What is this tarantula?

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
I was just at a Reptile convention, I bought 2 avics. and got a freebie sling. The seller told me the type but I never really paid attention, so now I have no idea what this little guy will turn out to be. It probably looks like any other T. Sling but I would really appreciate the help anyway. Ps when the T. walked on my hand it's abdomen popped upwards and I've never seen that before[emoji23]

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Good luck with that. How could you not have paid attention to the species, that's the most basic thing to know when getting a t....most slings look exceptionally similar, especially at that miniscule size. NO ONE will be able to tell you what that is except the person you got it from. Try to get into contact or you won't figure that out for a while. I'd guess its terrestrial, but that's as far out on that limb I am willing to climb.

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
Good luck with that. How could you not have paid attention to the species, that's the most basic thing to know when getting a t....most slings look exceptionally similar, especially at that miniscule size. NO ONE will be able to tell you what that is except the person you got it from. Try to get into contact or you won't figure that out for a while. I'd guess its terrestrial, but that's as far out on that limb I am willing to climb.
Well I was pretty much pretty occupied and a little to excited and I forgot, it happens sometimes. I wasn't really expecting to get the freebie so it just happened so fast. I didn't notice that I didn't get the name of the tarantula till I left. Please don't think bad of me. It was just a pretty bad accident.

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 06:26 PM ----------

That's a pretty gutsy call, Cold Blood.
Yeah I agree because I can also guess It could be a ground dweller because it burys itself under the dirt too.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had LOTS of slings that look exactly like this. You'll just have to wait and see. Kind of exciting actually!

Based on it being a freebie I would guess something common enough to give away.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yeah I agree because I can also guess It could be a ground dweller because it burys itself under the dirt too.
Most arboreals frequently live as terrestrials in captivity, so you can't go by that. Arboreals have large scopulae on their front feet for climbing, yours doesn't.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wouldn't be surprised to see it turn out as Euathlus / Grammostola / Brachypelma spp. - but that's just a guess. Also, as it has been said before, you should've paid attention. Kinda required to provide a T the correct living conditions. So if I'd be you, I'd get in contact with the seller and ask. Perhaps he remembers...

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wouldn't be surprised to see it turn out as Euathlus / Grammostola / Brachypelma spp. - but that's just a guess. Also, as it has been said before, you should've paid attention. Kinda required to provide a T the correct living conditions. So if I'd be you, I'd get in contact with the seller and ask. Perhaps he remembers...
Yeah it looks exactly like Grammostola species as slings. But like Poec54 said, it's impossible to make any claim as to what species it is.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't you have their business name or contact info? Track them down online and contact them and ask if they remember.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How do you not listen? I would get some medication if you buy animals and don't listen to literally the most vital part of info.

Edit, that sounds rude but it isn't meant to be. I am completely serious about that.

Last edited:

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
I have had LOTS of slings that look exactly like this. You'll just have to wait and see. Kind of exciting actually!

Based on it being a freebie I would guess something common enough to give away.
Yeah I'm sure it's not a super rare T. but I hope it's good. Yeah it will be fun figuring out what this little guy will become

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 10:18 PM ----------

Yes I know I was extremely stupid and I won't do that ever again. I got in touch with the dealer and I hope he'll answer soon.

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 10:19 PM ----------

Don't you have their business name or contact info? Track them down online and contact them and ask if they remember.
Yeah he gave me his Facebook and I messaged him.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I bet he doesn't even have to remember this specific deal. He's probably giving the same thing to all the customers.

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
How do you not listen? I would get some medication if you buy animals and don't listen to literally the most vital part of info.

Edit, that sounds rude but it isn't meant to be. I am completely serious about that.
Well even if it wasn't meant to be rude it was completely rude and disrespectful. I get that I made a stupid mistake but don't be harsh. I didn't even expect to get a dang freebie. I was leaving the dang table and he just plopped the damn thing in my box and told me what it was in its Latin name I'm a freakin newbie how in the hell do I remember that. He didn't even label the little cup. I just forgot like a human I am and to help I'm only 16.

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 10:41 PM ----------

I bet he doesn't even have to remember this specific deal. He's probably giving the same thing to all the customers.
I hope so [emoji29]

cold blood

Staff member
Don't get yourself worked up peep, I feel its as much the sellers fault for not labeling it. I'm sure it won't happen to you again;)

Let us know what he says when he gets back to you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't get yourself worked up peep, I feel its as much the sellers fault for not labeling it. I'm sure it won't happen to you again;)

Your inbox is full, delete all messages, or hand over your Avics. This is an automated response from the Rapid Response Team.

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire

Yep never again will I let this happen again. Thanks for not telling me I need meds I really appreciate it. [emoji18] and yeah I will get back at everyone once I know [emoji4]

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wasn't trying to be rude. I was saying, if it is really that hard to pay attention, I would get medication. That is my opinion, like I said, I am not trying to sound rude, you're just taking it that way.