please help me out!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
so i was just chatting with a fellow ab member about something completely unrelated to g.porteri/rosea..however the species was brought up and the old saying came to mind.EVERY ONE HAS TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE. so it has me wondering how many of us currently own these species? i have kept them but haven't had either in my collection since 05. but i want one again.. i don't really know why as i have other species that pale them in comparison. maybe its nostalgia..maybe they shoot subliminal messages that compel us to buy and reproduce them for some yet to be disclosed master plan for world domination..who knows!!! lol! so please hit this post with a plus 1 or a smiley if you keep rosea/porteri.if the saying is true imagine how big this thread will be! also if everyone participates imagine the questions that can be raised by this...why is such a common species care requirments so misunderstood..if there is such a demand for this species why are so few being offered as captive bred?can the wild population sustain such losses anually?thanks guys. i am editing this post as i feel by some of the comments left by our "senior" keepers that i wasn't clear in my requests. please only comment if you keep this species...this post is about numbers not the opinion of the species...thanks guys

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
+1 :biggrin:
I have G rosea & Porteri, and 2 pulchripes slings. G rosea is the best looking right now pink carpace is awesome, smaller then porteri though yet hungrier.
Id imagine wild habitat is much different plus they do not often burrow in captivity if WC. I have often said this species might eventually go endangered do to WC specimens.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
so roughly in 1hr45 mins this post has had 46 views and 2 replies.so does this mean that so far only 2 out of 46 t keepers have g.rosea/porteri? this is getting interesting maybe there are less of these in collections than i had thought!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't have any nor do I want to. They don't interest me in the slightest. Slow growing, and fasts a lot. It's a no from me.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
EVERY ONE HAS TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE. so it has me wondering how many of us currently own these species? ...can the wild population sustain such losses annually?
No to both. 'Everyone' doesn't have to have one. Only an amateur would even think of something like that. I have no desire to ever own one. I want spiders that eat when I feed them. It's the source of more frustration that any other tarantula.

With their slow growth and harsh habitat, this species has probably suffered far more than any Brachypelma when it comes to over-collection. There's no excuse for taking large numbers of adults out of the wild for decades. This is the species that the pet trade can wipe out. How can anyone justify that?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
No to both. 'Everyone' doesn't have to have one. Only an amateur would even think of something like that. I have no desire to ever own one. I want spiders that eat when I feed them. It's the source of more frustration that any other tarantula.

With their slow growth and harsh habitat, this species has probably suffered far more than any Brachypelma when it comes to over-collection. There's no excuse for taking large numbers of adults out of the wild for decades. This is the species that the pet trade can wipe out. How can anyone justify that?
I agree with this and if I'd have had more knowledge when I got mine I would not have gotten them. I firmly believe in CB where possible and Grammostola sp. are certainly easily available in CB quantities. Definately big enough captive populations to preclude the necessity for wild harvests.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I'd rather watch paint dry. If you're interested in a grammostola go with pulchripes. They move and eat and everything!

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I'd rather watch paint dry. If you're interested in a grammostola go with pulchripes. They move and eat and everything!
:biggrin: We have a rosea. It eats, grabs crickets as soon as I put them in, and moves, regularly out and about. I guess we got the exception to the rule lol.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
:biggrin: We have a rosea. It eats, grabs crickets as soon as I put them in, and moves, regularly out and about. I guess we got the exception to the rule lol.

How long have you had it? They don't keep that up indefinitely. Let's see what you have to say a year from now.

---------- Post added 11-24-2014 at 09:56 AM ----------

Well put. Pulchripes is far more interesting. But it's not available as cheap w/c adults, so pet stores carry rosea.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

well Mr Poec i feel that's a very prejudicial view of the subject matter..how can you call anyone amateur for wanting to own any species of tarantula..do you own p.vitatta or regalis? these our usually the first species bought by budding poecilotheria keepers..does that make you an amateur?its hogwash that may deter people from commenting on a post for the fear of being demeaned for there preference in pet ts. its a comment that is unneeded and somewhat offensive. thanks for the rest of the post tho as your opinion on over collection, and behavior of this species was valid and pertained to the body of my original post.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
+1 my first T was a G. rosea/ porteri They do tend to fast but I still like mine. He just molted and looks really nice and is a treasured part of my collection.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
so far this post has had 121 views and 6 people keep rosea/porteri. its a very interesting margin between people that keep this species and those that dont, of course im not takeing into consideration the obvious variables at this time.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I currently own 4 confirmed sub to adult female G.porteri and 1 G.rosea sling. The sling is captive bred, whereas the females are obviously pet store rescues. I honestly cannot understand the dislike of this species but then, I've lucked out with mine and haven't had the issues this species is known for. While they all have the skittish to feisty personality (which I appreciate), a couple of my girls are exceptionally lovely porteri specimens and they all eat like there's no tomorrow--in fact, the only fasts I've experienced from any were temporary pre-molt fasts and the longest there was 4 months, from my largest and probably oldest girl. Even my recently deceased MM G.porteri ate up until about a week before his passing. I don't do anything different and in fact, my spiders are kept on the colder side with no outside heat except on the coldest of cold days so why mine eat where other people complain of constant fasts, I couldn't say. Maybe the inherent dryness of SoCal as opposed to normal, non-drought ridden locales?

I also really don't understand the bad rap they get for just sitting around, or being "pet rocks". With the exception of prepping their enclosures/burrows for a molt, most of my spiders just sit around. Heck, my Poecs sit around unless disturbed...on any given day my IM P.miranda is more likely to be in the same spot it was yesterday than my G.rosea sling.

Edit: I do want to say though, that no, not everyone needs one nor would they be suitable for everyone. They require an intense commitment, not only because of their long life but also because, should you want or need to leave the hobby, selling them off or even attempting to give them away could prove difficult. I bred one of my females with the aforementioned MM and did so knowing full well that in all likelihood, if it proves successful (which I'll probably know next year), that those slings will be with me for a long, long time and I'm prepared for and ok with it. But not everyone would be.

Last edited:

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
I've had my MF G. rosea for 8 years now. I don't know her true age, only that she was an adult when I got her. She has had some fasting periods, but when she's got an appetite, man, she has GOT one. She molted in June and ever since she's been ravenous. She immediately jumps on any and all crickets I toss in with her. She's very rewarding to feed. :) I don't particularly want another, but on the sad day which she passes away I'd consider getting a copper morph as I think they're very beautiful.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I currently own 4 confirmed sub to adult female G.porteri and 1 G.rosea sling. The sling is captive bred, whereas the females are obviously pet store rescues. I honestly cannot understand the dislike of this species but then, I've lucked out with mine and haven't had the issues this species is known for. While they all have the skittish to feisty personality (which I appreciate), a couple of my girls are exceptionally lovely porteri specimens and they all eat like there's no tomorrow--in fact, the only fasts I've experienced from any were temporary pre-molt fasts and the longest there was 4 months, from my largest and probably oldest girl. Even my recently deceased MM G.porteri ate up until about a week before his passing. I don't do anything different and in fact, my spiders are kept on the colder side with no outside heat except on the coldest of cold days so why mine eat where other people complain of constant fasts, I couldn't say. Maybe the inherent dryness of SoCal as opposed to normal, non-drought ridden locales?

I also really don't understand the bad rap they get for just sitting around, or being "pet rocks". With the exception of prepping their enclosures/burrows for a molt, most of my spiders just sit around. Heck, my Poecs sit around unless disturbed...on any given day my IM P.miranda is more likely to be in the same spot it was yesterday than my G.rosea sling.

Edit: I do want to say though, that no, not everyone needs one nor would they be suitable for everyone. They require an intense commitment, not only because of their long life but also because, should you want or need to leave the hobby, selling them off or even attempting to give them away could prove difficult. I bred one of my females with the aforementioned MM and did so knowing full well that in all likelihood, if it proves successful (which I'll probably know next year), that those slings will be with me for a long, long time and I'm prepared for and ok with it. But not everyone would be.
great post thank you! i agree this species of t is not for everyone. i think they are more sensitive to keeper error than a lot of species..i feel new keepers flock to them because of the low price and availability of wc individuals. most are simply impulse buys and little to no thought is given by the buyer as to this species care and longevity concerns nor is any concern given by the seller. these are cheap and readily available ts and unfortunately has led them to become what i call a throw out animal/disposable "pet".
often people buy g.rosea/porteri as there first t and upon realizing that t keeping appeals to them more colorful,rarer species are acquired and there once coveted rosehair falls by the wayside.i partly think that the opinion of some advanced keepers perpetuates this species throw away nature because its labeled a novice species and not many people want to be labeled as such.
my experience with rosea has been pleasant. i have never witnessed there legendary fasting or constant cage pacing or lack there of for that matter. i think as for a species as a whole they are pretty interesting due to the fact that they each seem to have their own unique personality types.i must however recognize the fact that so many people have issues with fasting,pacing and there intolerance for moisture and humidity and would advise that this species be kept by more experienced hobbyist.

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
I do not, nor have I ever had either. I am not however going to hold it against them for fasting or growing slowly. I have several Barchys that do the same thing, yet they are some of my favorites in my collection.