G.rosea Climbing

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon
So I've been housing 1 G. rosea for about 8 months now who loves to climb. There are periods where the T hardly climbs but more recently they have been climbing up to the top and hanging upside, climbing across the top of the terrarium upside entirely or climbing on the decorative plants and trying to swing? It seems as if they're mistaken for an arboreal. :laugh: I am really concerned about falling/fatal injury though. I don't want a leg to get stuck in the lid of the terrarium particularly. I witnessed the T have a bit of trouble climbing down the walls after hanging upside down. And they immediately started grooming afterward with a few legs tucked underneath the body. I know it is not a substrate issue because I've had the same dry coco fiber substrate for the entirety of the 8 months and there have been weeks where stayed on the ground, hardly climbing. This is the first few times I've ever seen climbing along the lid upside down…. what should I do?

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
Is it a male? Could be cruisin' for chicks.

Sometimes my rose gets a "wild hair" and decides to climb, too. Just make sure the substrate is nice and high, and remove anything which could damage it in a fall. Use softer hide materials like cork bark only. Consider swapping your screen lid for an acrylic lid - you'll probably have to make one yourself, though.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Sometimes my rose gets a "wild hair" and decides to climb, too. Just make sure the substrate is nice and high, and remove anything which could damage it in a fall. Use softer hide materials like cork bark only. Consider swapping your screen lid for an acrylic lid - you'll probably have to make one yourself, though.
My female LP roams a lot I think she is looking for a escape path she bites Plexiglas ....still has not broke Lexan Plexiglas.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That critter really wants to be free range.
Yeah I would get her a bigger cage but 20gal long is best I got right now., LP are pretty active for how big they are.. She really does web her cage a lot... not as thick as GBB but thin layer everywere.

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon

Unsure of the sex. I have a 5.5 gal terrarium with the substrate filled halfway. Would a fall with that much space be dangerous? There's a ceramic decoration, some soft plants, a log hide, and a water dish. Nothing drastic. The current lid I have isn't mesh it's sort of a metal screening? Buy a sheet of acrylic and drill small holes in it, you mean?

Attachments

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like an okay enclosure. I don't think a fall would necessarily harm the rosea. However I am very against those screen type enclosure tops. I would try to change that ASAP if I were you. I have experenced grammostola species climbling just like this before, and they usually get bored with it soon. Take it as an interesting period in her development, nothing more.

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon
It looks like an okay enclosure. I don't think a fall would necessarily harm the rosea. However I am very against those screen type enclosure tops. I would try to change that ASAP if I were you. I have experenced grammostola species climbling just like this before, and they usually get bored with it soon. Take it as an interesting period in her development, nothing more.
I never gave it thought until Jude started fully climbing upside down on it o_O Do you suggest acrylic as well then? Or something else? I don't mind it just concerned for safety but HA it's been 8 months. apparently doesn't get bored quickly

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never gave it thought until Jude started fully climbing upside down on it o_O Do you suggest acrylic as well then? Or something else? I don't mind it just concerned for safety but HA it's been 8 months. apparently doesn't get bored quickly
I would suggest any solid surface that she can not escape from that isn't a metal mesh of some sort. Honestly, 8 months is a long time for her to be climbing constantly, and with a dry substrate.. Has she molted at all in that time? I bet you the next time she molts she will completely stop doing this. Spiders are weird. Being held captive doesn't help their strange habits either. Does she eat regularly?

GG80

Arachnoknight
What's the room temp like? My rosie was doing a lot of climbing at the start of the summer when the temps were rising. I was still heating the room so it was getting pretty hot inside at the time and she was constantly climbing to the top of the enclosure. When I stopped heating the room she stopped climbing and hasn't climbed since. It seems the room was too hot for her. Perhaps you're having the same issue.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I was going to say something similar to what GG80 said. Earlier in the spring/summer when the temps shot up my G. porteri was climbing a lot every night out of nowhere. These days it has leveled off for the most part (no pun intended) I still catch her roaming up the sides at night on occasion, but nothing like that "spell" she went through. Most of the time she's sitting in some part of the enclosure (ground level) doing nothing like a "normal" Porteri haha

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
I see the problem in your picture. Tarantulas do not like elephants!! You should know that. :) My Avics go to the top if the substrate is too wet. I've kept my porteri on dry to just damp and they seem to enjoy it. They move dirt almost like a GBB.

FaaFaa

Arachnopeon
You have gotten a lot of great advice. Here's my .02 :)

You have a great set-up. I see a nice water dish, a hide, and nice deep sub that isn't wet. You are doing great! Maybe your temps could be off, but if your comfortable then your Ts should be too. This is what I think. You have a rosie. That's it. Nothing else. Rosies are goofy and a little bipolar. :) It looks like your doing a great job, keep it up!

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Everything looks pretty good, but I would do 2 things. As said before, drill out an acrylic top, cut to fit. Then I would add a bit more sub. Space between sub and lid 1 1/2 times the T's diagonal leg span is ideal. And personally, a fake plant is good and all, but too many give prey items a place to hide. I use a maximum of 1 and only in my larger enclosures. Usually just a dish and a hide/burrow. This is for my terrestrials only. I like to give plenty of vines, plants, and décor for my arboreals to anchor to.

Damon

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On this subject I will say that this rosea freebie I've had for about a week is really strange. The other two slings just kind of sit there (a G pulchripes and A purpurea). But she is moving a lot, and has some odd behaviors.. She also is the only one that hasn't eaten yet, but that's probably fine cause she has a big butt. I like the personalities of roseas a lot :p

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon
What's the room temp like? My rosie was doing a lot of climbing at the start of the summer when the temps were rising. I was still heating the room so it was getting pretty hot inside at the time and she was constantly climbing to the top of the enclosure. When I stopped heating the room she stopped climbing and hasn't climbed since. It seems the room was too hot for her. Perhaps you're having the same issue.
Well it's nearly winter here in NY and quite chilly. I'm usually cold in the house at this time of year the temperature is typically somewhere in the 60's but you may be right upon further observation I have noticed whenever the heat goes on, the climbing begins particularly. The highest temp EVER is around 70…. so idk what to do about that. It's certainly not hot. it's a comfortable temp for me with the heat on

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 07:16 PM ----------

I would suggest any solid surface that she can not escape from that isn't a metal mesh of some sort. Honestly, 8 months is a long time for her to be climbing constantly, and with a dry substrate.. Has she molted at all in that time? I bet you the next time she molts she will completely stop doing this. Spiders are weird. Being held captive doesn't help their strange habits either. Does she eat regularly?
Has yet to molt in my care. Yes, seems to have a healthy appetite. I've never seen them turn down food. This rosea has other strange behaviors though (such as digging) so I can't say I'm surprised.

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 07:26 PM ----------

Everything looks pretty good, but I would do 2 things. As said before, drill out an acrylic top, cut to fit. Then I would add a bit more sub. Space between sub and lid 1 1/2 times the T's diagonal leg span is ideal. And personally, a fake plant is good and all, but too many give prey items a place to hide. I use a maximum of 1 and only in my larger enclosures. Usually just a dish and a hide/burrow. This is for my terrestrials only. I like to give plenty of vines, plants, and décor for my arboreals to anchor to.

Damon
Thanks. Sounds good. Few questions about the acrylic top though, how should I incorporate ventilation into that? how many holes spaced apart in what fashion? and couldn't a leg get stuck in a drilled hole if climbed upon? How would it be different than the screen in that way?

Last edited:

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
Thanks. Sounds good. Few questions about the acrylic top though, how should I incorporate ventilation into that? how many holes spaced apart in what fashion? and couldn't a leg get stuck in a drilled hole if climbed upon? How would it be different than the screen in that way?
Measure flush with your aquarium lid, then have a local plastic shop cut a piece to fit. (You could probably order online from Tap Plastics too.) You can then drill holes through with a dremel or other tool. I can't give you specific advice on how to drill through plastic (as my gf did it for me), but I know you have to start with a small bit and work up to larger bits to avoid cracking the plastic.

Here are photos of my custom lid. Since then I've learned that model glue is utter poop and I have to affix the handle and the hinges with screws for real security, and upgrade to an aquarium silicon glue for attaching the base piece.

Even though it's been work, it's pretty fun and surprisingly easy to plan and accomplish. I just need to finish finals so I can actually work on it. :)