Substrate too wet, too dry or just strange cobalt shenanigans

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
My Haplopelma lividumall was hanging in the corner of the wall and she built herself a hammock of web

Not sure if its just normal stuff or if there is possibly something wrong with the substrate
Some facts she came in this enclosure and has been in it for awhile in a couple molts or maybe one big one ill be moving her into a deeper container as to have a good 5-7 inches of substrate for her to tunnel around in. she's about 3-4 inches only had her about a week.

IMG_1077.jpg

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
Oh and also the substrate got soaked in one corner when she dumped her old water dish over so prolly a 1/8 of the cage in one corner is soaked but drying. the rest is pretty dry as ive been waiting for tha tot dry up some before i do anything else

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Oh and also the substrate got soaked in one corner when she dumped her old water dish over so prolly a 1/8 of the cage in one corner is soaked but drying. the rest is pretty dry as ive been waiting for tha tot dry up some before i do anything else
I can't see much from that pic. Can you take one of the whole enclosure? What type of sub are you using and how big is the t? What are your temps and how do you heat it .haplopelmas don't like dry sub and it needs to be packed tight for them to want to start a burrow.

cold blood

Staff member
haplopelmas don't like dry sub and it needs to be packed tight for them to want to start a burrow.
True dat! The sub looks awfully dry for the species and it ill appreciate the deeper sub when it has it.

You say its been in this enclosure for "a couple molts or maybe one big one"...curious what's meant by that.

Best of luck with her Chad.

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
You say its been in this enclosure for "a couple molts or maybe one big one"...curious what's meant by that.
Got kind of jumbled there. I said it came in this enclosure it has been in it for awhile from my understanding. I plan on moving it to a NEW enclosure with 5-7 inches of substrate which i will be using a mix meant more for burrowers when i do this. Im not sure about the substrate it looks very dry to me i plan on misting it more once the spill from the water dish i explained previously dries some.

Ive always thought you were not supposed to artificially heat T's enclosures but it is a constant 75-76 in my living area.

I thought i had said it in my post but i got this T about a week ago

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Got kind of jumbled there. I said it came in this enclosure it has been in it for awhile from my understanding. I plan on moving it to a NEW enclosure with 5-7 inches of substrate which i will be using a mix meant more for burrowers when i do this. Im not sure about the substrate it looks very dry to me i plan on misting it more once the spill from the water dish i explained previously dries some.

Ive always thought you were not supposed to artificially heat T's enclosures but it is a constant 75-76 in my living area.

I thought i had said it in my post but i got this T about a week ago
your right as far as heating individual cages,space heaters are your best bet to heat the area the enclosures in.i asked that ? To see if maybe you had a heating pad on the bottom of the tank..that would surely cause your t to climb the glass.Haps will do OK at 75. I've only kept lividum and minax and I kept them in the low to mid 80s 70s is at the low end of there temp range. If its been in that enclosure for a few molts it should of established a burrow by now..somethings telling me that its not happy with its substrate..probably too dry and not deep enough but I can't tell from that pic.. If u have a hide in there bury it so the opening is half as deep as then spider is tall. That will usually cause them to dig under and start a burrow. If you don't have one add one.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
keep cages extra wet, not soggy though alternate wet spots like Poec said to keep molt down. space heaters dry cages a lot faster, or extra waterbowls burrowers will be fine though.
My room Is warm enough right now I am not using a Heater.

Last edited:

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
Meant to reply over the weekend just got super busy.

I ended up just going ahead and rehousing her. She is so much happier now...BUT i will say shes one fast son of a bitch.
Ended up with a dangerous T on the top of the lid of her old enclosure. She let me coax her into her knew enclosure fairly easy after the initial pissing match between her and my tweezer/transfer container.

Now its a much better substrate mix and she hasnt been on the wall as of yet.

Thanks for the help