P. regalis and new molt getting stuck?

je2000

Arachnopeon
My male P. regalis is about the size of my hand now. He can still fit inside the mini tree stump inside the enclosure and hasn't really made a new home in the larger hollow tree.

Is there any chance of getting stuck inside a small hollow tree once it is ready to move from a new molt? Or will it "just know" not to molt there?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They won't get stuck, they've been molting for several hundred million years and have a pretty good idea of what to look for in a molting chamber. If the retreat is too tight, they'll spin a sheet and do it in the open.

Last edited:

je2000

Arachnopeon
They won't get stuck, they've been molting for several hundred millions years and have a pretty good idea of what to look for in a molting chamber. If the retreat is too tight, they'll spin a sheet and do it in the open.
Ah, thanks!

I'm also wondering about when he does come out to play on the glass. I never see the classic arboreal 4 legs front 4 legs back pose. His legs are always spread out in an even circle. I don't keep it very warm or moist. He feeds and molts just fine though.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My Poecs are usually in the '4 front-4 back' pose when they're on the sides of their cages, and usually facing downwards. That's an arboreal preference. I have 1/2" H maculata slings that do that too.

je2000

Arachnopeon
My Poecs are usually in the '4 front-4 back' pose when they're on the sides of their cages, and usually facing downwards. That's an arboreal preference. I have 1/2" H maculata slings that do that too.
I guess the important thing is that it is active and feeding. I'm going to experiment with the temperature and moisture levels to see what happens.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah Aboreals love this pose, makes them easier to measure too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They won't get stuck, they've been molting for several hundred million years and have a pretty good idea of what to look for in a molting chamber. If the retreat is too tight, they'll spin a sheet and do it in the open.
If only my P irminia's evolution would catch up, it picks the TIGHTEST spots possible. Fortunately my rufilata doesn't!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If only my P irminia's evolution would catch up, it picks the TIGHTEST spots possible.
That's probably not coincidence, in the wild they may need to do that. Living all across the world in a variety of habitats, tarantulas have developed many different approaches that work for their specific conditions.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's probably not coincidence, in the wild they may need to do that. Living all across the world in a variety of habitats, tarantulas have developed many different approaches that work for their specific conditions.
Yep, two times in a row it has done this. The first time, lost 4 legs all at once, the second time, they all grew back!, but it lost one and a pedipalp. Fortunately it's must better off now, and not so secretive as it used to be.