Egyptian mantis care

Seal36

Arachnopeon
Hi guys

Could you tell me the requirement and things like that for the mantis. The things i want to know is how big do Egyptian mantises grow and how easy are there to care for. I have cared for orchid mantises, African lined, dead leaf and giant Asian mantises. Also would the Egyptian mantis be ok in a exo terra nano tank which is 20x20x30cm (wxdxh). If he is ok in that tank what substrate will he need and how should his tank look. What will he need to eat would crickets be ok for him and is £12 a good price for an Egyptian mantises.

Thanks for your help

Twentytwenty

Arachnosquire
From mantispets.com
"Native to Egypt. Another very easy species. The only problem we have noted is that they seem to have bacterial problems when over-misted. L1-L3 nymphs can be misted once a day & L4-adults can be misted every other day. Regular misting will tend to produce green individuals, while more infrequent misting will produce straw-colored individuals. For such a small mantis, they will take down very large prey, with adults feeding on blue bottle flies. They seem to prefer flying foods, but can be handfed small mealworms & will take crickets without hand-feeding. Ideal temps for this species is between 75-85 degrees, so placing their enclosure near an incandescent bulb or in a warmer area of the home will give them supplemental heat.
Miomantis paykullii can also reproduce parthogenically when no males are present, though, the nymphs coming from unmated ooths are usually smaller & weaker (and more difficult to rear to adulthood) than fertilized ooth nymphs. Nymphs from unmated ooths will all be female, since the female will have no male genes to pass on to her offspring. Sometimes unmated females will lay an infertile ooth the first time or two before giving up on the idea of being mated. These first ooths do not hatch parthogenically, but that DOES NOT MEAN THAT LATER OOTHS WILL NOT HATCH! Always treat Miomantis ooths as if they are fertile, either incubating them or destroying them (baggie in the freezer, rolling pin, trash.)
Egyptians are a longer-lived species, with adult females often lasting more than a year! (Parthogenically-produced individuals which reach maturity will not live as long as those who are the result of direct fertilization.)"
The 20x20x30 is more than enough for it. Something smaller is probably better so it can catch it food and hunt easier. A kritter keeper is probably best. A smaller nymph can stay in something like a deli cup for a while. Crickets are good food, but try to vary the diet. Small nymphs can eat D. melanogaster and D. hydei fruit flies. If it seems to be having trouble taking down prey use a smaller insect as a feeder.

Seal36

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much for the information and what is the biggest size mantis I could keep in the nano tank and I was going to feed a variety of food like locusts, crickets and mealworms and then in the summer catch flying insects. What are good species of mantis to care for that are active hunters and interesting to watch. I have had African lined, deadleaf, Congo green, orchid and Chinese mantis. Thanks again from Tom