Webbing behavior (A diversipes)

IvanATP

Arachnopeon
This is my second T so I am pretty new to the hobby. Back when I had my avic in a sling sized enclosure I started noticing its webbing was extremely dirty, covered in substrate and what not. At first I figured it was my recklessness when feeding and that when I would flip the top of the enclosure to drop a roach in some substrate would simply fall onto the web and accumulate over time. Today when I was observing my avic change corners (has become too big for it's previous corner) I watched it grab substrate and "pack" it into the web as it made its funnel. Is this normal behavior? Here's a video of it happening and a picture of the web in progress. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E004evXp-rI My guess is, if this is normal, it does this to camouflage it's home.

Attachments

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Yes, it is quite normal. My OBT has built a complete cave of web covered in substrate and many of my slings have begun to do similar.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Its what they do. They make whole walls made by webb and dirt. Dirts isolates and makes it stronger!

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I have had many Avics along with diversipes in that set-up and to avoid that, I only put a fake plant cut down to size (trust me that's all they need) at the very top. Not till they get too big for their enclosure do they really start throwing up dirt in those upside down containers. I have never had to break a web using those upside down containers. There is nothing wrong with your set-up, I just don't see the point of the upside down container when set-up that way.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had many Avics along with diversipes in that set-up and to avoid that, I only put a fake plant cut down to size (trust me that's all they need) at the very top. Not till they get too big for their enclosure do they really start throwing up dirt in those upside down containers. I have never had to break a web using those upside down containers. There is nothing wrong with your set-up, I just don't see the point of the upside down container when set-up that way.
CEC is correct, I have observed the same thing with my Avics. In fact 2 of them need rehouses and they are the only ones with webbing at the floor of their inverted amac boxs.

IvanATP

Arachnopeon
CEC is correct, I have observed the same thing with my Avics. In fact 2 of them need rehouses and they are the only ones with webbing at the floor of their inverted amac boxs.
Would you guys mind showing me a picture of your set up for them? If I can better its living conditions, why not do it?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Examples here, my Minatrix picture is in the Avic pic thread, you'll have to find it. It shows her drinking in the same box as these, but inverted.

Attachments

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
My diversipes set up

Closed
image.jpg

Open
image.jpg

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
Examples here, my Minatrix picture is in the Avic pic thread, you'll have to find it. It shows her drinking in the same box as these, but inverted.
How did you get such clean drill holes as seen in the last pic of post #9???
They look great, mine always end up mangled sort of and i can never get the "slag" or little plastic residue pieces completely gone.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How did you get such clean drill holes as seen in the last pic of post #9???
They look great, mine always end up mangled sort of and i can never get the "slag" or little plastic residue pieces completely gone.
3 steps

1. Practice
2. I used a corded power drill in a drill press stand
3. I drill slowly, Dremels spin too fast causing the plastic to melt., afterwards if there's any left over I quickly file it off. If it's drilled at the right speed, there won't be any left over in the hole.

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 07:46 PM ----------

My diversipes set up

Closed
View attachment 132433

Now that's pretty interesting. I thought some of mine had a spartan home haha. This is different, on my inverted setups I hotglue a piece of corkbark and put it in vertical, top to bottom, or at an angle.

Your set up has a lot more space. Hmm, I thought if I had set mine up like that, they would feel too insecure, perhaps not. The reason I give them slanted or cork poles in the inverted setup is so they have a "ramp" to get food at times, but more importantly so they can hang out and have a nice walk to the water bowl. This is interesting CEC.

Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
There is cross ventilation, nine holes on each of the two sides and four on top, one of the top holes is being used to hold the plant, you can see it if you look closely. In the beginning I used to drill every side, but it was not needed and it would dry out much faster. If I drilled smaller holes, I might add them to each side.

Chris, whatever works for you. This works best for me.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is cross ventilation, nine holes on each of the two sides and four on top, one of the top holes is being used to hold the plant, you can see it if you look closely. In the beginning I used to drill every side, but it was not needed and it would dry out much faster. If I drilled smaller holes, I might add them to each side.

Chris, whatever works for you. This works best for me.
Yep of course. Curious, do you see yours come down often? Obviously they can walk on walls hah, and don't need me to extend things downwards. I was looking at your setup as another way to make something more simple maybe. Interesting that you reduced the number of holes. I almost did only two sides, but didn't risk it. The pattern I used in those pics, is on all 4 sides. I primarily do all 4 sides on the top for 2 reasons, ventilation, and the ability to use my syringe to apply water for drinking after molting, as I never know where they will do it. They don't always go to their water bowls for drinking after a molt, at least I haven't observed it.

Interesting design, the reason I like your more spartan conditions is because it allows one to add a cricket w/tongs with more space. In my setup, once they add in their webbing, I'm limited in where/how I can add a cricket. In the inverted setups, I don't add a cricket to the bottom lid.

With your design, there would be more freedom to add food. Might try it.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
They really only come down if they are hungry or thirsty. If they're out or have their legs hanging out of the tube web entry way, I know it's feeding time. Try it out, you may like it more, who knows?