Heterophrynus batesii

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here are a couple shots of my adult batesii and the new vivarium that they will be going into in about a month. The full tank construction will be detailed in an article in invertebrate magazine.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Everything is beautiful. The whip scorpion is just stunning! The enclosure looks amazing! I WILL own one of these one day. I have one question, how big does the enclosure need to be?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That enclosure is insane! Can't wait until I get some batesii of my own and can give them fun and fancy setups :) Awesome enclosure and awesome whip! Good luck with the babies!

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Everything is beautiful. The whip scorpion is just stunning! The enclosure looks amazing! I WILL own one of these one day. I have one question, how big does the enclosure need to be?
Thank you very much. The enclosure is larger than it needs to be for them. This tank is 36"x18"x36". You can easily get away with a 10-20 gallon tank for them.

---------- Post added 12-12-2014 at 08:56 PM ----------

That enclosure is insane! Can't wait until I get some batesii of my own and can give them fun and fancy setups :) Awesome enclosure and awesome whip! Good luck with the babies!
Thank you. They are very remarkable. I have two females with eggs at the moment, so we will see how many are produced.

---------- Post added 12-12-2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

Are these guys communal?
Yes they are communal. I have kept them together without any aggression.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, that is smaller than I thought (I like that).....yeah....I am getting these!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you hit on some babies. I would love to get some of these amazing whips. Goodluck :)

numbat1000

Arachnosquire
An amazing enclosure for an amazing species! I just aquired my first amblipigid, a Damon Diadema. She's beautiful, but she has nothing on those stunning batesii's. Good luck with breeding!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is one of the best vivs I've seen in a long time, one of the best for an invert.

Are you a dart frog owner?

What misting system are you using?

What did you use for lighting?

I'd love to see pics of the build!!

Ambly

Arachnobaron
Dartarific indeed. Post again when it has grown in.

Great pics of the 'pygi's. Let us know how successful it is in the long run - mostly regarding molts and stuff, as that is generally the limiting factor in enclosures.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Great setup! Better than some zoo enclosures I've seen. With your knack, you should create a communal setup for some H. incei gold. :D

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is one of the best vivs I've seen in a long time, one of the best for an invert.

Are you a dart frog owner?

What misting system are you using?

What did you use for lighting?

I'd love to see pics of the build!!
Thank you very much. I am not a dart frog owner.
A couple of my friends are. I have doing tanks like this for years and have found tremendous success with breeding inverts in them. Plus they are fun to build and look very nice. The misting system is an exoterra monsoon Rs400 system. The lighting is 4 17W jungle dawn LED bulbs and a led strip for night viewing. I will post more photos soon.

---------- Post added 12-20-2014 at 08:48 AM ----------

Dartarific indeed. Post again when it has grown in.

Great pics of the 'pygi's. Let us know how successful it is in the long run - mostly regarding molts and stuff, as that is generally the limiting factor in enclosures.
Thank you. I will keep everyone up to date. I have had great success with animals in these type of terrariums over the years.

---------- Post added 12-20-2014 at 08:51 AM ----------

Great setup! Better than some zoo enclosures I've seen. With your knack, you should create a communal setup for some H. incei gold. :D
Thanks, I have done it before with incei. They tend to kill all the vegetation with their webbing. These tanks do work very well with arboreals though which tend to web less.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you very much. I am not a dart frog owner.
A couple of my friends are. I have doing tanks like this for years and have found tremendous success with breeding inverts in them. Plus they are fun to build and look very nice. The misting system is an exoterra monsoon Rs400 system. The lighting is 4 17W jungle dawn LED bulbs and a led strip for night viewing. I will post more photos soon.

It's a gorgeous setup. I'd love to see how it was actually made, as I've always wanted to make something like that, but figured I'd start off smaller than yours, maybe 8x8x12 or 18x18x24. I am not familiar with everything that needs to be taken into consideration (minus making a drainage layer). I've seen some European setups as they are very much into living jungles.

I'm definitely not familiar w/the right plants, proper lighting etc. I've seen those LED bulbs, good to know they work.

I take it the night viewing was just a regular blue LED strip found online etc, as opposed to something from the pet industry? I saw someone use some nice LED strip lighting for the night, blue, but he didn't mention where the lights came from.

I'm thinking of adding a LED blue light for my small ExoTerra Nano Talls for my Avics.

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Y'all need to let this thread die! Every time it gets bumped I click it and see the pictures of the H. batesii and it just makes me want them more! These amazing pictures and beautiful enclosure, it is like y'all are trying to make me go broke! :)

Last edited:

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's a gorgeous setup. I'd love to see how it was actually made, as I've always wanted to make something like that, but figured I'd start off smaller than yours, maybe 8x8x12 or 18x18x24. I am not familiar with everything that needs to be taken into consideration (minus making a drainage layer). I've seen some European setups as they are very much into living jungles.

I'm definitely not familiar w/the right plants, proper lighting etc. I've seen those LED bulbs, good to know they work.

I take it the night viewing was just a regular blue LED strip found online etc, as opposed to something from the pet industry? I saw someone use some nice LED strip lighting for the night, blue, but he didn't mention where the lights came from.

I'm thinking of adding a LED blue light for my small ExoTerra Nano Talls for my Avics.
Thanks again. They are not that difficult to make. They can be time consuming but that is about it. I will be putting together a full article that describes the full process. The LEDs are just your typical led strip, nothing special.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks again. They are not that difficult to make. They can be time consuming but that is about it. I will be putting together a full article that describes the full process. The LEDs are just your typical led strip, nothing special.

Thanks again. I look forward to that article. Great photos below!