L. difficilis molt history (sling to mature)

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
I have an L. difficilis that matured out as a male today. Just thought I'd post the molt history as a data point for those curious as to growth rate. While it only reflects one spider and a male to boot, it is a data point for those curious about this species.

Bought as CB spiderling 4/4/03, size about 3/8" (small)
molts:
4/24/03
5/23/03
6/24/03
7/31/03
9/23/03
12/4/03
3/16/04
6/13/04 Matured out male, size about 6"

Spider kept at about 75 degrees and 60% humidity. As a sling fed about 2 or 3 times a week, once a juvie, it was fed once a week at most.

Very defensive, hair flicker, threat posture all the time, voracious eater just like my L. parahybana.

Appearance before maturing molt similar to L. Parahybana except many reddish hairs on abdomen and grizzled looking carapace. Hairs pretty much straight.

Appearance after maturing molt is surprisingly different. Hairs are now all wild and curly like B. albopilosum except abdomen has red hairs. Very fuzzy looking, but still has grizzled looking carapace.

Anyway, just thought I'd post for those thinking of getting this species for their collection. :)

Attachments

KZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very interesting!

I got Rory at the Chicago Reptile Show last October, and he was about 3/4' then, still nondescript and generic looking. As of now, this is the appearance (see photo), and sounds like there are about 4 more months to go before I find out if Rory is a boy or not!! I hope not ... I hate that death sentence that the male molt brings!!

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Very quick growing when fed well, faster than lp! Death sentence to males is short lifespan :cry: Unlike big male scorps, which are like tanks.