Hatching crickets at 73F?

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
I'm planning on breeding some crickets and I was wondering if the eggs will hatch if it's only around 73F?

From what I gathered, the optimal temperature is at least 10F higher, but since I don't want a ton of them, I was wondering if I could simply leave them at room temperature without bothering to provide a heat source in their enclosure and still have pinheads of if I absolutely have to raise the temperature.

I'd be perfectly fine with less chance of success, I just want enough to feed about 40 tarantulas.

I've heard many people have them hatch in their pets enclosure, but I'm not sure what temperature they keep them and I've never had this happen to me in 12 years so it make me wonder.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm planning on breeding some crickets and I was wondering if the eggs will hatch if it's only around 73F?

From what I gathered, the optimal temperature is at least 10F higher, but since I don't want a ton of them, I was wondering if I could simply leave them at room temperature without bothering to provide a heat source in their enclosure and still have pinheads of if I absolutely have to raise the temperature.

I'd be perfectly fine with less chance of success, I just want enough to feed about 40 tarantulas.

I've heard many people have them hatch in their pets enclosure, but I'm not sure what temperature they keep them and I've never had this happen to me in 12 years so it make me wonder.
mid 70s is too low..just put a low wattage bulb on the cricket enclosure.once you hit mid 80s you should be in business.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Any idea what the minimum temp they can hatch at is, out of curiosity? I'm going to test it, but it will take some time.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Here's an update, I didn't expect it to work and let the substrate dry for my second batch(I heated a first one at 85C just to make sure I had some) and as I was about to clean the enclosure since I finished feeding all my adults, I noticed a ton of tiny crickets jumping around.

Normal temp in that room is around 73C, but it climbed 2-3 time for a 3-4 hours period at 78C when I had to close the door.

I'll try it again in a room with a more controlled temperature to see if they can hatch at such low temperature without heat spikes.