Dubia Colony in Darkness

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So, I just started my first dubia colony about three weeks ago. Saw a very cheap starter set for sale at an expo (several males with 20 females for $5!), so I went for it. My question is short and sweet.

Can my dubias be kept in perpetual darkness? I know that this will negatively affect certain animals, but I don't know if dubias are one of them. I'd like to keep them in a closed closet due to the slight smell, but I'm just making sure they'll still breed and whatnot without light. The only light they get currently is when I add food/water.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, I just started my first dubia colony about three weeks ago. Saw a very cheap starter set for sale at an expo (several males with 20 females for $5!), so I went for it. My question is short and sweet.

Can my dubias be kept in perpetual darkness? I know that this will negatively affect certain animals, but I don't know if dubias are one of them. I'd like to keep them in a closed closet due to the slight smell, but I'm just making sure they'll still breed and whatnot without light. The only light they get currently is when I add food/water.
I have a huge colony and they are always in the dark. It is fine to keep them in the dark. Good luck. They are a good feeder species but they are also an even better pet species. Enjoy your cool critters. :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks for the info! I know it'll be some time before I can start solely using this colony for feeders, but I'm looking forward to not having to constantly go to Petco for crickets.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info! I know it'll be some time before I can start solely using this colony for feeders, but I'm looking forward to not having to constantly go to Petco for crickets.
Yes, it is very nice to have your own colony. :)