i really dislike LPS's even more now

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
i called a LPS today that i have been to before and bought my B. smithi at. anyways while on the phone with them they told me they had two 4-5" female cobalt blues and that they were for sale for $75. i said "thats cool", "do you still have the molt, so that i can take a look at it before i buy it?" and the guy replied saying that they didnt sex it by the molt because they only had them for 2 weeks now and that they are female because of how brightly colored blue they were. -_- if it was possible i would have slapped him through the phone! anyways i hung up after he said that and will never be returning to that store again. EVER. they are really going to piss somebody of one day when they sell it as a female and it ends up a male. LPS employees are truly ignorant people!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I once talked to someone a a LPS he said they quit keeping scorps because they keep them alive for only a week or so.
$75 for a cobalt blue is pretty pricey when they got no molt to guarantee sex.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't have hung up on him, I would have at least tried to explain it to him. If he didn't want to listen...then I would hang up.

cold blood

Staff member
People have been buying males sold as females since the dawn of t's in the LPS. Its up to the buyer in the end. Truth is that most that buy from the LPS are not people really into the hobby, and they often never realize it, either because they never intend to breed or because they can't identify the male molt...they either assume its lived its life out or that they did something wrong to kill the thing...we see threads of this sort all too often. Hasn't put a damper on their sales yet.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My LPS had a GBB for sale. 1/2 inch sling, this was when the prices were around $45, the price they wanted.....$100. Yeah right....

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
People have been buying males sold as females since the dawn of t's in the LPS. Its up to the buyer in the end. Truth is that most that but from the LPS are not people really into the hobby, and they often never realize it, either because they never intend to breed or because they can't identify the male molt...they either assume its lived its life out or that they did something wrong to kill the thing...we see threads of this sort all too often. Hasn't put a damper on their sales yet.
no and probably won't since most "seasoned" hobbyists steer clear of LPS purchases because of the fact that there really is no way of knowing where the spider came from, WC or CB.. age, last time it molted, sex if it's big enough, in a lot of cases, even the species is often in question. That leaves the people new to the hobby or who purchase their first spider from the LPS not knowing how to go about selecting one, checking for health etc etc. I bet 90 percent of people that purchase a spider from the LPS don't even really know what they're looking at, and 99 percent of the LPS employees know even less.

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
i called a LPS today that i have been to before and bought my B. smithi at. anyways while on the phone with them they told me they had two 4-5" female cobalt blues and that they were for sale for $75. i said "thats cool", "do you still have the molt, so that i can take a look at it before i buy it?" and the guy replied saying that they didnt sex it by the molt because they only had them for 2 weeks now and that they are female because of how brightly colored blue they were. -_- if it was possible i would have slapped him through the phone! anyways i hung up after he said that and will never be returning to that store again. EVER. they are really going to piss somebody of one day when they sell it as a female and it ends up a male. LPS employees are truly ignorant people!
Ignorant people are everywhere :)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My LPS had a GBB for sale. 1/2 inch sling, this was when the prices were around $45, the price they wanted.....$100. Yeah right....
Yeah thats why I got both my B smithi online , A LPS wanted $70 for a unsexed 2" sling.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The main reason these stores bug me so much (no pun intended) is because of the way they care for the spiders. First, they use brightly lit fluorescent lights to show them off. Often the Ts are curling in the corner, obviously hating their condition. Thankfully I have only seen roseas and avics at these places. However, they keep avics as a terrestrial species which really bugs me. They also use those horrible water gel sponge things. No matter how many times I've tried to tell them how wrong this is, it will never change. That is a corporate matter, from a company that obviously doesn't care about the well being of these animals. But, prices are generally okay at the ones I visit. They had roseas for 10 bucks on black Friday, that were about 3 inches. Still, won't ever buy a T from an LPS again.

The only redeeming quality of these stores is that it attributes for a very good number of new hobbyists, which is good for all of us.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
The biggest thing about an LPS that irritates me to hell is that the employees has NO experience with Ts, these employees with no experience needs to clean out these Ts cages, feed them etc. All while they are AFRAID of the spiders. When I got my Psalmopoeus sp. Hybrid (yes at an LPS!!!!), she would throw a threat posture if I just touched the enclosure or open the lid.. makes me think because of them being afraid, some of those spiders gets hurt accidentally in the cleaning/maintenance process. My hybrid has settled in quite nicely, still aggressive when something is moving in her enclosure, but she has calmed down a lot since I got her. Also another thing is that I got a hybrid female Psalmopoeus sp. from an LPS, and the fact that they sell Ts such as poecilotheria sp. I saw a boy of approximately 11 years of age walk out the LPS I got my hybrid from, with a poecilotheria regalis. That was just crazy, and IMO Ts such as poecilotheria should be in the hands of breeders only, or LPS that has employees with a lot of T experience. The Ts are kept in horrible conditions with super super wet sub, the sub is not even 1" deep at most, I saw a B. Vagans in a tall enclosure with so little floor space enough for the poor thing to just turn around on the spot, and not enough sub to burrow in, then I saw a P. Ornata in a enclosure with a lot of floor space with just fake plants, nothing to climb on, no cork bark, nothing.

Last edited:

je2000

Arachnopeon
Im lucky to have a local store with a T expert. Helped me a lot with my first T a wild caught A hentzi

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Im lucky to have a local store with a T expert. Helped me a lot with my first T a wild caught A hentzi
the one I got both my T's from is not worth it, I only know one LPS that has a T expert, the owners of that LPS are the ones in the shop helping the customers, and the one owner helped me a lot with my Ts, but it's in another town, the local one here is MAD. But yes you do get a FEW LPS with T experts, but only a FEW lol.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
Our small town LPS is awesome! They have several T's available, all in appropriate environments, and are knowledgable about all of them. (I bought my Psalmo sp. 'Machala' there.)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The biggest thing about an LPS that irritates me to hell is that the employees has NO experience with Ts, these employees with no experience needs to clean out these Ts cages, feed them etc. All while they are AFRAID of the spiders. When I got my Psalmopoeus sp. Hybrid (yes at an LPS!!!!), she would throw a threat posture if I just touched the enclosure or open the lid.. makes me think because of them being afraid, some of those spiders gets hurt accidentally in the cleaning/maintenance process. My hybrid has settled in quite nicely, still aggressive when something is moving in her enclosure, but she has calmed down a lot since I got her. Also another thing is that I got a hybrid female Psalmopoeus sp. from an LPS, and the fact that they sell Ts such as poecilotheria sp. I saw a boy of approximately 11 years of age walk out the LPS I got my hybrid from, with a poecilotheria regalis. That was just crazy, and IMO Ts such as poecilotheria should be in the hands of breeders only, or LPS that has employees with a lot of T experience. The Ts are kept in horrible conditions with super super wet sub, the sub is not even 1" deep at most, I saw a B. Vagans in a tall enclosure with so little floor space enough for the poor thing to just turn around on the spot, and not enough sub to burrow in, then I saw a P. Ornata in a enclosure with a lot of floor space with just fake plants, nothing to climb on, no cork bark, nothing.
Selling A poecilotheria regalis to kids this young itself, is not a good idea. They would no way have the expereince to be ready for one , venom itself is quote painfull parents could try to ban Ts. If kid gets bit , not good for the hobby.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Selling A poecilotheria regalis to kids this young itself, is not a good idea. They would no way have the expereince to be ready for one , venom itself is quote painfull parents could try to ban Ts. If kid gets bit , not good for the hobby.
My point exactly, when I saw the boy with the poeci I told the parents that they should reconsider, take it back and choose something more suitable, gave them examples of what Ts are suitable and told them why poeci are a bad idea for beginners and children especially. The T was aprox a 3" Juvie. So yes, not good.

cold blood

Staff member
My point exactly, when I saw the boy with the poeci I told the parents that they should reconsider, take it back and choose something more suitable, gave them examples of what Ts are suitable and told them why poeci are a bad idea for beginners and children especially. The T was aprox a 3" Juvie. So yes, not good.
Did the parents listen to you and respond accordingly?

Sana

Arachnoprince
Yikes on the part of the parents. I tend to do a lot of research about anything that comes into our house. I doubt that any young child is able to maintain a pet without the help of a parent and I don't want to be messing with something I'm not ready for, no matter how much my child wants it.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Some of us LPS employees work very hard to provide proper information for tarantula species and keep the the way they should be despite there mangers coorporate wishes. Just saying there are a few LPS workers not trying to light there own farts....