Karma Sucks!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
so early yesterday evening my girlfriend came in from the garage holding a about a square foot of screen..she was like look what i found we can hot glue it on to some of your deli cups for better ventilation.(In hind sight she was gleaming at the prospect that her find would help me with my ts), i took it realized it was plastic mesh and was like are you nuts they'll chew right through this.( i didn't realize at the time that the way i said it was kinda rough and hurt her feelings)this was strike one!
later on that night i was doing some feedings and i keep my crickets in an old plastic shoe box with vent holes poked through the lid.i remembered the screen that she found earlier and said hey baby we can use this for the crickets. here is where strike two came. after i finished cutting out the middle of the tote and glued the screen on i said are you happy we used your piece of screen? i could tell you were bummed earlier cuz i didn't use it.(me being uncontiously condasending once again) she smiled and said ya i'm glad we used it! after finishing the lid i was like hey babe can u put these crickets away for me? she HATES crickets! she'll hold some of my ts but shutters at the thought of touching a cricket.i'm assuming that was strike three as i was pretty nice the rest of the night.(i think)
when i woke up this morning i noticed her cat over by my supply tote poking at something, i thought to myself i must of dropped a cricket last night.. i walked past him and said good fatty fat(that's what i call him)get that cricket bro! i went downstairs and made some coffee came back up and now my girlfriend was awake.. i said mornin babe and all that fun stuff and she asked where rick ross is..that's her cats name. i said hes over there some where chasing a cricket..she sat up to see him and called to him..he didn't come(he never does!) she got up to get him took a few steps and screamed there's crickets everywhere!!!!! yuuuuppp! they chewed through the screen! she being scared of crickets grabbed her cat and left the room..as she was closing the door she said "i knew that was gonna happen, if your spiders can chew through it then so can the crickets!"... hmmm.. she might have warned me if i wasn't such a jerk the night before!
so people be nice to others specially the ones you love or karma may just end up smacking you with a game of cricket hunt at 9 in the morning. i hope you enjoyed this post and please feel free to share your encounters with t related karma!

cold blood

Staff member
Crickets chewed through the plastic? Are you sure "fatty fat" isn't the real culprit?

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Crickets chewed through the plastic? Are you sure "fatty fat" isn't the real culprit?
yeah what cold blood said, fatty fat was messing with something when you went down to get coffee and when you came back up crickets were everywhere. i think the true culprit is fatty fat!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Hah i had something like this happen oooh about 6yrs ago with one of my first lizard.. heres where kine starts.. i listened to a lps worker[emoji55] he sais crix cannot chew thru screens.. and i got a peice of fiber screen from him... and now we fastforward about 2 days later.. i go to get some crix for my beardie.. who ate about 150 crix at a time.. and i had oppened my closet to find.. you guessed it 200+ crix EVERYWHERE.. gah... i hate mesh so bad now i refuse to use it in almost any enclosure -.- id rather leave my door wide open for flys then use fabric screen in my home now xp

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hah i had something like this happen oooh about 6yrs ago with one of my first lizard.. heres where kine starts.. i listened to a lps worker[emoji55] he sais crix cannot chew thru screens.. and i got a peice of fiber screen from him... and now we fastforward about 2 days later.. i go to get some crix for my beardie.. who ate about 150 crix at a time.. and i had oppened my closet to find.. you guessed it 200+ crix EVERYWHERE.. gah... i hate mesh so bad now i refuse to use it in almost any enclosure -.- id rather leave my door wide open for flys then use fabric screen in my home now xp
crickets can chew threw screen so can Ts(I think), Look at the mandibles on crickets. Thats why my female LP is in a lexan plexiglass cage lid so she doesn't hang herself or chew through it. Cats can also chew through screening Though I never seen one do this.:biggrin:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
crickets can chew threw screen so can Ts(I think), Look at the mandibles on crickets. Thats why my female LP is in a lexan plexiglass cage lid so she doesn't hang herself or chew through it. Cats can also chew through screening Though I never seen one do this.[emoji3]
Well i know this NOW but 6+ yrs ago i kinda had my first imouse buy and got a bearded dragon.. didnt bother doing research on anything but beardy habitat and replicated.. a los guy told ne something. I was like 15, it was my first exotic reptile i thought "they own a store ofcourse they know their stuff so what they say MUST be right.." lol i ofcourse know better now that i use the net to research for years before a buy.. ^.^

Sana

Arachnoprince
I heard that metal screen would be the one type that T's, crickets, etc. would be unable to chew through. Thoughts?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I heard that metal screen would be the one type that T's, crickets, etc. would be unable to chew through. Thoughts?
ive never had anything chew threw wire screen wich is weird because it seems more probable than not that a decent sized t could do this very easily..

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Ts can chew thru them. iv seen then destroy vents.. however my crickets and roaches have never chewed thru aluminum screens..

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Good to know.
yea they can chew thru kritter/kricket keepers.. thats a fact as well.. but poec says a determined T can even break plexiglass.. so id say make sure anything you make is flush, and has holes with no sharp spots and not big enough to get a foot caught XD [seen and almost had this myself because i didnt melt flush with the container]

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
yea they can chew thru kritter/kricket keepers.. thats a fact as well.. but poec says a determined T can even break plexiglass.. so id say make sure anything you make is flush, and has holes with no sharp spots and not big enough to get a foot caught XD [seen and almost had this myself because i didnt melt flush with the container]
I use lexan Plexiglas it is like way stronger than normal stuff , Funny my Cat is afraid of my feeder roaches He has never tried to eat them. Normal Plexiglas for my 2 aboreal 10gal tanks since I didn't know about lexan they never try eating it.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I use lexan Plexiglas it is like way stronger than normal stuff , Funny my Cat is afraid of my feeder roaches He has never tried to eat them. Normal Plexiglas for my 2 aboreal 10gal tanks since I didn't know about lexan they never try eating it.
YES lexan is strong.. but unless its gorilla glass i dont think we can say a T cant break it.. heck for years we where told in the aquaria forums shrimp and crays can NOT break glass or cut tubes (tho iv had them what i think was chew thru)..then BOOM pecock mantis shrimp apeared.. and ofcourse broke both acrylic and glass tanks.. noone thought these guys would break it. just like wed never think a T would chip glass.. untill you show me your T breaking its fang trying to chew, im going to pass XD

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
YES lexan is strong.. but unless its gorilla glass i dont think we can say a T cant break it.. heck for years we where told in the aquaria forums shrimp and crays can NOT break glass or cut tubes (tho iv had them what i think was chew thru)..then BOOM pecock mantis shrimp apeared.. and ofcourse broke both acrylic and glass tanks.. noone thought these guys would break it. just like wed never think a T would chip glass.. untill you show me your T breaking its fang trying to chew, im going to pass XD
Well you also have to take into consideration that mantis shrimp have the strongest punch in the animal kingdom, unless you have several sheets of bullet proof glass put together, it's going to smash it. Though I've talked to people who keep them successfully and the major thing is that you do not let them get bored as they are probably the smartest arthropods on Earth so they need to be kept "happy". Same thing I do with my T's, generally if they feel comfortable they are less likely to chew, but as a precaution I have a few cages on plastic so I can hear them if they try to take off. Their fangs are reinforced by heavy metals so who knows how strong they are.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well you also have to take into consideration that mantis shrimp have the strongest punch in the animal kingdom, unless you have several sheets of bullet proof glass put together, it's going to smash it. Though I've talked to people who keep them successfully and the major thing is that you do not let them get bored as they are probably the smartest arthropods on Earth so they need to be kept "happy". Same thing I do with my T's, generally if they feel comfortable they are less likely to chew, but as a precaution I have a few cages on plastic so I can hear them if they try to take off. Their fangs are reinforced by heavy metals so who knows how strong they are.
Thats true but what i mean is you never know what an animal can do lol sure they move fast but untill we put them in aquariuma we went by a cookie cutter "facts" on all shrimp/cray . just like they say "once a snake has a taste for blood it will want tonkill" thy try to push the myth off yet i hav been accidently tagged by some of the nicest snakes durring feed.. infact had to stitch myself up 3 or 4 times. and still will happily kiss them in the face. Lol so we cant believe everything we hear so we nay as well be extra precautious..

But i do believe in keeping them unbored. As i have seen mantis shrimp in captivity and its 100% true imo.. a happy pet is a pet with tons to do.. my Ts get a completely customized tank.. with tons to do.based off theur personality.. Even tho most dont have screen on them.. (3 do but they are pet rocks i trust them full hartedly..ill regret saying that lol) id rather take my time to drill a few holes, sand down edges and make sure eveeyrhing is a smooth snug fit then risk an escape or harm to a t

---------- Post added 11-24-2014 at 01:32 PM ----------

Their fangs are reinforced by heavy metals so who knows how strong they are.
And this was more or less what i was getting at..we have no clue what they are capable of doing so why risk it? ;p

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thats true but what i mean is you never know what an animal can do lol sure they move fast but untill we put them in aquariuma we went by a cookie cutter "facts" on all shrimp/cray . just like they say "once a snake has a taste for blood it will want tonkill" thy try to push the myth off yet i hav been accidently tagged by some of the nicest snakes durring feed.. infact had to stitch myself up 3 or 4 times. and still will happily kiss them in the face. Lol so we cant believe everything we hear so we nay as well be extra precautious..

But i do believe in keeping them unbored. As i have seen mantis shrimp in captivity and its 100% true imo.. a happy pet is a pet with tons to do.. my Ts get a completely customized tank.. with tons to do.based off theur personality.. Even tho most dont have screen on them.. (3 do but they are pet rocks i trust them full hartedly..ill regret saying that lol) id rather take my time to drill a few holes, sand down edges and make sure eveeyrhing is a smooth snug fit then risk an escape or harm to a t

---------- Post added 11-24-2014 at 01:32 PM ----------

And this was more or less what i was getting at..we have no clue what they are capable of doing so why risk it? ;p
I only have a few in screen lids, most are in tupperware/plexi/clear plastic substance. I don't like taking chances as my more potent individuals stay in cages that they will have to work hard to chew out of; I don't want to wake up in the morning with my hellbeast of a P.metallica on my face.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I only have a few in screen lids, most are in tupperware/plexi/clear plastic substance. I don't like taking chances as my more potent individuals stay in cages that they will have to work hard to chew out of; I don't want to wake up in the morning with my hellbeast of a P.metallica on my face.
Well i dont have an ow so i cant have such crummy luck. but were pretty much on the same page.. lexan or not id rather make sure all corners are squared and sanded then to find out a T got out because i added screen ^.^ this is partly y i dont have a oede yet lmao

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
i walked past him and said good fatty fat(that's what i call him)get that cricket bro!
LOL!!! I tend to do the same thing, kinda Pees off the lady.. but hey... its fun...

and she asked where rick ross is..that's her cats name.
Although a very good name!!!!

I tend to think cold blood might be right and Rick Ross had something to do with it...

Crickets and Ts should be kept as secure as possible. I have had no jail breaks yet... but I suppose every dog has it's day...