Soldering tool for vent holes in containers

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That's what I use to make airholes for all my spider cages. For the most cages, I push the hot point all the way thru, and make holes in all 4 sides and the lid for cross ventilation.

For deli cups, the pointed tip lets you make some pretty small holes (or slashes) for small slings.

Turn on a fan so you're not breathing the fumes/smoke.

tisha

Arachnopeon
That's what I use too, but for really tiny sling I use a safety pin and a candle. ;)

Spinster

Arachnosquire
I use a chef's torch for heating. It stands on a table to free your hands. You can heat different tools for different sizes of holes. I use a small awl (tool used by leatherworkers to make holes). It has a wooden handle and the sharp, tapered blade is triangular in cross-section. This makes it easy to both burn and shape holes of different sizes. For very tiny holes I heat a safety pin or tiny nail.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's the one I use...works great for holes of all sizes. I try to use it in my garage, as the fumes are quite strong.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Soldering guns are hotter, and you'll get more smoke from them because of the burning plastic. They don't have the sharp tips of a soldering iron so you can only make big holes. There's really no reason to use a soldering gun. Soldering irons are pretty cheap and last a long time.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies everyone, I was going to go ahead and order this one on Amazon, but I happen to be at Walmart and found the same thing in the store for just $2 more. Between the cost of shipping and the time saved I went ahead and bought it. I've used it on a dozen enclosures already and it works perfectly. Oh, and make sure you use it outside, I don't care how will your ventilation or exhaust fan works, there's just too much smoke to do it indoors.