missing leg

pbirckhe

Arachnopeon
I am a new T owner, I bought my first 3/4" chaco golden knee sling last Saturday. I fed him/her a cricket smaller than her last night and she took it down with apparently little problem. Today, however, I notice she is missing a leg :eek: Could that be due to the cricket?? Will she be okay? What should I do for her right now? It is the third leg from the front on her right side. What else could have caused the leg to break off, and what should I avoid in the future to keep this from happening?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It's possible the cricket bit her before it succumbed to the venom. Or it could have been a preexisting injury that you didn't notice right away. One of my T's had a regenerated leg (noticeably skinnyer and little hair) when I rescued her from certain death. Since her last molt it has regenerated almost completely. It is still a tiny bit smaller than the others, but it's got all the hair and by next molt will be unable to tell it was ever injured. But my point is it took a couple of days for me to notice such a blatant feature so you could have missed something on your sling's leg as well.

T's drop legs for a number of reasons and missing one leg should not really cripple it too much. Being a sling you won't have to wait as long for the next molt to start regenerating the leg.

cold blood

Staff member
A single leg is basically meaningless to a t. You have nothing to worry about. It will grow back, it shouldn't cause you a second of concern. There have been many who have had their t lose half or nearly all the legs and still have no issue with survival. One leg missing and the little t won't even miss a beat.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I picked up a rescue T that a newb had no business owning. It had lost 4 legs, but after good care and two molts it was back to normal. Don't panic, they grow back.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Having missing legs isn't a problem, the T will regenerate them. It is more likely the injury already existed and you didnt notice at first than the cricket doing it