Deli cups.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Does anyone else use delis with special lids? I use 32 oz for 3/4"+ arboreals and fossoreals and 16 oz for 1"+ terrestrials.

1416967809193.jpg
Brachypelma vagans 2"
1416967762124.jpg
Poecilotheria metallica 1 1/4"
1416967874549.jpg
Avicularia versicolor 1 1/2"

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Cloth or screen but I use mainly cloth.
Got any pics of this? I only added screen a few times but it dryed enclosure out too easy. I guess it could work well for dryer species like H mac.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
1416970683326.jpg 1416970762046.jpg For anyone that thinks it is ultra imperative to keep humidity so high with Avics here is proof that it is not too necessary and a screen lid is fine.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah Psalmous need high airflow also, mold kills them easy. My Female P Irminia cage , huge square pretzel jar has a incredible amount of wholes in the sides. for cross ventalation, screening I might add later on.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Yeah mine is currently in a 1 gallon jar and it has holes everywhere. My cambridgei doesn't have as many but has plenty of air flow

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
For me, screen has too much airflow, there's not much microclimate. Side cross ventilation is better. Spiders can chew thru cheesecloth, so unless you have slings in there, you're taking a gamble.

---------- Post added 11-25-2014 at 10:24 PM ----------

it could work well for dryer species like H mac.
I don't keep my maculata as dry as Avics. They're from West African rainforests and like a little moisture.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
For me, screen has too much airflow, there's not much microclimate. Side cross ventilation is better. Spiders can chew thru cheesecloth, so unless you have slings in there, you're taking a gamble.

---------- Post added 11-25-2014 at 10:24 PM ----------

I don't keep my maculata as dry as Avics. They're from West African rainforests and like a little moisture.
Well good thing I been keeping H mac on the wetter side, I just thought they could tolerate dryness. Guess now :) What about pokies? do they need lots of moisture? Mine seem to do good dryer with full waterdish or two.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well good thing I been keeping H mac on the wetter side, I just thought they could tolerate dryness. Guess now :) What about pokies? do they need lots of moisture? Mine seem to do good dryer with full waterdish or two.
I give my Poecs slightly moist substrate, certainly not soggy, but not bone dry either. All my spiders, arboreals included, get water bowls, which helps with humidity. Avics are the oddball arboreals, and require drier substrate and more airflow than the others.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I give my Poecs slightly moist substrate, certainly not soggy, but not bone dry either. All my spiders, arboreals included, get water bowls, which helps with humidity. Avics are the oddball arboreals, and require drier substrate and more airflow than the others.
Yes, I don;t buy many Avics I can care for them but I prefer pokies, Psalmous to Avics. I do have A Avic SP pet-store it is thriving, No idea what species. I bet A avic or A metallica.

Pokies love woodbark also I got many that will squeeze into it too feel secure , safe.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Yes, I don;t buy many Avics I can care for them but I prefer pokies, Psalmous to Avics. I do have A Avic SP pet-store it is thriving, No idea what species. I bet A avic or A metallica.

Pokies love woodbark also I got many that will squeeze into it too feel secure , safe.
Throw us a pic of that Avic, maybe someone can help ID it.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Got any pics of this? I only added screen a few times but it dryed enclosure out too easy. I guess it could work well for dryer species like H mac.
I had the same problem. I spent all kinds of time, money, energy, and resources cutting a large hole in the lids of deli cups and hot glueing aluminum, mesh screen in its place. I even used organic topsoil and the sub would dry out almost immediately. And I live in a fairly humid area.