Removing bolus?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I was browsing around and saw that a lot of people don't remove usually remove boluses or are actively looking for them unless they're apparent.
Do you generally do this?

Also, what do you do with a species that needs higher humidity or moist sub? Won't mites appear or it start molding then? How do you take care of this problem?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
most ts will drop them right outside there hide along with molts and pieces of web or substrate they don't want in there burrow/hides.they do this because instinctualy they know that there waste will attract vermin and fungus...as for controlling mites and fungus - check for bolus the day after you feed and remove them. if you don't find any after 2or3 feedings look harder.the best thing for mold is good ventilation and a substrate mix that inhibits the growth.peat and sphagnum moss shredded up and mixed with coco fiber work well for your arboreals, for burrowers i would add in a 3rd of organic potting soil as it helps with the strengthening of the burrow.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Many of mine either drop their boluses in or near their water bowls, or pile them all in one corner.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
most put them where everyone elese said. i have a few who just eat it where it lies and leaves the bolus especially my lasis and psalms. [lazy abdomens!] but usually the others leave them near the hide or in/near their water bowls. one burries them a little against the glass and then poops on them -.-

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Then there some of my Avics, that dangle their bouses from a thread of silk, which I think is a lure for flying insects, which Avics love to eat.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I believe your right there poec. Pray insects are pretty currious.

Iv yet to think of why a T incorperates it into their webbing tho.. both gbbs and one lassi of mine like to web, they incorperate molts into it wich makes sense with u-hairs. But they will lay a nice mat of silk over partly eaten food poo and bolis.. not at the entrance. But anywhere it wants.. ifbits jowhere near the entrance and is halfway between T and water bowl (2.5-4x dls) does it still attract vermin in the wild o_O

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I believe your right there poec. Pray insects are pretty currious.

Iv yet to think of why a T incorperates it into their webbing tho.. both gbbs and one lassi of mine like to web, they incorperate molts into it wich makes sense with u-hairs. But they will lay a nice mat of silk over partly eaten food poo and bolis.. not at the entrance. But anywhere it wants.. ifbits jowhere near the entrance and is halfway between T and water bowl (2.5-4x dls) does it still attract vermin in the wild o_O
If they don't dispose of the boluses a distance from their retreat, then it will draw animals to the vicinity of the retreat that can smell it. Some of those will wind up being prey. Makes sense. They're ensuring that there are more boluses to add. The strategy depends on the native prey and predators. Some don't want boluses anywhere near their home, it may be too high a risk, or it may draw animals they have no interest in eating.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
If they don't dispose of the boluses a distance from their retreat, then it will draw animals to the vicinity of the retreat that can smell it. Some of those will wind up being prey. Makes sense. They're ensuring that there are more boluses to add. The strategy depends on the native prey and predators. Some don't want boluses anywhere near their home, it may be too high a risk, or it may draw animals they have no interest in eating.
Well that does make a ton of sense. but when the two personalities are in the same species, i suppose thats what made me overthink all that xD

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well that does make a ton of sense. but when the two personalities are in the same species, i suppose thats what made me overthink all that xD
They do have different personalities in the same species (and in more areas than bolus placement), which is evolution at work. One personality may have a survival advantage when their habitat changes. Habitats have changed radically many times over the millennium with continental drift, volcanoes, ice ages, asteroids, etc.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
They do have different personalities in the same species (and in more areas than bolus placement), which is evolution at work. One personality may have a survival advantage when their habitat changes. Habitats have changed radically many times over the millennium with continental drift, volcanoes, ice ages, asteroids, etc.
Touché. I suppose i was trying to see it as all Ts must fit the same mold and that was naive of me.. Always learning ^.^

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Touché. I suppose i was trying to see it as all Ts must fit the same mold and that was naive of me.. Always learning ^.^
They're a very successful family, been around before the dinosaurs, and there's species scattered all over the world today and a huge variety of climates and habitats. They prove that one-size-doesn't-fit-all.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
They're a very successful family, been around before the dinosaurs, and there's species scattered all over the world today and a huge variety of climates and habitats. They prove that one-size-doesn't-fit-all.
True i should have refrase that.. i ment i suppose i was trying to look at it as every species has its own mold,(ex: your a B. Boehmei you MUST kick hairs. And your a B. Smithi you MUST be docile.) but as u said they all have their own personalities. now that i think about it i was even dumber to think that because all 3 of my gbb are dif. Only thing they do similar is eat nonstop lol.. again my newbie-ness was showing ^.^

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Mine do all sorts of strange things. P irminia hangs them from her tree and thr LP builds a mass grave. Which now makes sense to me after reading this thread. But anyway, i check for mold under the water dishes evey time I do maintenance. I've had mold once. I throw the boluses (boli?) Out. Good ventilation and not letting a lot of water into compact sub thats underneath something. But i mean if fungal spores fall in the enclosure then you might get mold, nothing you can do besides clean the enclosure. I also turn the sub over every so often But that's just me.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
i was even dumber to think that because all 3 of my gbb are dif. Only thing they do similar is eat nonstop
It's not being 'dumb.' It's just learning to be observant of subtleties, whether similarities or differences. It's taken me years to notice some things.