Missing H. incei---what now?

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
So one of my worst nightmares has happened.
About two weeks ago I moved some of my critters into new enclosures and that included a roughly 1.5 inch H. incei. I do remember wondering if some of the ventilation holes were slightly too big...but all was well as far as I could see (hindsight is 20/20). Wednesday of last week was the last time I checked up on everyone and then I went to do food and watering today....

Annd I don't know where she's at buuut I know where she's not.
Tore apart the 10x12 room she was in (flashlight in hand) but no luck.

I am completely strung out and heartbroken. Vaguely paranoid she got out not long after I transferred her (she was in the kitchen for about a week because I was rearranging stuff) and so is actually loose somewhere else other than the room she's usually in. To make matters worse, there's a good 2-3 inch diameter hole in the wall not far from her usual enclosure location and I have a sinking suspicion she went in there...which means she could be anywhere loose in the complex.

Haven't heard the neighbours scream yet though...so maybe she's still around.

I'm worried about her, worried about the other critters in the house and pretty worried about what happens if she turns up somewhere in the building and the landlord finds out.
Thoughts?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It's an H. incei. Tiny, inconspicuous, not 5" in legspan.
I doubt the average person or landlord will see it as anything other than a generic spider.

Make sure it absolutely isn't in it's enclosure, burrowed somewhere or in a crack. Otherwise, just keep an eye out. They can get into tiny places, but will tend to wander around if they haven't found any place nice to settle.

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
Thanks---that was my thought too but on the other hand we don't get a lot of gold/orange spiders around here.

She's absolutely not in her tank or anywhere on the bookcase where my other T's are, took all that apart and looked for her.
I know that she's probably gone/dead by now, but I've set out a container with some feeders in the room and hopefully she'll be tempted to come out and try to get them. I'll keep looking for her and keep my fingers crossed.

At least if I found her dead then I wouldn't be worried so much because it'd be an end of sorts.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
imo you cannot say that you know for a fact shes not burrowed into the sub and sealed it off.. i had my 2" smithi burrow down [seen her digging with a black light so knew what happened] and sealed the hole exactly level with the sub, with vent holes of 1/8th an inch and a lock on every side of the enclosure i KNEW she wasnt gone and had to be closed off...i actually had to try and remember what corner it was in as she was about 2" dug in and thenpushed all dirt back [was dry sub so wasnt obvious it was moved ofcourse] ..so unless youv taken the enclosure and run it thru a mesh strainer i dont think you can say shes not there.. she is tiny she can be anywhere. even in a blip on the cork bark if any is in her cage.. but not sure why this hole wasnt covered in the wall that could just cause problems all around..

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
As per hole in the wall the building is old, poorly built and maintained so is full of nooks and crannies and I literally just discovered it looking for her, sorta low down ground-level in the back of the closet---will be sealing it off now.
It is true that she could still be in there somewhere, but I really picked through her substrate (not as fine as with a mesh strainer mind you) and didn't see her.

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
Hope little incei turns up safe and sound.

There's a lesson in here for everyone that I also learned the hard way. If you're wondering if the ventilation holes in your T's home might be a little large then they're definitely too large!

I won't forget in a hurry tearing my house apart looking for Sophie (then a 3 inch C. fasciatum) and, like the OP, wondering exactly how things would go if she turned up downstairs in the bank I live above! Happily I found her about 6 inches from her tank, reviewed security procedures, thoroughly inspected the tank and put her back in. I couldn't work out exactly how she'd done it but I looked at the ventilation holes absolutely convinced that she couldn't possibly squish herself through them.She escaped again the next night to exactly the same place. Rest assured that I retired that tank and moved her to a new maximum security facility.

I'm going to say it again: Wondering if the ventilation holes in your T's home might be a little large? They're definitely too large!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Hope little incei turns up safe and sound.

There's a lesson in here for everyone that I also learned the hard way. If you're wondering if the ventilation holes in your T's home might be a little large then they're definitely too large!

I won't forget in a hurry tearing my house apart looking for Sophie (then a 3 inch C. fasciatum) and, like the OP, wondering exactly how things would go if she turned up downstairs in the bank I live above! Happily I found her about 6 inches from her tank, reviewed security procedures, thoroughly inspected the tank and put her back in. I couldn't work out exactly how she'd done it but I looked at the ventilation holes absolutely convinced that she couldn't possibly squish herself through them.She escaped again the next night to exactly the same place. Rest assured that I retired that tank and moved her to a new maximum security facility.

I'm going to say it again: Wondering if the ventilation holes in your T's home might be a little large? They're definitely too large!
Well most cases.. i always felt b4 i got a 1/4" all my enclosures had huge vents (even with using a thumb tack mind you) till i got it kept it for a wiel and realized "duur this T would no way in h*ll get out of here" however iv not had an escape so ig i dont know a Ts capabilities.. but i keep a pretty good size chart for my holes, i believe.. 1/4-1/2" advertized size(because most people over guess) melt with a tack.. 1/2-2" melt with a large paperclip. 2"+ 1/8" drill bit xD

i do have one enclosure i burned with a woodburner and they are like 3/5" i felt it was a little big as one T kept putting its feet in the holes x.X now its a tub to throw bolus and poo into to make maintenance quicker. XD