P. Regalis or P. Ornata (identification needed)

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Hi Guys

About 2 weeks ago i bought a P. Regalis but i have a feeling it might be a P. Ornata here is a picture, sorry for the glare i will try and get a better picture tonight:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Definitely not ornata. Check out some pics online.

At that size, it'll have a belly band if it's regalis (there are a number of species that look similar to regalis dorsally, like striata).

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Definitely not ornata. Check out some pics online.

At that size, it'll have a belly band if it's regalis (there are a number of species that look similar to regalis dorsally, like striata).
+1 but I will also add that I think its regalis...and its a female..lucky bugger!

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
I really hope its a female i will try and get a better picture tonight. She is my first poke and she molted a day or 2 ago. So that photo was kind of the first time i actually saw her, i was completely blown away by the beauty.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It will be easier to tell the species if there are pictures of the underside also =) However seen as your T just moulted recently do not disturb it in an attempt to get them, be patient =) Looks to be about 3-4" to me, so wait another 5 days at least before attempting to feed, only take the underside shots before then if the T gives you the opportunity, disturbing it now could result in injury

I also agree it is not ornata but I'm not sure if it regalis or something else entirely. Poec will know what it is once you get the extra pics =)

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
awesome thanx, she peaked out at me last night and that is when i quickly grabbed a photo and then she ran back in her hole. Gonne give her a bit of time to come out so i can grab a snapshot

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
I didn't know you could setup the regalis in communal setup. They are amazing

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I didn't know you could setup the regalis in communal setup
They aren't 'communal.' That implies things that don't apply to Poecilotheria. They are used to sharing retreats in the wild, and have varying degrees of tolerance for each other; they also kill each other. Check out my thread 'Poecilotheria - German Books' for what the experts say about keeping the 13 species in group cages.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
with all the risks of keeping pokes communal,what is the benefit? I'm not bashing you for it I'm just curious.
I don't take it as a bashing,but asking what benefit you'd need to ask everyone that has done it. Maybe the fact that some says it can't be and others it can,to see why some go psycho and some don't. They've not been together months,but years not one time has there been one wanting to kill the other. These aren't just statements,but fact they are all still together not fictitious at all. I can not give you specifics,but mine are doing well and not once have I said nor implied it should be done. That is what makes the hobby great,we all have different views with these and many others. According to the books or other hobbyists,my communal setup should have failed by now will see what the future holds.

http://www.tarantulaforum.com/index.php?threads/1755/

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to think like Poec but after watching a few M. balfouri videos I am truly convinced there is at least one communal species. There is a difference between simply tolerating each other versus using teamwork to build dens and hunt prey. Not to mention sharing each food item between all of them.

When keepers have successfully set up a group of tarantulas together and have had no problems for many years, I think it's safe to say that some species are communal to a degree. If they were only tolerant I imagine one spider getting weary of being tolerant and hog some food for himself.

It's well established that MOST species should never be kept together, apart from sacmates early on.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
I have looked at the thread Poecilotheria-German books,there is nothing said about P.Regalis of 4 years and over. Nor is there anything said of P.metallica after 1st instar ? My P.Metallica have been put together from 5cm DLS,not one bit of cannibalism molted same area etc still a young communal setup of a few months. The Regalis molting same area,been together as mentioned above so will have to see what time holds in store.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have looked at the thread Poecilotheria-German books,there is nothing said about P.Regalis of 4 years and over. Nor is there anything said of P.metallica after 1st instar ? My P.Metallica have been put together from 5cm DLS,not one bit of cannibalism molted same area etc still a young communal setup of a few months. The Regalis molting same area,been together as mentioned above so will have to see what time holds in store.

That'd be a hell of a financial loss if something went wrong with that metallica communal. Just seems WAY too risky to me.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That'd be a hell of a financial loss if something went wrong with that metallica communal. Just seems WAY too risky to me.
Yeah must have deep pockets, I thought only M balfori was communal, not pokies. Prices a lot cheaper in europe were dealers do not Sell Ts at full retail price.:photogenic: They are smart over there with there guild's. I kept/caught true spiders, 5-8 yrs before Ts they kill and eat each-other, so Id rather not have that happen to my Ts.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
Hello
It is risky,I won't deny that otherwise I'd be arrogant. I am also honest,so if it goes south I will gladly share my experience.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 08:42 AM ----------

Yeah must have deep pockets, I thought only M balfori was communal, not pokies. Prices a lot cheaper in europe were dealers do not Sell Ts at full retail price.[emoji14]hotogenic: They are smart over there with there guild's. I kept/caught true spiders, 5-8 yrs before Ts they kill and eat each-other, so Id rather not have that happen to my Ts.
Hello
Never stated they were communal,the setup is communal. Will have to see what happens,and some risk for others to observe which aren't willing to risk it. It has been done before, most will say no others yes so time will tell.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I used to think like Poec but after watching a few M. balfouri videos I am truly convinced there is at least one communal species.

When keepers have successfully set up a group of tarantulas together and have had no problems for many years, I think it's safe to say that some species are communal to a degree. If they were only tolerant I imagine one spider getting weary of being tolerant and hog some food for himself.
Metallica have both good reputations in group cages, and terrible reputations for cannibalism, definitely not 'communal' with that track record. Kept together, group dynamics come into play and some individuals do hog food. Poecs in group cages will take on large prey, and more of it, and not share. Whereas they may take a cricket up to lets say a half inch in size when in a cage by themselves, in a group cage that same size spider may be seen with a ridiculous wad of 5 crickets that size, hogging food. I have regalis hatched out from this summer in groups in deli cups, some are over 3" now (the food hogs) and some are less than half that size (the ones who were intimidated). The size differences are not all sex linked, it's who eats the most, and who gets shoved aside at the dinner table. I've had to move them around to get them with siblings that are similar in size.

There's also issues of them molting at different times from each other. Do you put crickets in when there's simultaneously large skinny and hungry spiders sharing a cage with smaller ones in premolt? The crickets may eat the smaller spiders, but then, their bigger siblings may consider it too if they get hungry enough. With Poecs, almost all of their stored food reserves go into growth, and they often come out of molts with tiny, shrunken abdomens.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 06:24 AM ----------

I have looked at the thread Poecilotheria-German books,there is nothing said about P.Regalis of 4 years and over. Nor is there anything said of P.metallica after 1st instar ?
One of the books I referenced in my concurrent thread references both species for group behavior. Check it out.

Last edited:

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
Metallica have both good reputations in group cages, and terrible reputations for cannibalism, definitely not 'communal' with that track record. Kept together, group dynamics come into play and some individuals do hog food. Poecs in group cages will take on large prey, and more of it, and not share. Whereas they may take a cricket up to lets say a half inch in size when in a cage by themselves, in a group cage that same size spider may be seen with a ridiculous wad of 5 crickets that size, hogging food. I have regalis hatched out from this summer in groups in deli cups, some are over 3" now (the food hogs) and some are less than half that size (the ones who were intimidated). The size differences are not all sex linked, it's who eats the most, and who gets shoved aside at the dinner table. I've had to move them around to get them with siblings that are similar in size.

There's also issues of them molting at different times from each other. Do you put crickets in when there's simultaneously large skinny and hungry spiders sharing a cage with smaller ones in premolt? The crickets may eat the smaller spiders, but then, their bigger siblings may consider it too if they get hungry enough. With Poecs, almost all of their stored food reserves go into growth, and they often come out of molts with tiny, shrunken abdomens.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 06:24 AM ----------

One of the books I referenced in my concurrent thread references both species for group behavior. Check it out.
Hello
So what does it say on regalis over 4 years ? And on metallicas only introduced at 5cm DLS ? I will listen to what you've read,no use in me reading the same and you brought the book under the attention of the thread participants.