Tricks to see pet holes

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Hey everyone! When you have T's that are pet holes, you could try to manipulate the enclosure. For example you give them a transparant hide, or you put something in the middle of the enclosure in the substrate that the T only can burrow to the edges and we can see him. I know you must accept that it are pet holes but it would be nice to see them more often. Has anyone good ideas or has already tried things?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hey everyone! When you have T's that are pet holes, you could try to manipulate the enclosure. For example you give them a transparant hide, or you put something in the middle of the enclosure in the substrate that the T only can burrow to the edges and we can see him. I know you must accept that it are pet holes but it would be nice to see them more often. Has anyone good ideas or has already tried things?
Hope it burrows on the side of cage, and flip cage that direction... My KB I only see at nighttime or morning above its burrow. Its not in a 10gallon though so I can hardly see it , when it gets bigger ill give it a 10-20G. I am not sure if its male or female, but it should have hooked out at 4.5"-5" it is getting big slowly. King baboon is a awsome pet hole, IMO.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Set up a night-time tank-side vigil with a red light and a glass of wine :)

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Next rehouse, start a burrow on thr side for them. Maybe encourage them to hunt and put the prey on the opposite side of the burrow if there's no where for the prey to hide.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Haha :) my p irminia webbed a dirt curtain near the edges, so i can clearly see her. But my two OBT's are sitting in their hide that is sealed with dirt and webbing :s i tried to get themt out by puttin the prey further but they grab it and go immediatly back in the hide, as usual :) although you dont see them a lot, when you get to see them its always sooo amazing and surprising :)

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Next rehouse, start a burrow on thr side for them. Maybe encourage them to hunt and put the prey on the opposite side of the burrow if there's no where for the prey to hide.
+1 esp for opportunistic burrowers, start their burrow for them and they seem to respond. Works great for emperor scorpions (P. imperator) ime. :)

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
+1 esp for opportunistic burrowers, start their burrow for them and they seem to respond. Works great for emperor scorpions (P. imperator) ime. :)
worked for my e murinus who actually doesn't burrow. Just sits in the pre started burrow. Couldn't tell ya why.

cold blood

Staff member
This solution is beyond simple. Just place a large rock or wood in the center of the tank, then fill with sub. This forces the t to burrow along the sides, where it can be seen.

Even without doing that, they will eventually stop at one of the sides (usually), then you just turn the enclosure to that side.

awiec

Arachnoprince
This solution is beyond simple. Just place a large rock or wood in the center of the tank, then fill with sub. This forces the t to burrow along the sides, where it can be seen.

Even without doing that, they will eventually stop at one of the sides (usually), then you just turn the enclosure to that side.
This is the best natural solution. I've been fortunate that all of my burrowers have burrowed along the sides, but I've also provided starter burrows there to encourage them. As long as you are not constantly flashing a flashlight at them, then they will keep their burrow there. Granted if they choose to burrow where I couldn't see them, I'd be okay, I want what is best for them, not my viewing pleasure.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
This is the best natural solution. I've been fortunate that all of my burrowers have burrowed along the sides, but I've also provided starter burrows there to encourage them. As long as you are not constantly flashing a flashlight at them, then they will keep their burrow there. Granted if they choose to burrow where I couldn't see them, I'd be okay, I want what is best for them, not my viewing pleasure.
Thats what i did whit the rock in the center :) and the T's are abviously more important than the view, but its always great when you can see them!!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Thats what i did whit the rock in the center :) and the T's are abviously more important than the view, but its always great when you can see them!!
Yeah Obligate burrowers can die from the stress if they aren't housed correctly(I heard). They do not feel safe, its like would you feel safe in a warzone in the middle of a battle? Tanks coming from both sides... Thats wilderness for you.

If they do not burrow that's there call, but give them the chance.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've come to accept that I just won't see some of my tarantulas all that often, especially during the day time. Even when they burrow next to the enclosure walls the visibility usually isn't very good. When I do seem them out and about it's a rare treat.

The most difficult trick of all is being patient (story of my life).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yeah Obligate burrowers can die from the stress if they aren't housed correctly(I heard).

Yes, but several inches of substrate work for just about any burrower, and that lets you still see them. They don't need to be able to dig to China.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Another option would be to provide a tall, slim enclosure (the sort one might use for arboreals) filled three quarters of the way with substrate. I did this with my H. gigas slings and they created intricate tunnel systems. They built the majority of their tunnels next to the walls of their enclosures - this allowed me to see them just about any time I wanted to so long as I didn't shine a flashlight on them directly.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Another option would be to provide a tall, slim enclosure (the sort one might use for arboreals) filled three quarters of the way with substrate. I did this with my H. gigas slings and they created intricate tunnel systems. They built the majority of their tunnels next to the walls of their enclosures - this allowed me to see them just about any time I wanted to so long as I didn't shine a flashlight on them directly.
+1 I did this with king baboon before it outgrew pretzel jar.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah Obligate burrowers can die from the stress if they aren't housed correctly(I heard). They do not feel safe, its like would you feel safe in a warzone in the middle of a battle? Tanks coming from both sides... Thats wilderness for you.

If they do not burrow that's there call, but give them the chance.
I received a C.darlingi in a sterlite cage that did not allow for burrowing but she had a half log hide she used for hiding. After I got her (I wanted to plump her up before moving her) she decided to web off the log hid and now just sits out in the open. I took the opportunity to observe how not being able to burrow would affect her. From my almost year long observation I can not see any distress from her, whenever I open the cage she goes and sits in a corner until I'm done and then comes back out to her spot again. She eats and drinks with no problems and is a pretty laid back spider. Of course I do not advocate people to not allow their spiders to burrow, all of my burrowers are provided with what they need to make a nice hole to live in. After talking to the seller, it appears she has been in this container for a very long time so she may be used to her conditions and not think anything of it. I plan on rehousing her in January and I'm sure I will never see her once she decides to dig but I had fun observing her this year in her shallow container.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
We all agree that the health of the T comes at the first place!! And when we can see the T we are lucky, if we dont, we need to accept that and not replace things in the enclosure or rehouse them for better view!! But im sure that every T holder who has a little empathie for the T's will do so!!

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's too much mushy-feely nonsense in this thread.

The animals you keep are all captive-bred: they were produced specifically so that people could enjoy them. They were not taken from the wild, and have no bearing on the well-being of the species out in nature. If a keeper wants to maintain a burrower (or other type of T) in a setup that replicates their natural environment, that is fine. If a keeper, however, wants to see their H. lividum a bit more than, *coughalmostnevercough*, and so gives only an opportunistic hide, that is also fine.

Keepers have no moral obligation to give tarantulas a nature-like enclosure. The animals exist for our pleasure--they would never have been born if tarantula keepers weren't a market for captive-bred T's. These are not wild animals produced by wild populations, thus, their very existence is because of US-- you and me. If what gives me pleasure is raising my T's only to barbecue them on the 4th of July, there is nothing wrong with that--they are mine, and exist purely for me. (I don't do that, btw.) Our animals have nothing to do with the future of tarantulas in nature.

Stop trying to peer-pressure each other into keeping tarantulas one way or another. Tree-hugging foolery is only relevant to wild-caught animals. Our T's are captive-born, and are for personal enjoyment. However you and I enjoy keeping them is what they exist for.

You sound like a bunch of PETA goons.