another noob question. Having trouble finding good places to get CB Ts.

Methal

Arachnosquire
(and by another I mean Another....)
I've got about 4 on my list I want to get.

B. albopilosum
M. Balfouri
P. Metallica
and GBB.

There is so much drama on YouTube from popular breeders, especially for the P Metallica. all bashing each other saying each other are cheats etc.

I've seen prices going all over the place, especially for the M Balfouri.

The only online dealer I've used is BackWater Reptiles. I got a OBT from them.
Don't particularly like to eat that 40.00 shipping cost though. and it came rather 'loosely' packed in a small deli cup with some substrate. Sure the poor little fella was tossed around while shipping...

Where are some good reputable places you've gotten your Ts?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
(and by another I mean Another....)
I've got about 4 on my list I want to get.

B. albopilosum
M. Balfouri
P. Metallica
and GBB.

There is so much drama on YouTube from popular breeders, especially for the P Metallica. all bashing each other saying each other are cheats etc.

I've seen prices going all over the place, especially for the M Balfouri.

The only online dealer I've used is BackWater Reptiles. I got a OBT from them.
Don't particularly like to eat that 40.00 shipping cost though. and it came rather 'loosely' packed in a all deli cup with some substrate. Sure the poor little fella was tossed around while shipping...

Where are some good reputable places you've gotten your Ts?
your best sellers are going to be - petcenterusa.com- swiftsinverts-ken the buggy...there are a lot of good sellers on here also in the forsale section

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Check out Backwater reviews before you buy anything else from them.

Don't know your experience level, but Albopilosum is a good beginner species. Balfouri and GBB are more intermediate, and P metallica is for advanced/experienced collectors.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't get a pokie unless you really think you are ready. They are very fast and very skittish with a bad bite. I also would not buy from Backwater if I were you. Like poec said, read their reviews or watch their youtube video reviews. You should order from someone who really knows what they are doing (swiftsinverts and Kenthebugguy).

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Check out Backwater reviews before you buy anything else from them.

Don't know your experience level, but Albopilosum is a good beginner species. Balfouri and GBB are more intermediate, and P metallica is for advanced/experienced collectors.
I'm not saying your wrong but I think gbb is a pretty good choice for a newb..great appetites,easy substrate and and ventilation reguirements .. Am I missing something about this species care that requires an above average knowledge of t husbandry to keep them succesfuly? I have only raised 2 from slings and did so on a low to med moist sub with moderate amount of vent holes in the deli a piece of bark for them to to hide under or attach web..they burrowed exclusively till 3/4in and then started an above ground silk retreat. At 11/2 in I moved them to dry sub and kept everything else the same..

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't get a pokie unless you really think you are ready. They are very fast and very skittish with a bad bite. I also would not buy from Backwater if I were you. Like poec said, read their reviews or watch their youtube video reviews. You should order from someone who really knows what they are doing (swiftsinverts and Kenthebugguy).
It's not just someone thinking they're ready, but actually having the experience and skill to back it up. We love to see people work their way up in stages. There's no extra points for jumping in the deep end. Some of those end badly.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I've never bought online but Ive hear good things about kenthebugguy and swifts and quite the opposite about backwater. Expos arent too bad to buy from if the seller is reputable. I've gotten most of mine from my LPS. There's a section for reviews and one for classifieds on AB as well, which will probably be helpful. Think twice before you buy a pokie and then think a little harder. Like poec said, b albo is a good beginner. Not only are the others intermediate and above but from what I've seen, they are on the more expensive end of the spectrum (if price matters).

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not saying your wrong but I think gbb is a pretty good choice for a newb..great appetites,easy substrate and and ventilation reguirements ..
It's not the easy husbandry that makes them intermediates, their speed can be a bit overwhelming for a beginner.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
its not just there demeanor that should deter a newb from getting a p.metallica its also the price..a 100 dollar dead sling because of lack of experience will sting just as bad as a bite from one these guys. Metallica is extremely photo sensitive my ornata scrunches up when I turn on the light my metallica freaks out and has run out of its enclosure looking for a place to hide..unless your experienced at catching fast ts that will seek out the darkest most snug area of your t room then metallica should be last on your list.

---------- Post added 11-28-2014 at 05:05 PM ----------

It's not the easy husbandry that makes them intermediates, their speed can be a bit overwhelming for a beginner.
ya ya that could be a problem for some I didn't think about that.mine are pretty nervous but never throw threats or anything and neither rush the cage much when I open it. I did have one a few years ago that did. I would open the cage he would run out an inch a or two away and then run back in. He would do this a few times get bored I'm assuming and then settle on the web with a look and posture I can only equate to as...so bro are you gunna feed me or what..he was a wicked cool spider.

cold blood

Staff member
Forget those big dealers if you want the most t for your $ and shop the classifieds. If I would have had to buy from those guys I'd have less than half the t's I currently have.

Backwater is a joke, consider yourself lucky that you had a positive experience, I wouldn't continue to test that one though.;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Forget those big dealers if you want the most t for your $ and shop the classifieds. If I would have had to buy from those guys I'd have less than half the t's I currently have.

Backwater is a joke, consider yourself lucky that you had a positive experience, I wouldn't continue to test that one though.;)
I kind of agree but I can't completely. I usualy won't order from the big guys unless I'm spending a few hundred you get less spiders but the transactions and the packing are rock solid. I have ordered from smaller sellers and got great prices but communication and shipping were shaky.
I recieved a package from new mexico that was poorly packed I could hear the vials rattling together in the box and the included heat pack was a glovewarmer that was ice cold 10-12 hrs into its 3 day trip. I only paid $35 for 5ts tho and all are doing great so no harm done.
I recently ordered some ts from california ..I made payment at 11pm and all communication from the seller stopped until 1am the next night. The ts were supposed to ship on weds morn and no communication again until weds night and they hit the post just before 5. They were packed great minus the heating pack which was no where to be found..the temps here were low 40s! I only paid $50 for three ts that should of cost about $100 but it was stressful to all those involved.
I've ordered from Becker and swift and yes there more expensive but your mostly paying for piece of mind..packing and communication were flawless and like I said usually buy my more high dollar stuff from them so I always get cool freebs so I can't say the price isn't worth it.

cold blood

Staff member
I kind of agree but I can't completely. I usualy won't order from the big guys unless I'm spending a few hundred you get less spiders but the transactions and the packing are rock solid. I have ordered from smaller sellers and got great prices but communication and shipping were shaky.
I recieved a package from new mexico that was poorly packed I could hear the vials rattling together in the box and the included heat pack was a glovewarmer that was ice cold 10-12 hrs into its 3 day trip. I only paid $35 for 5ts tho and all are doing great so no harm done.
I recently ordered some ts from california ..I made payment at 11pm and all communication from the seller stopped until 1am the next night. The ts were supposed to ship on weds morn and no communication again until weds night and they hit the post just before 5. They were packed great minus the heating pack which was no where to be found..the temps here were low 40s! I only paid $50 for three ts that should of cost about $100 but it was stressful to all those involved.
I've ordered from Becker and swift and yes there more expensive but your mostly paying for piece of mind..packing and communication were flawless and like I said usually buy my more high dollar stuff from them so I always get cool freebs so I can't say the price isn't worth it.
That's exactly what the reviews are for. If packing or communication are lacking, it won't take a rocket scientist to be able to see it in those reviews as they are the biggest factors often mentioned by those leaving the reviews. I can honestly say I have never once gotten good communication from a big dealer...not once, in fact most would only converse through e-mail, which meant a 2 minute conversation took weeks. I say most...lol...I have had contact with 6 different dealers over just the past year and have YET to actually speak to someone. To the contrary, I have gotten excellent communication from EVERY single person I have ordered from in the classifieds, they were all much more willing to give me their numbers and have a REAL conversation, that to me is a huge plus. I had one order that while packed good, was not spectacular...every other order had the t's packed as good as they possibly could have been. There's a lot of breeders in the classifieds that do a very professional job from the beginning to the end of the transaction.

The exception for me to order from a big dealer is when they have something I just can't find elsewhere (and am not willing to wait). Now I certainly don't mean to sound like I am bashing the big dealers, they offer a valuable service...but I have not found their communication or packing to be any better than the smaller breeders IME.

The big dealers that have had past issues, like brown bagging specifically, are immediately discounted by me, no matter how many people love them. One of them was mentioned as one of your "best sellers". It always pays to do the research, no matter who you choose to order from.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Buy on the classifieds, IMO they have good deals. I will not buy probably until spring, but I will keep an eye out in-case I see something I want :):biggrin:. Get B. albopilosum & Vagans. 40.00 shipping cost isn't worth it too me unless the spider is rare, or adult female. $30 is more reasonable or priority if weather is good enough.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
Give Rock Star Pets a call in Toole but make sure you talk to someone who specializes in the inverts.