Avicularia Versicolor moulting issues...

asthmaticwookie

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I am very worried about my A. versicolor. It's been moulting (that I know of) now for almost 30 hours. It's a relatively large spiderling and verging on juvenile within the next moult or so. It's on it's back, in its webbed tunnel with the carapace pushed off but all the legs still seem to be inside the old exoskeleton. I can't really see without opening the webbing above and don't want to disturb it too much until I have to.

It's humid in there as I misted a few days day before I found it moulting, and actually lightly misted it this morning when I knew it was having trouble. It did have some food in the enclosure as I couldn't reach it (deep under the webbing) which I managed to get out this morning. I'm not sure if the food in there would have had an effect?

Out of the four moults two have been defective with the first losing a leg and the two before it actually lost both pedipalps but survived.

Some advice would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mat.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I am very worried about my A. versicolor. It's been moulting (that I know of) now for almost 30 hours. It's a relatively large spiderling and verging on juvenile within the next moult or so. It's on it's back, in its webbed tunnel with the carapace pushed off but all the legs still seem to be inside the old exoskeleton. I can't really see without opening the webbing above and don't want to disturb it too much until I have to.

It's humid in there as I misted a few days day before I found it moulting, and actually lightly misted it this morning when I knew it was having trouble. It did have some food in the enclosure as I couldn't reach it (deep under the webbing) which I managed to get out this morning. I'm not sure if the food in there would have had an effect?

Out of the four moults two have been defective with the first losing a leg and the two before it actually lost both pedipalps but survived.

Some advice would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mat.
its probably going to loose another leg. what is your humidity at in the enclosure and what temps do you keep your T room at?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
You should not mist. You should have dry sub with a water dish. Yes the little one may lose a leg. What you can do is wait it out and see what happens. Best of luck.

asthmaticwookie

Arachnopeon
I misted this morning, and the enclosure is at 86% humidity and just under 20 degrees Celsius or 68 degrees Fahrenheit. It usually fluctuates between 18-22 degrees Celsius, as it's slightly warmer than room temperature. It's still moving as it kicked a couple of legs when I put the probe in.

---------- Post added 11-25-2014 at 02:04 PM ----------

Ok thanks for the advice Ashton, however I have been reluctant as it's probably only now verging on a size large enough to warrant a water dish.

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
After 30hrs. I would say it's time to get involved! If all it's leg's have been stuck for over a day, this may not end well, however, you did say you can't see it well enough to be sure??? If possible, you can try giving it water by dripping it onto it's mouth parts with a cotton ball and see if it takes it in. That will help keep it alive, but if it's completely stuck, there's not much you can do for it. I've heard of people freeing stuck T's by cutting the cuticles and pulling the legs out, but that's an extreme last resort.

I'll cross my fingers for your little versi...

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I misted this morning, and the enclosure is at 86% humidity and just under 20 degrees Celsius or 68 degrees Fahrenheit. It usually fluctuates between 18-22 degrees Celsius, as it's slightly warmer than room temperature. It's still moving as it kicked a couple of legs when I put the probe in.

---------- Post added 11-25-2014 at 02:04 PM ----------

Ok thanks for the advice Ashton, however I have been reluctant as it's probably only now verging on a size large enough to warrant a water dish.
okay well yes you will need a waterdish. that will take car of most of your humidity and I would try to get your temp for the room a bit higher. they can live with 68 degrees Fahrenheit, but I personally think it should be higher than that. at least 75 degrees Fahrenheit. once you get that waterdish in the enclosure there will never be a need to ever mist again. just make sure you always keep the waterdish full. as sad as it is your versi will probably loose at least one leg from this one. just leave it alone for now, and wait it out, they can pop their own legs off during a molt if necessary.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Avics can have water dishes at just about any size, there are so many threads on here that more experienced keepers say that same thing. It works. . You should keep the little one at 72-85. Yes try to give it some water as suggested above. I would give it a little longer then intervene. Hope it all goes well.

asthmaticwookie

Arachnopeon
Ok this doesn't look good at all. I have cut the webbing to see and it really is having trouble. I will upload a couple of photos now.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It should have finished within an hour. It's new exoskeleton is hardening and it was unable to flex it's legs as that happened, so it's mostly paralyzed. There's nothing you can do, and there's no hope for survival.

asthmaticwookie

Arachnopeon
From what I can see, it has it's front two legs free and the rest are still in there. I think you're right it's a lost cause. I will leave it to see if any developments happen, but I can only see one outcome also. Poor chap...

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah a water dish is a huge plus to have. They won't drown, in the past few weeks I have posted a pic (a few times) of one of my small versicolor slings drinking from a water dish that's larger than its dls. All my slings get a water dish at 1/2". I've never misted my avics once. Over-misting is a huge reason why so many people have difficulties with avics, as is a lack of cross ventilation....combine the two and it can be a death sentence.

While 68 may be ok most of the time, around the molting period especially, that's just too cool. If I know one of mine is nearing molt, or post molt, I keep them warmer. Mid (at least low) 70's at least during this critical time-period.

Good luck, like mentioned, it may be too late by now...hopefully it just looses a few legs.