'Rescued' my first 5 T's this last week from local pet shops.

Methal

Arachnosquire
Here in Utah we have a string of stores that are local owned, but franchised. Some shops are just sad.

In on such shop I found a 2 inch B Boehmei, in a very wet dish, just large enough for the spider to turn a circle. Got him for 15 bucks.

an OBT in another wet deli cup, this one was about 2 inches as well. The shop keep said that both of them were 'sub tropical from africa 0.o
he is currently in premolt and about 1 inch. excited to see how he does after molting.

I got a "Versicolor" which was actually an A. Aviculara (pink toe) in a sad little dish what had no climbing room. the guy said they are very rare, and had to have 79 for it. This one just freshly molted, I'm pretty sure its a female. and its almost 3 inches.

a Salmon pink bird eater. I had to pick this one up. I understand that they are from south A. Tropic/sub-tropic regions. He was in a bone dry dish, with virtually no substrate. This one is a good 3-4 inches. an a LOT of attitude. It'll rear up like an obt for anything that bothers him.

and the last one, I was puzzled by. A common desert brown (A Iodius), full grown male, ~6 inches. I found him mid November. 40F out side wandering down a road near my work. I know hes male, due to the hooks on his front two legs. He is the most passive T i have ever seen. Other than kicking hairs, 'cuddles' his food rather than springing on it and snatching it up. Very slow moving. Probably getting close to the end of his life. I'm sure he was out looking for a mate, but November? He also likes to climb. almost never hides, very active, I have him in a dry 10gallon tank with plenty of things to climb on. about 5 inches of substrate (too much i know, but he dont seem to mind)

I've got them all in 'appropriate' sized tanks, in the right conditions. with slightly more humidity for the little guys.

I have to say though, i'll be checking this shop periodically for more T's.

I try to passively educate the owner/employees but for the most part they are...intellectually stubborn. Especially the owner, who seems to think hes a regular John Wayne of the arachnid world.

Lastly i'll be honest. I've kept many spiders for the last 20 years, but yet to have Tarantulas. Normally Black widows, jumping spiders, wolf spiders, funnel webs, and a couple scorpions, and snakes mostly rattle snakes pulled out of cars/trucks/houses.
So needless to say any info ya got i'd be happy to soak up.

Thanks and hi =D

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why didn't you leave the male Aphonopelma outside? He doesn't like to climb, he is looking for a female

Methal

Arachnosquire
Why didn't you leave the male Aphonopelma outside? He doesn't like to climb, he is looking for a female

If my co-workers didn't kill him the weather would have. It goes below freezing every night. without a doubt he'd have died. Its currently 21f outside and snowing.
That and I really doubt there are many females running around a business park in the middle of town. Seeing as hes wild caught once the weather warms up, i'll release him.

Is this typical behavior for a male looking for a female? I mean actively moving, and slow eating? he'll eat half a cricket/worm once ever 2-3 weeks.

One other thing. OMG! that bird eater is fast. I hadn't even got the cricket off the tons when she jumped on it.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would have just relocated him. If the weather could have killed d him, they would be extinct by now. And yes, that is perfectly normal. His whole life consists of nothing but looking for a mate now.

Methal

Arachnosquire
Welp hind site is what it is.

now that you know what the weather is like, what would you suggest? shall I keep him till spring and release him then?

Do they burrow in the winter? What are his chances? quick 30 minute ride and he'll be int he middle of sage brush and desert.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would have just relocated him. If the weather could have killed d him, they would be extinct by now. And yes, that is perfectly normal. His whole life consists of nothing but looking for a mate now.
Remember this for next time. As John Lee Hooker said "Let that boy boogie-woogie".
And I hope you did not pay $79.00 for an Avic avic...

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know how long he has left but personally, I would take to a desert and release him. To my knowledge they don't burrow but I don't know. It's you call on what to do with him though.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Welp hind site is what it is.

now that you know what the weather is like, what would you suggest? shall I keep him till spring and release him then?

Do they burrow in the winter? What are his chances? quick 30 minute ride and he'll be int he middle of sage brush and desert.
Id say if your willing to make the drive, do it.. they take refuge in burrows in the winter and seal them off.

Methal

Arachnosquire
Dont want to let him go just to die....C-blocked as he is, I dont think the lady T's will be that welcoming if he comes knocking during christmas dinner.

---------- Post added 11-23-2014 at 01:56 PM ----------

Id say if your willing to make the drive, do it.. they take refuge in burrows in the winter and seal them off.
The drive is nothing. I'll check the weather and take him out when its above death degrees, which should be this coming weekend. There are plenty of rocky holes he could snuggle his skinny self into.

Should I worry about his being 'un-climatized' due to being kept in doors for the past 2 weeks?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Dont want to let him go just to die....C-blocked as he is, I dont think the lady T's will be that welcoming if he comes knocking during christmas dinner.

The drive is nothing. I'll check the weather and take him out when its above death degrees, which should be this coming weekend. There are plenty of rocky holes he could snuggle his skinny self into.

Should I worry about his being 'un-climatized' due to being kept in doors for the past 2 weeks?

Well your just gona watch him wither away if u dont let him do his job... and so long as you arnt going from 99 deg to 20 you should be fine. Take him to a colder part of the house.. he has been going thru this for at least 5-6 yrs hell be fine

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
When you buy a t from a pet shop, you are just giving them a reason to order more. :) Not that all pet shops are bad, because they aren't, but sounds like this one wasn't one of the better ones. I think a lot of us have been there and done that though. Just something to think about.

Methal

Arachnosquire
Remember this for next time. As John Lee Hooker said "Let that boy boogie-woogie".
And I hope you did not pay $79.00 for an Avic avic...
I sure did. actually think it was 74.99. I'm sure I could get one for 25+40 shipping, but with the weather being so cold, and me being impatient, and the little girl looked so miserable. It couldn't be helped.

Its only money.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I sure did. actually think it was 74.99. I'm sure I could get one for 25+40 shipping, but with the weather being so cold, and me being impatient, and the little girl looked so miserable. It couldn't be helped.

Its only money.
if its only money, you could always share with us :p

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Its only money.
Yeah but You could go back & try to get $50-55 bucks back and get a real A versicolor with the money lol And keep the A avic.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
It's really sad that our passion for the hobby and seeing T's being kept correctly almost 'forces' us to buy the mistreated ones out of pity. That being said, good on you for picking these ones up, I'm sure they are doing MUCH better under your care. And I concur with letting the MM you found go, so that he can hopefully 'score' before the end of his days. :)

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Tell the pet store workers that they are clearly ignorant of proper T care and that you are a collector and will be happy to help them if they would be more receptive to your constructive criticism.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Its only money.
Ach du lieber! I'm sorry you got burned by that nin com poop but you have a case to get it made right - which it ain't right now.

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
Can I just add that in my opinion you are not 'rescuing' these animals, you are making the sale of tarantulas more profitable to the shop/chain, thus encouraging them to stock more or even expand their line of inverts. You are not rescuing anything, you are condemning further animals and almost certainly supporting the trade in WC animals as well.

If you see animals in pet shops in conditions that upset you: Scream and shout. Complain to the authorities. Join/start a campaign group. Just don't give that business your money.