breeding question

chevyboy92

Arachnopeon
i'm fairly new to the hobby and have collected 10 species already, i'm going to try my luck at breeding my b.boehmei and i was wondering how long after mating should i expect an egg sac? i've been looking online and haven't found anything. any help would be appreciated!!

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
The last post in this topic lists 51 days until a sac. That sounds about right from what I've seen of others' reports. Sac times seem to vary from one month to several months, however. You can look through the other brachypelma reports to get a general idea. :)

cold blood

Staff member
i'm fairly new to the hobby and have collected 10 species already, i'm going to try my luck at breeding my b.boehmei and i was wondering how long after mating should i expect an egg sac? i've been looking online and haven't found anything. any help would be appreciated!!
Its not as much expecting a sac as hoping for a sac:) Times can vary.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
51 days? You can wait months, could be a year. Males don't necessarily mature on schedule in captivity because the there's few, if any natural triggers (temps, rain, day length, etc). They mature based on the temps and food we give them. We pair up males when they're fresh, but the captive females are on their own cycles. These don't always match up cleanly. Plus they're used to certain temps, rain, and foods post-mating while they're developing eggs. There's so many variables. And regardless of any reports, you probably can't replicate what one breeder does with his spiders, not that you have enough info to do that anyways.

I've never had a sac laid within 3 months of mating. The average is more like 5 to 9 months.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had two versi females drop a sac after two weeks after breeding! Both females were from different bloodines and different sizes. They were both super big healthy sacs. All of my sacs were made within the first three months after breeding. Most were about two months or less.

I've noticed the later a female is in a molt the sooner they will drop sacs. I think the further in a molt the more eggs a female will produce and the sooner she will drop after mating.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Its not as much expecting a sac as hoping for a sac:) Times can vary.
Yeah I tried breeding this species once, female never laid a sack. Male must have been too old.:cry: I wonder is a 10gallon way to big for a small 4.5" female N cromatus?

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
People are always saying how little space tarantulas need which to some extent is true but in the wild they aren't limited in space and they do just fine. As long as she isn't climbing the walls and falling or wandering endlessly I see no problem.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
People are always saying how little space tarantulas need which to some extent is true but in the wild they aren't limited in space and they do just fine. As long as she isn't climbing the walls and falling or wandering endlessly I see no problem.
My female Lp webbed all walls and wonders a lot in her 20gal long do u think 6" of subsstrate is too little? I haven't seen her fall even once though. She mostly just wonders at night though, this is normal for Ts they are nocturnal.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My female Lp webbed all walls and wonders a lot in her 20gal long do u think 6" of subsstrate is too little? I haven't seen her fall even once though. She mostly just wonders at night though, this is normal for Ts they are nocturnal.
It's not a matter of whether you see her fall, it's that the opportunity exists. All it takes is once. Being nocturnal, we don't see most of what they do. They have busy little lives that we sleep thru.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It's not a matter of whether you see her fall, it's that the opportunity exists. All it takes is once. Being nocturnal, we don't see most of what they do. They have busy little lives that we sleep thru.
Yeah I know I am planning on making its substrate deeper, Is it a bad idea to mix peat moss & Top soil? for Ts

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Your right, as long as all of the requirements for that genus/species are met, it really doesn't matter. It's just most of us choose not to because Ts don't need all that space. Also, bigger enclosures are generally more expensive and take up a lot of room.