OBT doesnt web and is pretty timid.

sezra

Arachnosquire
I've had my OBT for over a year now, and its never webbed. I've recently rehoused it, and after 2 weeks, nothing. It spends its day in its hide, and comes out at night for a bit of a wander.

it seems to burrow a fair bit, so maybe thats why it doesnt web? Im jealous of all these pics I see of OBT's with really impressive webs which they defend with their lives, yet mine (at about 3") would rather run than fight.

Sure, i've had it easy... no teenage tantrums when cleaning its room, and I've never had a threat posture (I lie, I had a half arsed half a leg threat trying to retrieve the last molt), and rehousing has always been (relatively) straight forward. I mean I've had to scoop it off the bathroom wall a few times, but no big deal.

It kind of unnerves me a little to have such a docile specimen really. I'm half expecting a dr Jekyll and mr Hyde scenario one day.

Im starting to suspect its male because its really, really leggy. are males known to be less agressive?

Anyway, does anyone else have an OBT that has a similar temperament to mine?

Last edited:

sezra

Arachnosquire
not off hand, but I can get some pics for you tomorrow.

The thing is, he/she has never webbed, even in the old enclosure, it has always burrowed. I'll admit, the enclosure its in now may be slightly on large size and it has room to grow, but its done the same thing, dug a nice burrow. He/she seems happy enough and takes a large crikect once a week, so im not too worried. maybe I have an abnormal obt?.

cold blood

Staff member
not off hand, but I can get some pics for you tomorrow.

The thing is, he/she has never webbed, even in the old enclosure, it has always burrowed. I'll admit, the enclosure its in now may be slightly on large size and it has room to grow, but its done the same thing, dug a nice burrow. He/she seems happy enough and takes a large crikect once a week, so im not too worried. maybe I have an abnormal obt?.
I kinda figured it was in a larger enclosure. I doubt you have anything to really be concerned about. If it were in a tighter enclosure with anchor points, it would most likely change its way of life and web a lot more.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
OBT's need dry substrate and good ventilation. If they're too moist and stuffy, they go downhill, hopefully that's not the case with yours.

It could be the spider is overwhelmed being in a large cage. If it's kept cool, that could slow it down too.

Regardless, be prepared for a personality change at any time, and hope your fingers aren't nearby.