Stuck in molt?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My new a geniculata seems to have molted but the carapace is still attached. She's deep in her burrow so I'm not sure what to do... Not sure if she's stuck. Any advice would be appreciated. Trying not to freak out lol - I'm one of those overly concerned t mamas... Thx!

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 11-22-2014 at 04:51 PM ----------

Well I was able to detach the carapace piece when she walked out of the burrow but she was left w some molt still stuck, I'll leave that alone unless I should pick it off?

--J.Haas

14pokies

Arachnoprince
i cant see whats left on the carapace from that pic. i deffinately wouldnt try to pick it off if its stuck stuck you could rip her carapace by tugging on it. i would wait a few days and see if it comes off on its own. if it doesnt u could apply a small amount of glycerin with a q tip to the stuck molt if its bugging you that bad. increase your humidity a little when you suspect that shes in the later stages of premolt the next time.good luck! wait a minute...i just looked at that pic again. is it stuck to the front part of her body the carapace or is it stuck to the rear segment the opithstoma(abdomen)?

Last edited:

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
If it were me, if she is out of her burrow, I would see if it simply lifts off with a tweezers. If there is any resistance, I would lightly mist her and raise the humidity in the enclosure. Then monitor for a few days. I'd definitely want that to (gently) come off though.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DONT try and lift it off yet, because your T has just moulted her new skin is still fragile and soft, any disturbance could cause her to run away and perhaps injure herself, and pulling the piece off may damage the abdomen. Wait for a few days before attempting, it is possible the piece will come off all on its own, sometimes Ts find their own way which is preferable.

When/if you do attempt to remove it, use a wet paintbrush and lightly stroke it over the piece, this will help to dislodge it safely

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thk u. I offered her water and she drank and she's resting now. I will not pull the remainder of the molt off her bottom. Thx guys

--J.Haas

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Good luck, I hope it comes off with ease.

P.S. your PM inbox is full.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
From what I learned from my adult C.darlingi when she got stuck. Just raise the moisture around her, keep her in the dark, pray, trust your T and let nature take its course. After 3-4 days she got of her old skin at the cost of some legs but she's back to normal now :D

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My rosea had about the same thing happen once. I gave her time to harden up and then grasped the remaining piece of moult with tweezers. I did not pull, I waited for her to move on her own volition. eventually she started to crawl off and the remaining piece of shed broke free. There was no negative issues as a result.
My reasoning was that if she calmly pulled away, she'd stop if there was any discomfort. I was ready to release at the slightest sign of trouble. In my particular case, though, I could tell it wasn't that firmly attached

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No it's still there... Should I just let it alone? I don't think I should pull at it...

--J.Haas