Isopod Obsessed! (Pic Heavy)

watertiger21

Arachnopeon
So... I've developed quite an obsession with isopods. They're such fascinating critters and super easy to keep! Anyway, I was surfing the net the other day and I thought I'd share some of the awesome species I came across:

The spiky yellow woodlouse (Pseudolaureola atlantica) is a species that only lives on St. Helena.
Pseudolaureola atlantica.jpg

Hemilepistus reaumuri is a species that lives in "the driest habitat conquered by any species of crustacean" (the deserts of Middle East).
Hemilepistus reaumuri.jpg

Porcellio expansus is a cool species found in Spain.
Porcellio expansus.jpg

Porcellio werneri is black and white. Dunno why, but I've always had a soft spot for b&w animals!
Porcellio werneri.jpg

Last edited:

watertiger21

Arachnopeon
Porcellio silvestri is a cool orange and black species that I believe is also found in Spain?
Porcellio silvestri.jpg

Porcellio spinipes... I am sooooo in love with this species! I'm super jealous they're not in the US!!
Porcellio spinipes.jpg

Porcellio haasi is cool:
Porcellio haasi.jpg

Porcellio magnificus is a natural bright red color.
Porcellio magnificus.jpg

Proporcellio vulcanius has a neat pattern.
Proporcellio vulcanius.jpg

watertiger21

Arachnopeon
Then there's this species... I haven't been able to track down the species name or where it comes from... A thread on another forum thought it might be in Spain, but I also found a photo of it on a Japanese web page about isopod identification (but it never mentions anything about this isopod, whose photo is the header image of the page). Anyone know anything about it?

unidentified isopod.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
WOW those are amazing, I keep ts but I need to get ISO's someday to keep molt down & as pets. OFC I want something affordable.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Oh that first one!
I'm stunned by the variety in shape and color that these guys have! The marine species are very diverse, but I had no idea there were so many forms on land.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope some of these striking species make their way into the hobby someday. I only keep half a dozen species or so, and they are all fun, but these are amazing!