B.Boehmei in pre molt?

ARPotts

Arachnopeon
So I still consider myself new to the hobby, had Ts for about a year n a half now and for the most part still struggle to spot whether my ts are in premolt. I usually just check my records n see if its about time ahaha. Anyway, does this lil Boehmei look in pre molt to you's?

Attachments

Sana

Arachnoprince
That's what mine look like in pre-molt. Is s/he refusing food?

ARPotts

Arachnopeon
Obviously most signs are there, not eating, and been 4-6 weeks since the last but just want to get accustomed to visual cues, so anyone who comments, could you point out things to look out for in future :) Thanks

Sana

Arachnoprince
When any of my T kids gets that fat I start watching for their colors to get a bit dull. It looks in the pic like yours is a duller black on the abdomen, though that could be lighting. The other big visual cue for mine isn't the T, but waking up in the morning to find double the amount of web as when I went to sleep. Another thing for me is a behavioral quirk that I've noticed. I don't know if this is universally true but all of my T's start standing partially vertical against the sides of the enclosure or their hide (terrestrials) and stretching in strange ways (arboreals). One other thing that I've noticed though I've only seen it on my arboreals to this point, their joints start getting progressively more light colored and larger in appearance.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
The large, shiny black rump is a good clue, as is the dull coloration and being off food. But what I look for most in mine is an uptick in burrowing, webbing and/or cleaning out the burrow. That usually clues me in well before shiny rumps or fasting. Obviously this depends on the spider, after all I have a few that move sub or web 24/7/365, but with the ones who spend most of their day just hanging about, it's a pretty good indicator something's up.

cold blood

Staff member
Definitely pre-molt.

Why is it in such a Spartan "cage"? It needs a hide, a water dish and a little deeper substrate so that it can burrow if it desires. Pre-molt is a time they prefer to be in a burrow.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Definitely pre-molt.

Why is it in such a Spartan "cage"? It needs a hide, a water dish and a little deeper substrate so that it can burrow if it desires. Pre-molt is a time they prefer to be in a burrow.
this made me laugh... but you are right as usual ;P

OP; its def in premolt. the darker abd and shine proves it. however next molt give it a much larger tank! and at least a leaf or log to hide under.. my boehmai is 3" area and still likes to hide eevery now and then. not offen but nice to give them the option

ARPotts

Arachnopeon
The plan was to move them into a bigger one this molt... I already have it set up infact...
I waited until my last T was this size before moving up and providing a water dish, hid etc. and hes fine

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I'd go with a smaller hide, they prefer tight places and a smaller, tighter fitting hide will be more welcoming for the t. There should really be just enough room for it to squeeze into...it will excavate from there.

How deep is the substrate in there?