What is the best food that you can give to your cricket's ??

Doris54

Arachnopeon
So guy's what is the best food to give to your cricket's so your T can grow healthy and eat cricket's without having any problems in the future? I give mines lettuce, carrot's and some times litlle slices of apple... I searched on web and found out that you can give them cat/dog food ? Is it good ? Also should i buy some oatmeal ? I'm having some kinda problem's because when i was searching i found various ways to feed them and ones say's somethings goodothers not, so hope you guy's can recommend me the best food, thank's a lot... (my chilean rose is eating like a monster :biggrin:)

Sana

Arachnoprince
I feed mine crushed cat food and vegetables. I avoid fruits as I've heard that they draw in flies.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I use romaine lettuce, carrots, potatoes and potato peels, sweet potatoes, and Purina earth worm dry food (which is what a local reptile feeds their crickets, which they've been breeding for 20 years to feed to their herps).

Doris54

Arachnopeon
Hmm... Earth worm food? Where do you get it?
Yeah i was just about to ask him the same thing, maybe on the Pet Shop they sell ?! In some day's i have to visit the Pet Shop to buy somethingss and i will ask for that to see if they got. . .

P.S: Soo, you just give oatmeal to cricket's if you got bearded dragons ?

cold blood

Staff member
I feed dog food, and the little buggers like it more than the "good stuff". I also use potato, sweet potato, lettuce, carrots and oatmeal.

Try not to completely give in to your roseas appetite. Their food requirement is quite low and are easily over-fed. 1-3 large crickets a month (1 at a time) is plenty unless its a sling, they'll grow fat even on this seemingly meager schedule.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Pretty much any dry animal food with protein in them + a water source(I use water crystal myself) will do the trick usually.

I feed mine an old roach food recipe I got from somewhere I can't remember: 2 cup cheerios, 1 cup oat, 1/4 cup fish flakes, 1 cup chick feed and 1/2 cup dog food(which I replaced with more chick feed recently since I can't get small enough quantities of the stuff for my needs before it goes bad) all blended together and it worked very well for years.

It's probably way too complicated for nothing though.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Hmm... Earth worm food? Where do you get it?
From a local feed store. They don't keep it in stock, but order when the reptile dealer and I need a few bags. The bags are around 40 lbs, so they last a long time. Between that and the veggies (which provide all their water needs) the crickets make pretty nutritious feeders.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Well if you're asking for the best, you could start with filet mignon, lobster, and some caviar on the side. :biggrin:

Doris54

Arachnopeon
Well if you're asking for the best, you could start with filet mignon, lobster, and some caviar on the side. :biggrin:
Ahahah best answer so far but who knows maybe they will like that, no? xD Thank's a lot for the help guys tomorrow i go to the supermarket to buy somethings for them, since im gonna try to breed the crickets now on :D

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
For breeding purposes put them on some eco earth and keep around half of it somewhat moist so the females will say eggs. Without a moist place to lay eggs they will not reproduce.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
For breeding purposes put them on some eco earth and keep around half of it somewhat moist so the females will say eggs. Without a moist place to lay eggs they will not reproduce.
And moist substrate will quickly kill adult crickets. You need to use shallow trays for moist substrate for egg laying, and take them out and put them in a separate container. Also best to put screen over the substrate in the trays so it doesn't get scattered. Even better to also only have females in the egg laying container. All the males are going to do is root around and eat the eggs.

Crickets are best kept in dry plastic storage boxes, that readily lend themselves to cleaning. I put dry paper towels on the bottom of mine.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I plant a tank with grass seed and toss the crickets in. Throw a grow light over the top and mist occasionally and it works great. I leave one side unplanted so I can catch them easier. The misting waters the grass and the crickets at the same time and other than that, it's pretty hands off.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
When I kept them I used a mix of ground up dog biscuits/goldfish flakes and a dish of bug gel for fluids, I don't bother with fruit/veg (others swear by it but I just find that it's unnecessary hassle)... I've been breeding red runners for about 6 months now and they're on the same diet.