Psalmopoeus pulcher sling behaviour

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
Does the Psalmopoeus pulcher slings burrow(like some Poecilotheria)? Or are they more likely to go arboreal if given the correct set up(like most? Avics)?

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They burrow a lot as slings, I think that whole genus does, I know P. irminia does.

cold blood

Staff member
Does the Psalmopoeus pulcher slings burrow(like some Poecilotheria)? Or are they more likely to go arboreal if given the correct set up(like most? Avics)?
yes...:wink:

Some stay on the ground and burrow, others make their web tubes up a little higher. I think as slings and even juvies, they are less inclined to commit to a full arboreal lifestyle.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
yes...:wink:

Some stay on the ground and burrow, others make their web tubes up a little higher. I think as slings and even juvies, they are less inclined to commit to a full arboreal lifestyle.
My Adult female lives in her tube-web and is only seen when she ventures out for food at night etc. A pet web yes, but it rather her feel safe.

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
Thanks, just wanted to know which enclosure I should have set up.:eek:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks, just wanted to know which enclosure I should have set up.
My 3 species of Psalmos are all in horizontal cages, and either stay on the cork slab (cambridgei) or under it (irminia & pulcher). They're prone to fast dashes as slings, but I've never had adults run out of their cages.

cold blood

Staff member
My 3 species of Psalmos are all in horizontal cages...They're prone to fast dashes as slings, but I've never had adults run out of their cages.
I think they can be housed either way, as long as there is proper cover available for them. They are not a spider I would worry much about having the height with, but I could easily see it not being necessary like poec keeps em.

They are great at using hides, altering or adapting hides or even creating their own out of a dirty web tube. As long as they have that nice secure "home base" they tend to just sit tight within them. I've never had one bolt or even give me a moment of pause and as they've grown, they all seem more predictable in a way as they get a touch less skittish.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
The slings aren't much different than other species in the genus but all my pulcher juvie/adults have been a bit more "arboreal" than my cambridgei, irminia, and reduncus juvie/adults. P. pulcher are more elaborate webers, and in my case, they barely break the substrate surface. IME P. pulcher like to web a lot more and don't just have dirt curtains around the cork bark like most juvies/adults in the genus.