Neutralizing urticating hairs?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
This is probably a pretty stupid thing to ponder, but I was wondering if there might not be something that would neutralize urticating hairs if applied immediately after contact. There are topical solutions like cortisone creams and medications like Benadryl, but those are to relieve the symptoms, not prevent them. So I got to thinking "Would there be any chemical, something mild, that might soften them or dissolve them, that would not harm the skin?" How would they hold up under something acidic, like vinegar, for example? From some of the accounts I've read, washing with water has limited effects, I'm guessing because the force of the water rinsing the skin could just drive hairs into the skin as it washed others away.
I'm also a little uneducated about the mechanics of the hairs. Are they so tiny that merely landing on the skin allows them to get into pores? or do they lay there and the slightest movement or touch presses them into the skin?

I thought the notion was probably too dumb to even mention but then thought "Hey, if you ARE onto something, you'd become known for being the father of the cure for urticating hair itchiness!" ;)

I'm accepting sign-ups for test subjects. because for all I know, vinegar might make your skin sting even more, and I'm not THAT excited about becoming the father of the cure of urticating hair itchiness. So I'd be more than happy to share the title. :D

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why try to neutralize the effects as they happen when you could go straight up preventative? If somebody developed urticating hair allergy shots I'd be interested!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Part of it's mechanical, the hairs are barbed. You can't neutralize that. If you're bothered by urticating hairs:

- don't hold, pester, prod, fold, spindle, mutilate, or otherwise annoy your NW terrestrials
- when they do start kicking, put the lid on and come back later
- be aware that they will kick hairs around their cage as part of their defense system, including on molting beds
- don't blow or sneeze near the spider or it's cage
- if 'haired', use sealing/masking tape to remove them
- shift your focus to Psalmos, Taps, and OW's

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Part of it's mechanical, the hairs are barbed. You can't neutralize that. If you're bothered by urticating hairs:

- don't hold, pester, prod, fold, spindle, mutilate, or otherwise annoy your NW terrestrials
- when they do start kicking, put the lid on and come back later
- be aware that they will kick hairs around their cage as part of their defense system, including on molting beds
- don't blow or sneeze near the spider or it's cage
- shift your focus to Psalmos, Taps, and OW's
+1
Yeah golden rule of T keeping wish I knee about that when I was a noob. Now I am alergic to Urt hairs.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1
Yeah golden rule of T keeping wish I knee about that when I was a noob. Now I am alergic to Urt hairs.
It sneaks up on you. I've heard many beginners boast about being immune to hairs. Ha! Just wait. They didn't bother us at first either. Over time you build up a sensitivity to them. After decades, I'm finally sensitive to Avic hairs, which I never thought was possible. My wrists will itch for a couple days after I work with Avics, even though I never see them kick hairs. they probably have them all over their silk, for defense. It works.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It sneaks up on you. I've heard many beginners boast about being immune to hairs. Ha! Just wait. They didn't bother us at first either. Over time you build up a sensitivity to them. After decades, I'm finally sensitive to Avic hairs, which I never thought was possible. My wrists will itch for a couple days after I work with Avics, even though I never see them kick hairs. they probably have them all over their silk, for defense. It works.
+1 so many noobs, like me when I started aren't allergic to hairs.
Nhandu coloratovillosus hairs I was alergic to once it reached 5" , ever seen I need to use tongs to do maintenance. These things I bet are near or stronger than Theraphosa hairs, So painfull.

I owned Nhandu coloratovillosus since a sling, she is breed-able but Id rather not get haired by a MM.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It was kind of the mechanical issue I had in mind. I wondered if they were doused in something (which I don't even know exists or not) to make them softer and more pliable, if they would be less likely to stick in you after you were haired. Once they are embedded, there would be no actions to be taken apart from the ones that are used normally. I DID say it was probably a stupid thought, remember!:D

My fantasy remedy would have been to mist the exposed area with Dr. Benzedrine's Miracle Anti-Urti Solution, wait five minutes and rinse. :D

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It was kind of the mechanical issue I had in mind. I wondered if they were doused in something (which I don't even know exists or not) to make them softer and more pliable, if they would be less likely to stick in you after you were haired. Once they are embedded, there would be no actions to be taken apart from the ones that are used normally. I DID say it was probably a stupid thought, remember!:D

My fantasy remedy would have been to mist the exposed area with Dr. Benzedrine's Miracle Anti-Urti Solution, wait five minutes and rinse. :D
Anti itch pouder & tape for hairs is the best I can find, I am alergic to these hairs. I am the possom dying of urticating hairs.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Possums don't die from getting haired, but as I think I mentioned before elsewhere, we do get the vapours. :D

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Rinsing with water has worked fairly well for me actually. I immediately rinse my hands and arms with cold water after any dealing with my NWs. Outside of the occasional sore bump, it works just fine for me. The only way I can see it making it worse is if you're sitting there scrubbing or rubbing your hands together.

Bill Myers

Arachnopeon

Just curious, has anyone ever tried using a wax strip hair removal system?

Sana

Arachnoprince
I haven't been haired yet so I haven't discovered the irritation but I had a bad idea. Try Nair. It dissolves hair. I would rather not break my lovely record and volunteer as a test subject, but I'll let you know if it happens.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
but I had a bad idea. Try Nair. It dissolves hair.
If you put on nair, stay away from your spiders for a while. You don't want any chemicals or fumes near them. That's why tape is a better idea. Don't they have tape where you live?

Sana

Arachnoprince
I guess I'll have to check the store again... What aisle would that be? :)

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I would have to say with great certainty that coconut oil will help. I put it on splinters, pieces of sheet metal stuck in my skin from work, and all kinds of foreign objects in and under the skin and the coconut oil seems to bring them to the surface very rapidly. I'm not sure the science behind it, but believe me, I have been using it like that for years. A bristle isn't much more than a barbed splinter, I would think. I keep it around, but have yet needed it for urticating hairs.

Damon

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
I'd rather tape my skin with quick lifts, repeat then powder the area with cornstarch or baby powder

Or tape then oil the part so your skin softens up and makes scrubbing it off easier

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Hmm. The coconut oil idea seems interesting. i looked up its use online, and one page listing 35 uses for coconut had this at #3: "Put on a small amount of CCO and cover with a bandage. The oil soaks in and the wood pops out overnight.

So I could see where DamonVikki's suggestion could possibly have merit.

I also saw that clove oil will perform a similar function.

Nair is an interesting proposition as well, though f it would be effective, a person might have to choose between being itchy and looking like they had mange from the bald spots they might have as a result. :D

tape seems to be a tried and true method recommended by folks. I have wondered if pressing down on the tape might serve to drive some hairs further in, while removing others. During my extensive scientific research :D, I did note that it is cautioned to "Be careful when rubbing the tape in, as this may lodge the shard farther inside the skin, inflicting pain. Which falls in line with my thoughts.

I don't recall if it has been mentioned, but soaking an affected area in an epson salt solution is also indicated as being usefull to remove fiberglass. the Epsom Salt Council (Sheesh, there is a council for everything!) recommends to cups of salts per gallon of water.

I saw baby powder suggested as a prophylactic method of preventing fiberglass from sticking to you in the first place, pplus it is supposed to close up pores.

The difference in all of this of course that fiberglass and splinters don't have barbs designed to create a problem and remain lodged.

What we need is a volunteer to whom we can send our genic, blondi, brachy, etc, moults to and they can roll naked in them and then try the assorted remedies on different affected areas and provide results.

C'mon! Somebody think of the gratitude they would receive from folks that had been forced to give up their NWs!;)

Sana

Arachnoprince
Assuming that any of the possible suggestions work better than tape...