My B. Smithi stopped hiding

RickysReptiles

Arachnosquire
A couple months ago my B. smithi was using her hide exclusively - she was in there for a solid month. She was in premolt. She eventually molted, and has not gone back into her hide since. Why? Should I even be concerned that she doesn't hide anymore? Sh'es eating 1 or 2 crickets a week and hasn't refused any since she stopped hiding. She walks on the walls and the top of the enclosure, which is why I'm worried. The furthest she can fall is about 2", so I'm not too worried.. but still. Should I just take a chill pill, or should I change something? (She is about 2.5" dia)

borotasinisa

Arachnopeon
It's normal, don't put too much water on the substrate, this can be one of the reasons she is climbing, but there can be no reason at all..

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do some research on tarantula behavior - particularly in captivity.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A couple months ago my B. smithi was using her hide exclusively - she was in there for a solid month. She was in premolt. She eventually molted, and has not gone back into her hide since. Why? Should I even be concerned that she doesn't hide anymore? Sh'es eating 1 or 2 crickets a week and hasn't refused any since she stopped hiding. She walks on the walls and the top of the enclosure, which is why I'm worried. The furthest she can fall is about 2", so I'm not too worried.. but still. Should I just take a chill pill, or should I change something? (She is about 2.5" dia)
Once mine got over 2.5" they are bold and sit out in open they never burrow. I think some Ts know they are in captivity they do not even burrow at bigger sizes. Obligate burrowers however need a burrow to thrive .EX king baboon, and all haplo's. MY female Smithi is about 4" got a while til its full sized I bet.

cold blood

Staff member
My B. smithi led a subterranean lifestyle until it hit 2.5", its been out in the open 99% of the time since.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My B. smithi led a subterranean lifestyle until it hit 2.5", its been out in the open 99% of the time since.
Yeah lots of Ts who live in a burrow there whole life in wild, will not burrow as adults in captivity. My G rosea will not burrow, I could try a fake burrow.

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
It's time to be sure she can't escape.
My girl is about 6" now and has no trouble pushing the screen lid off her 10 gal. aquarium type enclosure.She's been able to do this since she was about 3" or so. I have to keep a heavy book on her tank to keep her from getting out.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It just shows she is comfortable, smithis are normally pretty relaxed (although you get some like mine sometimes, which freaks at the slightest breeze) My rosea exhibits similar behaviour, she will go for months using her hide then suddenly web up the entrance and hang outside for months on end, no need to be concerned

RickysReptiles

Arachnosquire
Just a quick update. She now uses her burrow again. She also refused food for the first time since her moult lastnight. Is it possible for a T to moult twice in only a couple months? Shes only missed one meal, so it's likely just that she wasn't in the mood... just curious though.

cold blood

Staff member
Just a quick update. She now uses her burrow again. She also refused food for the first time since her moult lastnight. Is it possible for a T to moult twice in only a couple months? Shes only missed one meal, so it's likely just that she wasn't in the mood... just curious though.
Of course its possible...actually its plausible if its been fed well. I've had Brachy's molt after only 30 days or so, twice that amount of time would be normal.

Actually 50-70 day molting schedule has been the norm for mine.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
Oh no.
I'm afraid your brachy has a terrible case of...
"Spider behaviour"
I reccomend an immediate 20cc of "chill pill"
Haha jp :)

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
Both of my brachys do the same, I have hides for them and they don't go in as much, perhaps they find it cooler outside, not really sure why but I enjoy watching them. :D

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Of course its possible...actually its plausible if its been fed well. I've had Brachy's molt after only 30 days or so, twice that amount of time would be normal.

Actually 50-70 day molting schedule has been the norm for mine.
Agreed my sexed fem smithi is about 3.5-4 last molted at 53 days and its been exactly 53 days sense her previous molt and about to pop her top any day now, however my boehmei fem whos slightly smaller (prob 3.5-3.75) molted on the 77 day sced area (was like 72 the molt befor i think) depends on the T how much they eat and their size/sex

Also once these ladies hit 1.5 and 2" they nolonger used a hide with a single exception of a molt after rehousing (cant blame her id be scared too)

RickysReptiles

Arachnosquire
Oh no.
I'm afraid your brachy has a terrible case of...
"Spider behaviour"
I reccomend an immediate 20cc of "chill pill"
Haha jp :)
HAHA! This is typical noob behaviour. Like most viruses, I needed to go through a phase for my body to become imune to it. lol

Well, turns out. She molted! So I'm pretty glad that I noticed that something was up. Makes me feel a bit more confidant.