Is this temperature okay for a tarantula, or too cold?

CobaltRose

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I am new to the tarantula hobby and am due to get my first tarantula, a Brachypelma Albopilosum, next Tuesday. I have already set up the enclosure, but have run into some problems (at least, I think it's a problem. I may be wrong) with heating the damn thing. It's pretty cold here in the UK at the minute, and I can't for the life of me seem to get the temperature of the enclosure above 19C (66F). Then again, I only have a dial thermometer attached to the side of the enclosure to go on, and I understand they're not exactly renowned for their accuracy. Nonetheless, I am concerned that 66F is a little cool for a tarantula. I did use a heating mat (attached to the side, NOT to the bottom of the enclosure) but that made little difference. Plus, I have heard the heat mats are not great anyways, so I have stopped using it. The humidity in the tank is fine (fluctuates between 70 and 80%), I just need the darn temperature to rise! Or, is 66F okay for a fairly small tarantula (it's not a teeny tiny sling, but it's pretty small, about 2" in DLS, according to the breeder). I don't want the poor thing to freeze! If it isn't, what else can I do to increase the temperature? I've already turned the radiator up in my room. There are quite a few ventilation holes in the lid, would taping some of them up help? I'm a compete newbie, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hannah

---------- Post added 11-22-2014 at 09:54 AM ----------

Oh, and not sure if this is relevant, but I've already purchased crickets in preparation for my T's arrival, and they're thriving, so the colder temperature doesn't seem to be bothering them.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I've always kept all of my Ts, even slings at around 18-20C during winter, which isn't the optimal temperature for them. At 19C your till won't die I believe, but it will definitely grow A LOT slower(it might even influence the size of the T as an adult I think). I'd try to get the temperature to at least 22C.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You could move the enclosure closer to the radiator, just be sure to monitor the temps. Taping the vents holes wouldnt really help, because you would only be keeping the 66F inside the enclosure, since there is no heat source inside enclosure itself. Hope this helps.

CobaltRose

Arachnopeon
Thanks, Angel. I turned the radiator up half an hour ago, and the temperature has gotten up to 20C. Let's hope it increases a little more!

---------- Post added 11-22-2014 at 10:46 AM ----------

I moved the enclosure closer to the radiator (not on top of it, of course, don't wanna cook the poor creature) and the temperature is now not far off 22C. Progress!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My concern with cool temps is any that are pre-molt, molting, or post molt, when they're much weaker.

In the wild they'll plug up their burrows on cold days (or weeks) and trap the heat from the ground inside and stay warm. Or they may sit at the mouth of their burrow and catch the sun rays. In captivity, their burrows aren't warmer than the outside air, and we also have to be very careful not to overheat the spiders.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The average temps in Honduras are 16 degrees C to 30 degrees C May being the warmest. I am sure Costa rica is about the same. The spider will be fine in that temp for the cooler months this is appropriate. There will be no molting problems unless you start messing with temps. The spider will adjust his molt schedule to the seasons naturally. We can not take so much credit for care (over-thinking) until the spider dies from it!

-Wade

cold blood

Staff member
BTW, if you are using a hygrometer, take it back, that $ is better spent on crickets. You don't need to concern yourself with humidity, just keep a small water dish, and occasionally moisten a small area of substrate, its really as simple as that. Hygrometers cause more problems than they could ever solve, do yourself a favor and get rid of it.

Good advise from catfish and also good points from poec as well. If in the future you think it may be too cool, a space heater in the room is the safest way to go.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If in the future you think it may be too cool, a space heater in the room is the safest way to go.
I have a humidity gauge in my spider rooms, but not in any of the cages. I just want a rough idea of how dry or moist the room's air is, so I know if I need to turn the ceiling fans on. If the humidity's too high, it's hard on Avics and crickets.

I use a space heater in my main spider room, as I stopped turning on the furnace 4 or 5 years ago (a benefit of living in Florida). When I lived up north, I used a humidifier to keep the spider room comfortable. Being on the 2nd floor (the whole 2nd floor) it was the warmest and most humid place in the house all winter.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Also have trouble with temps! When i dont put any heating on its 14C in my home right now! I need to turn the heat on non stop!! And its november! T's arent expensive to keep but in my case they are!!

NewTdaddy

Arachnopeon
In summer, here in UK, I don't have an issue with temps. In winter, I use a space heater to keep the area around my Ts at a steady 20-24°c, roughly what the indoor temp is on a warm summer's day.

Devvny

Arachnopeon
I use a heat matt to keep my T's around 20-22 (UK too!)
I know they're very frowned upon here however I've never woken up to my Tarantulas boiled alive so I'll take the *expert* advice with a pinch of salt.

edit: can thumb me down but cant disprove me, shame

Last edited:

CradilyKing

Arachnopeon
Investing in a good space heater is definitely a good idea especially if you live in the U.K. where it can get pretty cold you don’t have to have it constantly on just every now and then when you feel the temperature drops a bit just turn it on for a bit a good quality one should heat an entire room very quickly and bring the temp up to a much more suitable and comfortable level. In my experience a drop in temperature for a couple hours seems to not bother them that much just as long as it’s not constantly below 15 Celsius and with the heater you can keep that at about a comfy 20-25 Celsius.

Edit: I have just noticed this post is nearly 7 years old lmao

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Often it is sufficient to place the enclosure in a higher position in the room during the cold period, as heat collects above.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I use a heat matt to keep my T's around 20-22 (UK too!)
I know they're very frowned upon here however I've never woken up to my Tarantulas boiled alive so I'll take the *expert* advice with a pinch of salt.

edit: can thumb me down but cant disprove me, shame
I saw a keeper who had their Ts on a rack and had heat pads on plexi sheets hanging on the back vertically. So there was a small gap between the mat(s) and the cages. Was pretty clever solution