. I almost died of fright. This was last week. :)

Beltane

Arachnopeon
I went to take a shower the other day and when I pulled aside the shower curtain I saw my 21-month-olds black rubber spider on the floor. It's silly...but I screamed. :)

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My two very first Ts are an A.avic named "Fuzzy" and a G.rosea named "Geneveive", they are very dear to my heart so are next to each other. Funniest thing any of my Ts as ever done, my avic Fuzzy casually walked over to the side of her enclosure closest to Geneveive's and took an explosive dump through the vent, landing it all over my roseas enclosure lid :laugh:

Another time, also involving these two, I dropped a cricket in to the avics enclosure and took her bowl away to clean leaving the door open (she's a sweetheart, I usually just leave the door open if I'm leaving the room for a minute), the door to Genevieves enclosure was also open. When i came back I watched the cricket escape Fuzzys enclosure and promptly jump straight into Geneveives where it was immediately nailed :biggrin:

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
Here's one you would have to see in order to fully appreciate, but sadly I didn't catch it on camera, so I'll have to do my best to describe it in words:

My G. iheringi has a plastic pot hide that it stopped using, it webbed all over the entrance during one of its premolt webbing frenzies and just left it there. It mostly just sits on top of the pot.

I went to feed it, and as usual, it attacked the roach with such ferocity, you'd think I don't feed it at all. It leaped at the roach, caught it right at the edge of the pot, and then SLOOOOOOOWLY, without as much as moving a leg, tilted off the edge sideways onto the webbed entrance till it reached a perfect 90°... and then, without a care in the world, it started webbing a feeding mat. While still tilted at 90°. Onto the webbing that covered the hide entrance.

Sana

Arachnoprince
My four year old son took up naming my crickets such things as Dinner, Dessert, Bacon, etc. He then began insisting that a particular T was fed a particular cricket each time. Worse yet, he has some system of how he tells them apart that I have yet to figure out, so I spend half an hour catching the right cricket for a feeding sometimes.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
My 2 inch OBT got out when I was doing cage maintenance and started running across the floor. I remained calm and tried to let her/him go the way she/he wanted until she/he calmed down. However... she/ he decided to go under the couch and crawl up into the inside of the couch... I had to cut open the side of the couch to get him/her out. I was not going to have an pissed off OBT running around in my house.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
See my cute habits thread for some cute and funny stuff

--J.Haas

CobaltRose

Arachnopeon
I've only been a tarantula owner for three days, but already have a funny /silly story to tell. Yesterday, I went to check on my juvenile B.Albo and couldn't find him/her! No problem, I thought, they're probably in their hide! Nope, not there either... I panicked, thinking he/she had escaped, despite me not leaving the lid off and the ventilation holes being far too small for them to fit through.
Well, terror and panic truly set in then! I'd only had my tarantula two days and it had escaped already! At least, I thought it had...

After a frantic few minutes of searching my room, l checked the enclosure again to find that the substrate was mysteriously shifting. Lo and behold, my tarantula popped its little furry legs (and then the rest of its body) out from the ground. It had burrowed into the substrate! Obviously, the substrate had fallen into the burrow after it, filling in the hole and meaning that I was unable to see it. I was so relieved!
*smacks forehead* Phew! My tarantula sat over its burrow and groomed itself as if nothing had happened.:laugh: Nothing had, really. I was just being a typical newbie and panicking over nothing. :sarcasm:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
My e murinus is sometimes terrified of her food and flips on her back in defense posture, then she'll eat. Another time I left a molt on top of my p irminia's tank and my bf went upstairs and starting running around yelling thst "Toni got out!". Oh and my l Parahybana plays landscaper and carries it's little tree thing around and plants it.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I have a g. pulchripes that is affectionately referred to as my "lap spider". Her favorite place to be is sitting on my lap having her abdomen petted while I'm watching TV.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have a g. pulchripes that is affectionately referred to as my "lap spider". Her favorite place to be is sitting on my lap having her abdomen petted while I'm watching TV.
LOL I could never do that sometimes holding a T with Urt hairs I break out in small bumps :(. B vagans MM walked on me not kicking any hairs and I had tiny red bumps for 2 days.

MY last funny story was expecting Female H mac to be angry and handling, while guiding it to its container. My N cromatus female will eat a roach after falling on her back in threat posture showing her fangs to me & the roach, she thinks she is a OBT ha ha.:laugh: And is meaner than my OBT's sometimes.

Sana

Arachnoprince
That's so cute! Aradia (my lap spider) is so calm that she sleeps on me, dropping her body and settling her legs so the first joints nearly touch each other above her.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That's so cute! Aradia (my lap spider) is so calm that she sleeps on me, dropping her body and settling her legs so the first joints nearly touch each other above her.
LAst spider I held was B vagans & A anax, I was cleaning cage and it decided to wander onto my hand so I held it they are normally very defensive. Otherwise I will not go near these Ts, and never hold them ever.