what exactly should I do ?!?!

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I just was at an lps that had a sale so I bought some sub and an LP for about $9. I left and was going to my gradfather's car when I saw someone leave something by the door. I believe its a Theraphosa but it is not doing well. It is missing 2 legs. Its abdomen is large but I'm concerned about bleeding. What do I do?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is the store knowledgeable? I don't think you can just walk up to the store and take it though.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Well its a pet store so i can't guarantee they can and also its too late for that just because i don't trust pet stores

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Have you seen how they take care of there animals? Do they legitimately care about them? If the pet stores already have him, I would honestly let them keep it. I am not about to pay for an overpriced dying tarantula.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
i didnt pay some guy just left it at the door outside. also their dry ts are kept perfectly but their humid ones are kept drier

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would leave it, I wouldn't waste my money on them. The tarantula is already injured, maybe dying and they aren't going to take great care of it and are going to over charge you.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
i didnt pay some guy just left it at the door outside. also their dry ts are kept perfectly but their humid ones are kept drier
Take it home, put it on moist substrate & give it water, then food in a day or two. You might be able to revive it. Worth a shot.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Well it is home with me and I am setting up the tank now. If it pulls through then i will have gotten a free T I guess. People irritate me. Its like 40 degrees out and he set it on the ground outside

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
since they set it OUTSIDE the store.. I totally would have nabbed it. congrats.. probably really just needs some TLC and you got yourself a really nice T. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well it is home with me and I am setting up the tank now. If it pulls through then i will have gotten a free T I guess. People irritate me. Its like 40 degrees out and he set it on the ground outside
With an abdomen that plump it should be fine, as long as it wasn't exposed to the cold too long. Unless it molts soon, it should regenerate those legs next molt. Feed it moderately, but don't overfeed it, so that it has more time to regenerate them.

Great rescue!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I am not mistaken in saying its a stirmi right?

Yes, w/c. Probably 99% of the Theraphosa you find anywhere in this country, any size, are stirmi. It's the hardiest in the genus and the easiest to reproduce.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I just was at an lps that had a sale so I bought some sub and an LP for about $9. I left and was going to my gradfather's car when I saw someone leave something by the door. I believe its a Theraphosa but it is not doing well. It is missing 2 legs. Its abdomen is large but I'm concerned about bleeding. What do I do?
Theraphosa are advanced Ts, I am sure you will do fine. Good luck I bet you can nurse this T back to good health !.

---------- Post added 11-26-2014 at 08:56 PM ----------

Yes, w/c. Probably 99% of the Theraphosa you find anywhere in this country, any size, are stirmi. It's the hardiest in the genus and the easiest to reproduce.
Yeah My Stirmi only died due to a cyst, it was very though and did fine with cage dry for months. I added water before its molt to raise humidity.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Take it home, put it on moist substrate & give it water, then food in a day or two. You might be able to revive it. Worth a shot.
+1

Isn't this pretty much a no brainer. It was pretty much a goner otherwise. What would the odds be that someone with t experience would have ever even seen it. Heck it wouldn't take long in CO at this time of year to be chilled to fatal levels.

Good luck with it Ashton.

Makes you wonder just how hard they actually tried before leaving the poor thing.:(

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I also got the experience of stirmi hairs tonight. It seems just fine now. If I am correct it is a male.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I also got the experience of stirmi hairs tonight. It seems just fine now. If I am correct it is a male.
Yea you can sex it ventrally if it is that big, I am alergic to Hairs so I need to get rubber gloves.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Its about 5 inches
Post pics if you can get any but try not to get haired,.. Ventral underside of your T. If you have enough expereince you can guess the sex yourself. Molt sexing is easier though.