B vagans MM chickened out? of breeding

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Female is a lot bigger and seems to be in a bad mood, very well fed too.
I am trying to breed a MM with bigger LS prob 6" with my female who is 5" she looked like she was going to breed but MM just ran away:cry:.
My female is small the biggest B vagans are 7"females they are the biggest brachy.

I do not blame him female is a lot bigger than my OBT & twice the weight she is very defensive maybe she is too far into molt cycle.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There are some very good reasons why males aren't always eager to get under a big moody female that has her fangs out. Not the least of which is instant death, before or after insertion. I had this happen to the male the one time I bred vagans. Fangs right thru his carapace the second after insertion. It would put a damper on my excitement too if I thought it was going to happen to me.

This year I had a big genic male that seemed hesitant to get under a very eager and receptive female. I thought him a bit cowardly. Finally after several attempts he got into position, and after insertion, the female immediately bear hugged him, and sunk her fangs thru his head. She had him so tight I couldn't pry her off.

I bred a Chilobrachys species (dyscolus?) in which the adult males are no more than 4", and very thin and wiry. Females are 7" and robust. Huge difference in size. The males started courtship right away, did an admirable job in getting the female in the mood, inserted their palps, and were promptly killed and eaten by the females. Brave little guys. I think they knew they weren't coming out alive, but that's their mission in life and they accepted it.