Poecilotheria - German Books

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have two excellent books on Poecilotheria, both in German (you think we're passionate about Poecs?). I've started using Google Translate and will share info here in periodic posts to this thread.

The books are:
Ornament-Vogelspinnen, Die Gattung Poecilotheria, by Henrik Krehenwinkel, 2008, 192 pages, ISNB 3-936180-27-X.

Die Indische Ornament-Vodelspinnen, by Boris Striffler, 2006, 61 pages, ISNB 978-3-937285-81-8.

Species & elevations:
India
sea level to 500 m - hanuma, miranda, striata
500-800 m - formosa, tigrina
500-1,000 m - metallica, regalis
500-1,500 m - rufilata

Sri Lanka
sea level to 200 m - fasciata
sea level to 500 m - vittata
500-800 m - ornata
800-2,000 m - smithi, subfusca

note: these books were written before rajaei was described for Sri Lanka

Sana

Arachnoprince
Wow! That's dedication. This should be an interesting thread to follow.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Climates:

- Winter rainy season, summer dry
North Sri Lanka, Southern India

fasciata, hanuma (in dry zone)

- Summer rainy season (may-sept), dry winter
dry season can be shortened by autumn rains, annual rainfall varies widely depending on area of climate zone
Dominant climate in India

formosa, hanuma, metallica, miranda, striata, tigrina, rufilata (in humid zones), regalis

- Two rainy periods in summer, one in winter
overall dry climate
Southeast Sri Lanka

fasciata, vittata (in dry areas)

- Humid, rainy climate most of year
dry season in February
SW India, Central and SW Sri Lanka

smithi, ornata (warm areas), rufilata, subfusca (cool areas)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Climates:

- Winter rainy season, summer dry
North Sri Lanka, Southern India

fasciata, hanuma (in dry zone)

- Summer rainy season (may-sept), dry winter
dry season can be shortened by autumn rains, annual rainfall varies widely depending on area of climate zone
Dominant climate in India

formosa, hanuma, metallica, miranda, striata, tigrina, rufilata (in humid zones), regalis

- Two rainy periods in summer, one in winter
overall dry climate
Southeast Sri Lanka

fasciata, vittata (in dry areas)

- Humid, rainy climate most of year
dry season in February
SW India, Central and SW Sri Lanka

smithi, ornata (warm areas), rufilata, subfusca (cool areas)
Can you get these books in english?I love pokies and hope this genus is bred more in USA, NONE OF my Pokie males got bred. Maybe I should 50/50 loan them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No, that's why I'm translating them in pieces and sharing it with the forum.
Great, Germans have always been most advanced country You know wee stole jets from them.

Last edited:

Prrum16

Arachnopeon
Poec54 I think you should right a book your very knowledgeable on the tarantula subject.

FaaFaa

Arachnopeon
This is going to be an interesting thread to watch unfold!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Keeping Poecilotheria in Groups -

1) Recommended from sling to over one year in age:
miranda, rufilata, & subfusca

2) Recommended for up to one year old:
fasciata, regalis*, rufilata, striata, tigrina, & vittata

3) Only recommended up to 6 months old:
formosa, metallica, regalis, striata

4) Not recommended after 1st instar:
metallica** & ornata***

* regalis - 10% potential loss rate after one year old.
** metallica - some keepers have positive experiences, others report that sibling slings have eaten each other.
*** ornata - begin cannibalizing at 2nd instar.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Agreed, a couple of the best books on them actually.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Thank you for taking the time to translate this information and share it with us. For clarification if you have the answer, is the recommendation for miranda, rufilata, and subfusca in groups from sling to more than one year meant as not more than two years or does it imply a lifetime group?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for this Poec. I wish I could read German!

Great, Germans have always been most advanced country You know wee stole jets from them.

Most advanced, that's not accurately written at all. In what time period are you basing your statement?? how do you define most advanced? If you are going by technology, I need to remind you ONLY 1 country has put men on the moon, the USA.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Most advanced, that's not accurately written at all. In what time period are you basing your statement?? how do you define most advanced? If you are going by technology, I need to remind you ONLY 1 country has put men on the moon, the USA.
The US space program was assisted by German rocket scientists. Check out Werner von Braun and his work with NASA. You patriotism is admirable, but misplaced. In all of the animals and plants I've been interested in, the world leaders in those fields always had a disproportionately high number of Germans. They know science.

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 11:16 PM ----------

Thank you for taking the time to translate this information and share it with us. For clarification if you have the answer, is the recommendation for miranda, rufilata, and subfusca in groups from sling to more than one year meant as not more than two years or does it imply a lifetime group?
'More than a year' meaning indefinitely. The others don't have good long term track records. There was a post in the last couple weeks from a member whose group cages of Poecs, who had been together 3 to 4 years, had started fighting and killing each other.

Kelly Swift is an example of somone who lost half a sac of metallica slings (when prices were still very high); half killed the other half.

Poecilotheria are not 'communal.' Most have some degree of tolerance for each other, but they look out for their own bests interests, not the groups, and can turn on each other.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The US space program was assisted by German rocket scientists. We made big advances with their post-war help in rockets and jets.

Indeed it was! The USA made tons of advances, almost all w/the help of immigrants at one time or another from rockets to D/C current (Tesla, only the entire world owes him). Regardless, it's the USA that landed men on the moon, no matter who contributed. It's the USA w/the most Nobel Prizes in the sciences collectively.

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
Science is a collaborative enterprise. While I'm proud of my country and the many great minds born and raised here, the history of science has always crossed national lines. I'm hopeless at languages other than English, so I'm grateful for this chance to read otherwise inaccessible work. :)

Sana

Arachnoprince
So the book is saying that it is more possible to keep miranda, rufilata, and subfusca in groups, but not necessarily recommending it?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Indeed it was! The USA made tons of advances, almost all w/the help of immigrants at one time or another from rockets to D/C current (Tesla, only the entire world owes him). Regardless, it's the USA that landed men on the moon, no matter who contributed. It's the USA w/the most Nobel Prizes in the sciences collectively.
That's most likely a myth. There are a lot of controversial stuff around those landings.