P.rufilata bacterial infection?

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey guys ,

I was just about to feed one of my two juvenile P.rufilata's, and I have noticed this on her's/he's abdomen , he/she is refusing food but it's very active, running around like crazy.
Does anyone have any idea what may cause this? Any chances of survival? Also Do you think it's a male?

This is the other one which is healthy and eating btw, and looks to be a female..

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
About 3 weeks ago , and he already ate about 2-3 times .

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have seen something like that before on poecs after a molt,its like there is a weak spot on the abdomen and hemolymph seeps through but it usually scabs over and is noticabel right away.how long ago did you notice that?are there any rough/sharp objects in its enclosure? Did you leave any crickets in her enclosure for a long time? Have you seen any small fly's in your house or enclosures?

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I noticed it few hours ago when trying to feed him , there are no sharp objects in the tank , but yes the last cricket was inside for 2 days. No fly's either. But as I said , he already ate his post molt meal, so he was not refusing food from the beginning after he molted.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have seen crickets munch on ts feet never the abdomen...carrion flies would be more likely to cause that type of damage in that area I would imagine..that looks like a festering sore..its pretty bad..I would move it away from the rest of your collection as suggested by aracnosmack..Its such a deep wound that I'm afraid trying to seal it with cornstarch may not be possible...I would leave it for a day and see if it starts to heal on its own.

---------- Post added 12-14-2014 at 09:37 PM ----------

Is it still bleeding or does it seem to be under control? If its not losing a lot of fluid just leave it..if it is sprinkle a little cornstarch on the wound..

---------- Post added 12-14-2014 at 09:42 PM ----------

If the cricket was in there for two days then he refused at least one meal.. That could definitely be the cause although its hard for me to imagine that the t wouldn't have felt it chewing on him and rubbed the cricket off or something..

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have seen crickets munch on ts feet never the abdomen...carrion flies would be more likely to cause that type of damage in that area I would imagine..that looks like a festering sore..its pretty bad..I would move it away from the rest of your collection as suggested by aracnosmack..Its such a deep wound that I'm afraid trying to seal it with cornstarch may not be possible...I would leave it for a day and see if it starts to heal on its own.

---------- Post added 12-14-2014 at 09:37 PM ----------

Is it still bleeding or does it seem to be under control? If its not losing a lot of fluid just leave it..if it is sprinkle a little cornstarch on the wound..

---------- Post added 12-14-2014 at 09:42 PM ----------

If the cricket was in there for two days then he refused at least one meal.. That could definitely be the cause although its hard for me to imagine that the t wouldn't have felt it chewing on him and rubbed the cricket off or something..
Thanks for the advice, I currently separated him from the others.
It doesn't seem to be bleeding constantly , it looks pretty stable. Maybe the cricket really is the answer, but I was questioning myself the same thing that T would probably felt the biting.. oh well, I guess we'll just wait & see what happens ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
what are the chances that was caused by one of the other Ts?
I didn't know they were being housed communally... And I was just looking at the pic again and it looks like there is damage to the last leg on that side..possibly a mark from the second fang..invenomation would explain the festering nature of the wound on the abdomen..deffinately a possibility.

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No, no .. it's not communal setup! 1 tank 1 spider ! Maybe you did not understand properly as I wrote down ''I was just about to feed one of my two juvenile P.rufilata's'' .. I got 2 but they are not kept together :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It looks like a problem from molting. Sometimes the old exoskeleton doesn't come off cleanly. It's not a disease nor anything contagious. It should heal with it's next molt.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's what I thought originally and then I saw the post about you separating it and misunderstood.. So it was either a molting problem or the cricket..

---------- Post added 12-14-2014 at 11:34 PM ----------

It looks like a problem from molting. Sometimes the old exoskeleton doesn't come off cleanly. It's not a disease nor anything contagious. It should heal with it's next molt.
I've seen similar lesions like this with freshley molted pokies,never any of mine luckily..what would your guess be that causes this? I don't see humidity being the number one cause because the exo is sealed and they only lose minute amounts of water through there book lungs and mouth parts..if the t is well fed and offered a water dish it should be well hydrated..if there is nothing it could of poked itself on(no pun intended) or scraped against then it has to be a developmental problem between the old exo and the new...like I said I have seen this on poecs some what a lot..6-7 times and once on an a.anax that I owned...I have a theory but I don't want to share it right now for fear of bashing lol. If your theory is ludacris and nonsensical maybe I will post mine.lol!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Right, I've seen it once in a while after a shed, and always on the abdomen. Maybe the old skin dried a little too fast and stuck on, or maybe it was a defect in the exoskeleton to begin with, where it didn't form properly.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Right, I've seen it once in a while after a shed, and always on the abdomen. Maybe the old skin dried a little too fast and stuck on, or maybe it was a defect in the exoskeleton to begin with, where it didn't form properly.
so my theory is kinda off the wall but here it goes..its no secret that when a t has been in premolt for a while the keeper can mist the tank or wet the sub to try to induce the molt..so I'm thinking maybe when the ts are in late stages of premolt and the humidity is raised maybe the ts go into molt a little early..I know this is a long shot..but I have observed many of my pokes molt simultaneously after a heavy misting of the cage..I recently had five pokes molt in the same night after misting heavily..3 of them showed no signs of premolt and ate the day before(which is not all that unusual but)..2vitatta sa F,1ornata aF,1striata 2in unsexed and 1regalis4in F.... It just seems strange to me that this happens to pokes more than any other ts ime..and its always on the dorsal side of the t toward the pedical. Who knows its just a theory..

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
so my theory is kinda off the wall but here it goes..its no secret that when a t has been in premolt for a while the keeper can mist the tank or wet the sub to try to induce the molt..so I'm thinking maybe when the ts are in late stages of premolt and the humidity is raised maybe the ts go into molt a little early..I know this is a long shot.
You're right, 'long shot'. I never mist mine when they're premolt, and molt injuries have happened a few times to my spiders. It's just a molt problem, and a minor one. I've had them unable to get their legs out of the old exoskeleton. It's a vey stressful time, a lot of things have to come together and work properly, and a lot of things can go wrong.

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wound update.. here's what it looks like now. Actually it looks a lot better if you compare the first pictures. He's still alive and active , but still not eating since then.

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Update:

He's no longer refusing food! And the wound looks perfectly fine :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
It's good that you updated, it allows others to see that wounds can heal and not freak out about it. Hopefully his next molt should get him totally healed up.