First Dead T

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
So yesterday I came home to find my very first dead T.

It was a little Avic Avic probably just under 2cm DLS. It seemed weak from the day I got it and did not have the same behaviour as the other three Avics I bought at the same time(the others consist of 2 A. versi and 1 A. avic). It did eat but not aswel as the others, it was kept in the exact same conditions as the others.

Unfortunately in South Africa we have load shedding(were the government switches off the power to suburbs when the load is too high) and with the peculiar weather we have been having I had about 40hours of no electricity and one very cold night that the Ts had to survive, despite best efforts I lost the poor little Avic avic.

Almost a year in the hobby and it is my first, I knew it would happen sooner or later but it still sucks. :mask::bruised:

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Bummer! At least it wasn't a more expensive species. Maybe figure out how to insulate your Ts, the slings at least, since there will be many more cold nights. I'd also suggest smaller containers and pre-killed/disabled prey if you come across a similar situation where a sling isn't hunting as effectively.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Sounds like this would kill all pets that aren't warm blooded, Sorry for your loss.

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
I have Ts of all shapes and sizes. My Avics being one of the more recent purchases and hence the smallest ones.

I wrapped hand towels around all of my slings still in deli cups while the power was off and we had that cold night, it was just the weaker one that did not make, nature doing what it does...

The cold nights are not the problem, cold nights with no power is the problem. Since my collection has exploded since I first started I'm going to have to start looking at UPS with deep cell batteries so I can get a few hours of power and keep the T room warm(connect the set up to a thermostate and when the temp in the room drops below x degrees switch on the heater until it reaches x degrees). I would hate to loose a large part of my collection and I have another 4 Ts arriving today or tomorrow...

We all go through losing a T, I must admit I am somewhat proud to get to almost a year and only have one die now. I have raised a few slings already with no problems. My Avic versis' have molted each once and looking good for their next molt. A diversipes has molted a few times(she had one two days ago) and is doing amazing! Looks so sexy!

Any way... we learn from our mistakes and I will improve my set up and technique so this wont happen in the future. After all insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that =( Perhaps have some containers that can fit the smaller containers left open in the room, if the power suddenly goes off place the smaller ones inside and close the lid tight, might give them a better chance

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
Sorry to hear that =( Perhaps have some containers that can fit the smaller containers left open in the room, if the power suddenly goes off place the smaller ones inside and close the lid tight, might give them a better chance
I didnt have any... All available containers had Ts in them! LOL!!

Really not the end of the world...

I got my Ts mentioned above and actually got one for free. YAY!!! :D
2x psalmopoeus pulcher(one was free-they were the cheaper T in this purchase)
1x Haplopelma lividum
1x Monocentropus balfouri
1x Poecilotheria metallica

I have unwarpped the H. lividum and M. balfouri next up is the poec ...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You could get a Power generator and keep Ts alive with it, but that would be pricey,.

Sana

Arachnoprince
In the US a product is sold directed at campers that is a heat pack which you open the packaging and break internal crystals in a pouch that have a chemical reaction that creates heat as a byproduct. They're super cheap here in CO and you could probably get them online but I believe that you need an insulating layer (styrofoam, newspaper, cardboard, etc.) between the heat pack and the enclosure. Might ask a more experienced keeper for ideas on the specific setup you would need to create for T safety, but those may work. My experience is that the silly things will give off quite a bit of heat for an entire night (camping on a glacier). They are single use, but as I said, inexpensive.

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
In the US a product is sold directed at campers that is a heat pack which you open the packaging and break internal crystals in a pouch that have a chemical reaction that creates heat as a byproduct. They're super cheap here in CO and you could probably get them online but I believe that you need an insulating layer (styrofoam, newspaper, cardboard, etc.) between the heat pack and the enclosure. Might ask a more experienced keeper for ideas on the specific setup you would need to create for T safety, but those may work. My experience is that the silly things will give off quite a bit of heat for an entire night (camping on a glacier). They are single use, but as I said, inexpensive.
We get them for medical use around here, not too expensive and a good idea. Never thought about that as an emergency back up and so far the cheapest option!! Awesome idea! Thank you!