Turning spare bathroom into T and dubia home - heating ideas?

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a spare bathroom tucked away I can use.

Most of my slings are in large tubs with heating added by heating pads wrapped around plastic jars. I want to move some of my larger tarantulas into the bathroom and keep my roach colony in there as well. What kind of heating can I add that can heat the entire bathroom without causing a huge electric bill -- or, do I still have to heat each container individually?

Thanks for the help!

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
You wrap heat pads around your sling containers? If this is what you meant than this is a terrible idea. No offense. They could quickly overheat.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^^+1. If youre using pads around their containers, you need to imminently remove them.
I have a spare bedroom as well for all mine and use a simple space heater to keep the room at a stable 80 degrees. If you use a space heater, you'll need to mist/water your T's more, as this will dry the heck out of the air.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No, not a heating pad around their containers. I take a mason jar, wrap a heating pad around it, and place it in the middle of a 10 gallon large container with holes. I use a thermometer to measure the heat of the container. Not sure where I read about this. It only elevates the temp of the inside of the container about 10 degrees. The slings are in deli cups and non are up against the heating element and non have died inside and all have been growing faster. I do mist the sides of their deli cups a little more often.

When they reach juvie size they come out of this tub and onto a shelf.

I just wish my juvies and sub adults could stay in the bathroom if it were a little warmer.

I have mentioned in previous posts that I live in So Cal. We have warm springs, summers and falls. But winters we can get cool (believe it or not) and the problem is that our houses are horribly insulated. That's just the way that it is. It's the way the houses were built. So the house does not warm up and stay warm. So the bathroom is cool. I want to keep that roach colony warm. I can solve that with heating in the colony, but would love to just get that whole bathroom warmer and have all my tarantulas in there that are not slings.

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 03:54 PM ----------

^^+1. If youre using pads around their containers, you need to imminently remove them.
I have a spare bedroom as well for all mine and use a simple space heater to keep the room at a stable 80 degrees. If you use a space heater, you'll need to mist/water your T's more, as this will dry the heck out of the air.

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 03:55 PM ----------

Do you run your space heater 24/7 and is that expensive? Can I ask what brand?