Crickets Escaping Ts Cage?

rbell

Arachnopeon
Hi there. I feed my T live crickets; I just throw them in her cage and check every day if they're gone or not. if they're not, I take them out. i started out with medium sized crickets and they were all gone after a few hours of being in there. The next day, however, I woke up with a cricket in my bed. it might have escaped from the container I keep them all in, or squeezed itself through the ventilation holes of my Ts cage.
I then got her small ones and they were all immediately gone. I found one in the living room the next day.
I didn't use large crickets at first because she is a juvenile, but I needed to test if the crickets were escaping from the ventilation holes. I threw in 2 large crickets (full grown adults) and 6 hrs or so later they were both gone. i'm still waiting to see one of them somewhere in my house.
My question is, do any of you think a large cricket could actually squeeze through the ventilation holes? (I've attached images) I understand the small and the medium, but the large? IMG_2717.jpg

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
If you pinch off the crickets jumping legs and make sure they have nothing to climb up to the holes on, they won't be able to get out. If you pinch the knee on the jumping legs, the cricket will just drop them off. Crickets can't climb smooth surfaces so all they could do is run around on the sub or whatever you have in there.

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
It certainly looks like they could get through to me.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crickets are notorious escape artists, I always find one around the house at least once a week, they could be escaping the box when you take some out for your T or they could be escaping through the vent holes. In any case, it's very difficult to prevent them from escaping no matter how hard you try lol As others suggested, try throwing them closer to your T so they get nailed quicker

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Aren't you seeing your spider eating? I don't think adult crickets could get thru those holes. Plus they'd need a way to get to them, something to climb on to reach them.

Did those holes come with the cage? If not, I'd put them higher up next time, and also put some on the ends so you get cross ventilation from all 4 sides.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't think adult crickets could get thru those holes.
Rick is correct; adult crickets can't escape through those ventilation holes. I've had two of those enclosures, from Jamie's tarantulas.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Rick is correct; adult crickets can't escape through those ventilation holes. I've had two of those enclosures, from Jamie's tarantulas.
I rarely have crickets escape from spider cages. But every time I feed, I have a few hop out of the vials I scoop them up with, or they hop out of the spider cage before I get the lid back on. Those can be attributed to keeper error.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If for whatever reason you can't confirm your t is eating right when you feed it check for a bolus the next day. If you have a t that doesn't feed immediately when food is offered then only offer 1 cricket at a time you don't want a bunch of crix munching on your t overnight.also that's a pretty tall enclosure,is your t arboreal? If it is I would reccomend vertical climbing surfaces such as bark and maybe some broadleaf plants that extend mid way up the enclosure, a big pothos would work real or fake it doesn't matter. If its a terrestrial species I would suggest adding more substrate to prevent a nasty fall on to those rocks or the hide.

Last edited: