3 perfect reasons to love being an addict

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These in my eyes are perfect examples of why I personally don't mind being labelled an addict. People outside of the addiction don't realise how diverse,colourful,amazing, fascinating etc etc these little harmless creatures are. I know some people are genuinely terrified of spiders of any sort and I guess I can see why. But as a human in this hobby I feel im having my life enriched on an almost daily basis I mean it's easy to see why from the pictures above. 3 completely different species that each bring a little something different to the party. Finally there's the arachnid community it's a mirror image of the ts we own it's full of diverse,colourful,genuine,grounded people and I for 1 am glad im part of it all

Attachments

CobaltRose

Arachnopeon
Beautiful T's! :love:

I only got my first T (a juvenile B.Albo) yesterday, but I can already see why this hobby gets so addictive! I've always found tarantulas fascinating, but now I've got one of my own my love for them has grown immeasurably. :)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congratulations on your new t BTW it won't be your last. The b albo is a fantastic choice to start with its what got me into this hobby

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Beautiful T's! :love:

I only got my first T (a juvenile B.Albo) yesterday, but I can already see why this hobby gets so addictive! I've always found tarantulas fascinating, but now I've got one of my own my love for them has grown immeasurably. :)
Yes, congrats, CobaltRose, and welcome OFFICIALLY to the hobby/addiction! Your B. albo finally arrived, did it? Excellent. Great starter species. Now you have to start thinking about which one to get next.......and we can all be of immense assistance with that. LOL

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
Yea it definitely wont be your last haha
I got a sub adult a. brocklehursti (hobby) about 2 months ago if that...
now i have an A Avic i saved from a pet smart
Then this past weekend i ended up with a P. Rufilata and a Haplopelma lividum
The addiction is real and i love it

Not to mention my GF who is VERY frightened of spiders of any kind is slowly but surely losing alot of that fear as far as t's go. I even let her pick out my second t from this past weekend... WHICH go figure is the cobalt blue lol one of the more aggressive species. She even sings to my A. Brocklehursti (hobby) and the T literally reacts to it and always begins cleaning herself.

This hobby can bring alot of good into poeoples lives if they just take the chance to try it and care about the little fuzzy lovers

CobaltRose

Arachnopeon
Yes, congrats, CobaltRose, and welcome OFFICIALLY to the hobby/addiction! Your B. albo finally arrived, did it? Excellent. Great starter species. Now you have to start thinking about which one to get next.......and we can all be of immense assistance with that. LOL
Oh yes, I've been warned by many people that your first tarantula can NEVER be your last... My new (very furry) friend is living up to the Curly Hair reputation, SUPER docile and calm, almost shy! Not even kicked hairs at me.... Yet. :p

Thanks for the welcome! :D

Sana

Arachnoprince
The lady that I bought my first T from (a little g. pulchripes sling) told me that T's are like potato chips. Can't have just one. I thought she was nuts when she told me that besides that dozens her shop carried, she personally owned several dozen which decorated her living room. I know better now!

CobaltRose

Arachnopeon
The lady that I bought my first T from (a little g. pulchripes sling) told me that T's are like potato chips. Can't have just one. I thought she was nuts when she told me that besides that dozens her shop carried, she personally owned several dozen which decorated her living room. I know better now!
I heard they're like Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all! ;)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
People outside of the addiction don't realise how diverse,colourful,amazing, fascinating etc etc these little harmless creatures are.

Not entirely harmless, but most bites occur when people handle them and do other things they shouldn't be doing.

Last edited:

Enn49

Arachnosquire
These in my eyes are perfect examples of why I personally don't mind being labelled an addict. People outside of the addiction don't realise how diverse,colourful,amazing, fascinating etc etc these little harmless creatures are. I know some people are genuinely terrified of spiders of any sort and I guess I can see why. But as a human in this hobby I feel im having my life enriched on an almost daily basis I mean it's easy to see why from the pictures above. 3 completely different species that each bring a little something different to the party. Finally there's the arachnid community it's a mirror image of the ts we own it's full of diverse,colourful,genuine,grounded people and I for 1 am glad im part of it all
They're 3 very good reasons, great pics. I have to agree with you about them all bringing something different to the party even within a species they can all have different personalities.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
This time last year,I had 1 T.stirmi,now I have 24 adult females,some males,and some slings.The addiction hit me hard! And to think to some people on here can barely remember when they "only" had as many as I do.Some may say that's too many,too fast,but I have a climate controlled T room,everyone got a new cage when I got them,so they're all well taken care of.I saw no sense in a T room for a few bugs,so I filled it.My want list is still longer than my have list,though.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In English, we had to do our 'warm-up' on something we are thankful for that we take for granted. I don't it about all my amazing animals and my parents. I said that I am thankful for parents that don't mind what kind of pets I have and that I am thankful that I get to be around animals from all parts of the world, Africa, Asia, South America, etc, that most people will never get to see.

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
Great thread!

I love their body language and moods. My B smithi gravitates towards the natural light and I frequently find her in the mornings on her favourite piece of cork bark, facing the window.
Finding my oldest G rosea wandering over to her water dish and watching her have a deep drink after a heavy nights digging (and trashing her tank into the bargain).
The outrage from my B emilia as I attempt to remove her bolus with tweezers, stomping menacingly towards me, horror-movie style!
Being delighted by my GBB webbing everywhere, then pulling it down after a couple of weeks and doing it all over again.

But the cutest is my little B vagans. I love watching her stalk her prey and eventually catching it commando style, pouncing on it and rolling around, pedipalps going like mad.

Great to watch when there's nothing on the telly! :biggrin:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not entirely harmless, but most bites occur when people handle them and do other things they shouldn't be doing.
Yeah I only handle Ts needed they run up on me when I am doing maintenance, breeding, rehouse. I never handle them on purpose, except Had to pinch grab B vagans during rehouse she wouldn't move.
The T owners buying them just for handling is a thing of the past, Id rather get bit by a OW than get haired.

No offense to T owners who handle, Ts but I used to pick them up now I am alergic to URt hairs.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The T owners buying them just for handling is a thing of the past, Id rather get bit by a OW than get haired.

No offense to T owners who handle, Ts but I used to pick them up now I am alergic to URt hairs.

The hobby is maturing, and more people are not handling their spiders. That's a very good thing. The goal should be to treat them with respect and give them a naturalistic home, not to have a fuzzy little buddy to handle or show off with.